Sign in with
Your question

Hand held Computer Game Devices

Last response: in CPUs
August 8, 2003 3:43:05 AM

Now that we did 64 C and others. I thought it was time we brought this up. How many remember Merlin? One of the first handheld puter game device
August 8, 2003 4:29:11 AM

hmm....i gotta gameboy classic...thats bout it :frown:

i only had 2 games for it :frown:

i was a game deprived child :frown:

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 8, 2003 4:40:27 AM

I intended to get a Gameboy when I was a kid, but my dad instead got us a Sega Gamegear. It was very bulky, & it sucked batteries like mad, so me & my siblings only played it through the socket.

Played Outrun, Sonic, Alien Syndrome, Alex Kidd, & several other similar type games. Before that, I played those retro LCD games. I didn't like them very much tho, some of them were too hard, & I found it hard to get mad at a calculator when I lost.

-----
<A HREF="http://www.khmercity.com/city_music//Kerpal Comedy@@ kick my dog~ :-)/Jerky Boys - Kerpal - Airport Pakistani And Hindi Fight.mp3" target="_new">I'm going to get you, you bastard guy</A>.
Related resources
August 8, 2003 1:25:03 PM

Not only do I not remember it, but I don't think that I've even heard of it. :\

My portable systems have only been a TI85, a Sega Nomad, a Game Boy, and a Game Boy Advance.

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
August 8, 2003 1:38:17 PM

My first computer game was a console we plugged in to the tv, it was a blue box with two controllers, like two mice attatched to it with knobs that turned on them. It played this game that rebounded a ball back and forwards across the screen. Each person controlled a bat, the only problem was one control did nt work as good as the other, my brother and i had many fights over that little blue bit of hardware, lol. Id like to know who made that device that gave us all those hours of entertainment.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
August 8, 2003 2:08:43 PM

Sounds like PONG on an Atari 2600 to me.

I have owned a Gameboy (classic), but no other handheld consoles... I prefer the classic version - on the 'pocket' versions, the controls are too small and fiddly. And I have fairly small hands...

Ahh.. I used to while away many an hour playing Tetris, bomberman, and Zelda on that thing. Incidentally, I still think the gameboy tetris is the best version, on any platform.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:
August 8, 2003 2:19:35 PM

Gameboys and the likes are very handy for trips to ye olde laundomat. Well that and books. But who actually <i>reads</i> anymore? :o 

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
August 8, 2003 2:27:55 PM

I like books. Usually read quite a lot, but I've been struggling with <i>The Lord Of The Rings</i> lately... Just can't seem to get into it.

Played a gameboy while riding a bike a few years ago. I was quite impressed with myself :eek:  ...

---
August 8, 2003 2:41:45 PM

Have you read raymond e fiests books the Magician series. i liked them.

August 8, 2003 2:44:45 PM

I have read many of them actually.. The good old riftwar saga. Good books, but in the later ones you keep hoping Pug's gonna pop up and kick some ass... but he doesn't :frown: .. They pretty much got worse as they went on really. The first 3 or 4 were certainly entertaining though.

---
August 8, 2003 3:48:45 PM

I like the bookes in the series where the kid is a pickpocket spy, i think it has the two brothers in it. Also jenny weurts, prob wrong spelling, writes some good ones, has the same underground theme.

August 8, 2003 5:27:16 PM

Have you read "The Hobbit" ChipDeath?
It might help you to get into LOTR.

The first book of LOTR can be a bit long. The way Tolkein uses language bothers some people but in my opionion it is different and beautiful and adds to the atmosphere of the books.

Book two is where there is most of the action so if you get past book one at least liking it you'll be hooked after that.

The loving are the daring!
August 8, 2003 5:50:14 PM

Now reading I like, or at least I used to. For a while I had read quite often, going through about two or three fantasy or sci-fi novels a week. But then I got to writing and writers block drives one to frustration and before you know it I'm just sick of books in general. I burned out. :(  So instead I hop onto my PC and kill stuff. That phase will probably wear off sooner or later though and I'll go back to reading at least. It might be a while before I write again though.

And ugh, LOTR. I'm one of those people who finds that Tolkein had a great story and an amazing imagination, but he has such a boring writing style that it's really hard to actually enjoy his brilliance. It's a painful duality. His stories are so exciting that you can't stop reading ... except when you keep falling asleep. **ROFL**

To this day I still don't know how I managed to read The Hobbit in just one night. That was way back in the old high school days though when I was full of youth and vigor. That's just what happens when you procrastinate a necessary book report for too long. Heh heh.

Anywho I'll take the much worse writing style (but just as good of a story) of Roger Zelazny and his unfinished Amber series before I'll put up with anymore Tolkein. Heck, I'll even read Piers Anthony's Xanth novels before I'll touch any more Tolkein. :p  (Actually they're not such a bad read if you can get in that mood. His Incarnation series is much better though ... even if it starts to get just as boring eventually.)

However I think that some of my favorite reads come from those lesser-known authors. Dorana Durgin is one of my favorites from that category. (Though maybe by now maybe she's not so 'lesser-known' anymore. I dunno.) Maybe it's just me but her Touched By Magic series was one of the best reads ever in my opinion. I can see how I actually read TBM all in one night. (The first night that I owned it at that.)

And then there are writers like Anne Rice who just don't deserve the fame that they have. If anyone deserves to be sliced to death from papercuts inflicted with the pages of their own boring novels it's her. I'm not to fond of the stereotypical boring war and spy reads that seem to be best sellers lately either. I can't even force myself to complete them. Kind of like the Wheel of Time books actually...

Oh well. Anywho, enough of my rambling. These be just mine own opinions and I respect anyone's right to disagree with me. :) 

August 8, 2003 6:35:52 PM

Hmmm...Merin, that sounds super familiar...tell me a bit about it?

My very first game system, wasn't really mine, but it was the pong game. It was my uncle's and I used to LOVE going over to his house to play. Later they got an Atari...I think it was a 1600? The one that was before the 2600 series. LOL I wish I still had that thing around. The first one that was truly *mine* was a Coleco Vision. They must have been owned by Atari, or had a deal with them, because I also had an attachment that plugged into the CV console, and allowed me to play Atari 2600 games. All my friends thought I was the S**T. =P

Books. I love books. When reading fantasy, lately I've enjoyed Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, Terry Brooks, and my favorite David Eddings. Currently I'm reading the 1st series by Terry Brooks, and I'm waiting on the latest novels from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time to come out in paperback. I wish I had room for hardbacks.....

Gah, I ramble too much.

Later!

<font color=red> "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." - Sir Winston Churchill </font color=red>
August 8, 2003 6:44:07 PM

Quote:
and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time to come out in paperback

**ROFL** I hope you enjoy incredibly long books where you spend whole chapters just describing the appearance of a farmhouse then.

Well, okay, so maybe that's a <i>slight</i> exaggeration ... but really not much of one.

!