Best budget upgrade for mobo/cpu?

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Since I can't get a complete upgrade in time for Halo and HL2, I figure I will do a minor upgrade. If possible.

My current specs:

Compaq Mobo
Athlon XP 1500+
2(256mb) PC2100
GF4 Ti4200 64mb
40gb Maxtor 7200rpm 2mb Cache

I figure the best budget upgrade staying on the AMD side, would be a 2400+. What would be the best mobo to go with this? Unless there is a stronger value setup I could get for little more.

I'm also assuming it would be little trouble to change out my current mobo/proc for a new one. Assuming the mobo fits. Would you think this is gonna be a problem?

If I could upgrade to at least a 2400+, I figure I can then get a 9700 pro for a pretty good price and I wouldn't have to worry about bottlenecking.

I would really appreciate any help/knowledge you guys might be able to give.

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman

The best bang for your buck would be to upgrade your graphics card as much as possible, meaning you wouldn't need to replace your motherboard.

What is the maximum CPU your current board will support, or do you know this? It might not be necessary to replace the board at all, although in the long term it's certainly something you should aim for. I'm assuming that your board is an ATX form factor.

Also bear in mind that you'll need a PSU to match these new specifications, so have a look at what you've got and see if it is sufficient.

:eek: My CPU runs so hot it creates a quark-gluon plasma :eek:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What's your budget?

a new nforce2 mobo, 512Mb of RAM, CPU and a decent HSF don't necessarily cost that much...

you say your mobo is a compaq? If the whole PC is compaq then you might need a new case/PSU as well.. (these big manufacturers tend to use proprietary designs which don't conform to ATX standards).

The biggest single boost for gaming would be a new Gfx card, as Wingy says, but your Ti4200 is not actually a bad card at all... Personally I'd want to upgrade everything else before I got a new Gfx card, but that's just me.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Wingding:

I'm not sure what my mobo will support but I do know that it's a 133fsb board. So if that tells you anything I really don't know.

Chipdeath:

I really would like to upgrade by Sept. 23rd, which is when Halo is expected to be released. So by then I should be able to save up $500 give or take $100.

It's probably a good bet that Compaq used proprietary components so I guess that means I have to upgrade more than just the mobo/cpu?

Would getting a 9700pro or 9800pro really give me that much more? I know my specs would bottleneck the card. That's why I wanted to upgrade the mobo/proc so getting one of these cards would benefit me better.

What do you think I should get with $500-600?

--

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
OK: Prices from Newegg.com
Case:ANTEC MODEL SLK3700AMB w/ANTEC SMART POWER 350W 69.99
Mobo:Epox 8RDA+ 83.00
CPU:Barton XP2500+ 90.00
Cooler:Depends on what you want(overclocking or silent operation),
but a decent one costs <$20
RAM:CORSAIR 3200C2 LL TwinX512Mb (2x256Mb) 144.00

Total: 406.99.

If you don't want to overclock, you can save some cash by getting some crucial PC2700 Ram instead.

I'm sure someone can reccomend a good HSF.. What features do you want on the mobo? I recommended the Epox because I have one myself, and it's very good value, although it does lack SATA, and a couple of other bits that some other nforce2 boards have. it <i>does</i> have the nforce APU though.

You've got $100 headroom to play with it too...

---

That's a very sensible suggestion. The new case with PSU avoids the legacy issues with Compaq, which is definitely the way to go.

Given this spec, your existing graphics card should be sufficient. If I had some spare cash I'd probably go for a slightly higher specification motherboard, but that's more a personal choice.

:eek: My CPU runs so hot it creates a quark-gluon plasma :eek:

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Athlon 1500+ is not that slow. I would hold on to it. It's not worth the hassle just to jump up to 2500.

Why don't you wait until right before those games come out and buy a 9700 pro or 9800? The prices are just going to keep dropping.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's not just the chip don't forget. I've never seen a compaq motherboard win any awards for performance. I think He'll get a significant boost by upgrading everything else, and he probably won't even need a new Gfx card.

Also I bet he'll get noticeably faster performance for stuff other than gaming, as just upgrading the Gfx card wouldn't help the rest of the system at all.

Plus of course he might even find that the PSU in the compaq can't cope with the extra load of a top of the line Card - if that was the case he'd need a new PSU anyway.

---

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
I agree with Jp5 but if ya keen to ditch that mobo trade ya CPU on a XP2.4 (overclock a bit) and get a second hand mobo like a A7V266-E or similar, cost around $20 US. One way or the other If you want to get the best out of a 9700 or 9800 (or the nvidia range) wait six months for these games to come out and start from scratch. You wont regret it, thats what i'm doing, cause you will end up with a top performing system at a realistic price.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks for the responses!

I just don't know if I can wait till mid next year to play all these games. I guess I could just play HL2 etc. on the system I have now, but that would somewhat spoil getting a new system, no?

Chipdeath, thanks for those suggestions. That sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'm really torn on if I should do a budget upgrade, or just get a 9700pro/9800pro. But with the specs I have I'm just not sure I would be able to notice a difference. Although getting one of these cards would probably allow me to jack up the aa/aniso.

Right now with my Ti4200 I'm getting about 8700 in 3dmark2001. Would I even break 10k upgrading to 9700/9800?

--

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Heck yes, you'd possibly break 11k. Not sure if your motherboard is at all for overclocking, but it's worth a shot. But yeah, like others said, you'll see the most improvement out of a graphics card upgrade. Radeon 9700 pros are dirt cheap (comparatively) at the moment. The 9800 pro (128 and 256mb) aren't that much faster, like going from a ti4200 to a ti4600, it's a good margin of improvement, but might not be worth the extra $100-200 over a 9700 pro. I'd personally get the 9700 pro myself.

I want to see an <font color=blue>Ati Radeon 99999 Ultra Pro</font color=blue>, based on the <font color=red>AtiRage core</font color=red>. And people wonder how a <font color=purple>Geforce3</font color=purple> is better than a <font color=orange>Geforce4 Mx...</font color=orange>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
That might be what I will do HB. Thx.

And Quet, I think I'm gonna take your suggestion(as well as whoever else suggested it) and upgrade to a 9700pro.

But I have a couple of concerns about doing this.

1. This might sound dumb, but will I have any incompatibility issues going to a 9700pro in this aged of a system. I bought the system with a GF2 MX400 and upgraded to Ti4200 64mb with no problems. But I'm not so sure about the 9700p.

2. My, what I believe is proprietary, PSU is 300w. It didn't seem to have a problem with the Ti4200 but do you think I will run into problems with the 9700p? I know it needs an extra power output and that worries me slightly. But I almost don't care and just want to upgrade.

Hopefully somebody can help put me at ease about this. Nobody who recommended a 9700/9800 said anything about making sure I've got enough juice, so hopefully my concerns are over nothing.

Anybody running a 9700pro in a 300w psu?

I've got like 3 fans, 1 HDD, 1 CD Burner, and 1 CD-Rom. So I don't think I'm bogging down my PSU right now.

--

AT&T is the <font color=red>DEVIL</font color=red>!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
1-Nah, just maybe fragment drivers/registry if you don't do a full uninstall. There's been a lotta problems floating around in the past months about going Ati to Nvidia, or Nvidia to Ati, so just make sure you clean off all of your ti4200 drivers before you install your new Catalyst drivers.

2-Well...it's getting a little borderline at 300 watts and a beefy radeon 9700 pro (I don't think the GeforceFx 5800/5900 is any better powerwise). I'd seriously consider getting a stronger PSU, maybe 350+ watts. Crashman seems to like Fortron, i've had good luck using Enermax and Enlight. Antec and Zalman also seem to get good reviews. Take your pick.

I want to see an <font color=blue>Ati Radeon 99999 Ultra Pro</font color=blue>, based on the <font color=red>AtiRage core</font color=red>. And people wonder how a <font color=purple>Geforce3</font color=purple> is better than a <font color=orange>Geforce4 Mx...</font color=orange>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Yes, the psu concerns me as well. Oh and I've changed my video card upgade to a 9800np. This is a little cheaper, barely clocked lower(which I could oc), and has newer shaders etc.

I wonder though...is the 9800np more or less power hungry than the 9700pro?

And also I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but my computer is a Compaq, and my psu is I believe proprietary. Would I run into any problems upgrading the psu?

My case is actually a very nice one with a good amount of room/airflow. It seems mostly likely to be proprietary case, but is Compaq known to make their sh*t so other, better name-brand sh*t won't fit? Man I hope not.

--

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Oh boy, I forgot about that. You better give Crashman a PM, or find someone else who's used a compaq, i'm not sure whether or not they use proprietary PSUs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. You could kinda be in trouble then, and would have to go all out for a new motherboard/case/PSU, but for the time being, see if you can find any paperwork/electronic documents they state whether or not your compaq uses a regular ATX power supply.

I'm not sure about the radeon, the 9800np shouldn't use much more electricity than the 9700 pro. I know they had to upgrade the heatsink specs, as it does put out slightly more wattage than the 9700 pro and np. That's another good question...it's not likely to be any real large amount higher than a 9700 pro.

Also with the case, you never know with proprietary material. You *could* try the radeon 9800 np on your current 300 watt PSU, but my guess is that it would chug or lock up, something low wattage related.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Woot!

I just had a chat with a Compaq guy, and he was able to confirm that my PSU is an ATX form factor. But what struck me as odd, was that Neil(that was his name) told me to make sure the PSU I wanted to get would fit my Presario case. Doesn't the fact that it's an ATX form factor mean it will fit my case? That confused me.

If anyone can shed some light on my dumbass...or Neil's dumbass if that be the case.

Thanks.

Oh yea. Would getting the Fortron 400w be overkill considering it's max output is actually 490w?
--

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ltj311 on 08/10/03 03:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
a fortron 350 would be fine...a 400 is overkill...but then again it will last a while...you could keep the poweresupply for a few more upgrades...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Ok, here are the 4 Fortrons I'm looking at:

Fortron 300w($25.00) *Max Output : 390w(80mm fan)
Fortron 300w($27.00) *Max Output : 380w(120mm fan)
Fortron 350w($55.00) *Max Output : ???(doesn't say)
Fortron 400w($66.99) *Max Output : 490w

--

G

To get 10K 3D Mark results, i got a GF4 Ti4800SE (the price has just been cut again on Creatives website) abd that was well on the way to getting 11K unclocked (10900). Of course any card can be overclocked to do even better. With a GF3, i got a 60% increase by overclocking it.
The best one for Nvidia cards is RivaTuner.

"...and so i put another round in that person... and he didn't move no more." - US Soldier

"Stars aren't any good unless they shine." - Derek Lemon

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Well I just purchased the 400w Fortron from Newegg. I figure after I buy my new computer next summer, I can throw this puppy in there and it should still be fine.

Thanks for all your help guys and let's just hope it fits. :tongue:

--

endyen

Splendid
Have you checked with HP to see what is the fastest cpu that board will handle. If it can take the xp2400, I would suggest you go that route as well, when you can afford it. A little while ago I went from an xp1800 to an xp2400, and was plesantly supprised at the difference.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
That is a great question I can ask one of the Compaq guys. I for some reason doubt it can run that chip but it's definately worth asking. Thanks.

Not to mention the boost in video card performance as my xp1500 is just gonna bottleneck. But at least I will be able to jack up AA and AF without compromising performance too much.

--