Turning Down Sound Accelleration

There's a game I want to try to play, which freezes at a certain spot near
the beginning. I found a post at Google where a guy with same problem was
told this happens sometims with S B Live cards and to turn down his sound
accelleration some. I assume this is the slider you find under the "Sound"
tab when you open up 'dxdiag'. In my case the slider is all the way up.

Could there be any dire consequence if I do slide it down some? (I'm no
techie.) I really don't understand what this accelleration even IS. My
system is old and the card is an old circa 2000 SB Live Value. The game
might not run anyway since I barely meet min. specs, let alone recommended
but I assume if I turn down accelleration a bit and the game still won't
run I can just go back into dxdiag and slide it back up. FWIW I have
already made some changes in the game's options to make it tax my system
less. Still got that freeze.

Thanks all. - Marilyn B.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> There's a game I want to try to play, which freezes at a certain spot near
> the beginning. I found a post at Google where a guy with same problem was
> told this happens sometims with S B Live cards and to turn down his sound
> accelleration some. I assume this is the slider you find under the "Sound"
> tab when you open up 'dxdiag'. In my case the slider is all the way up.
>
> Could there be any dire consequence if I do slide it down some? (I'm no
> techie.) I really don't understand what this accelleration even IS. My
> system is old and the card is an old circa 2000 SB Live Value. The game
> might not run anyway since I barely meet min. specs, let alone recommended
> but I assume if I turn down accelleration a bit and the game still won't
> run I can just go back into dxdiag and slide it back up. FWIW I have
> already made some changes in the game's options to make it tax my system
> less. Still got that freeze.
>
> Thanks all. - Marilyn B.

Hi Marilyn,

What game and what are your general system specs (model/CPU/RAM/Video Card
memory)?

Stew

Marilyn E. Burford wrote:
> There's a game I want to try to play, which freezes at a certain spot near
> the beginning. I found a post at Google where a guy with same problem was
> told this happens sometims with S B Live cards and to turn down his sound
> accelleration some. I assume this is the slider you find under the "Sound"
> tab when you open up 'dxdiag'. In my case the slider is all the way up.
>
> Could there be any dire consequence if I do slide it down some? (I'm no
> techie.) I really don't understand what this accelleration even IS. My
> system is old and the card is an old circa 2000 SB Live Value. The game
> might not run anyway since I barely meet min. specs, let alone recommended
> but I assume if I turn down accelleration a bit and the game still won't
> run I can just go back into dxdiag and slide it back up. FWIW I have
> already made some changes in the game's options to make it tax my system
> less. Still got that freeze.
>
> Thanks all. - Marilyn B.

I think the worst that would happen is you might have to set the
acceleration slider back up to full. Won't physically hurt anything.
Give it a try.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, S.Lewis wrote:

> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > There's a game I want to try to play, which freezes at a certain spot near
> > the beginning. I found a post at Google where a guy with same problem was
> > told this happens sometims with S B Live cards and to turn down his sound
> > accelleration some. I assume this is the slider you find under the "Sound"
> > tab when you open up 'dxdiag'. In my case the slider is all the way up.
> >
> > Could there be any dire consequence if I do slide it down some? (I'm no
> > techie.) I really don't understand what this accelleration even IS. My
> > system is old and the card is an old circa 2000 SB Live Value. The game
> > might not run anyway since I barely meet min. specs, let alone recommended
> > but I assume if I turn down accelleration a bit and the game still won't
> > run I can just go back into dxdiag and slide it back up. FWIW I have
> > already made some changes in the game's options to make it tax my system
> > less. Still got that freeze.
>
> Hi Marilyn,
>
> What game and what are your general system specs (model/CPU/RAM/Video Card
> memory)?

Morrowind...on an old Dim. 4100, 512mb SDRAM, SB LIve audio, TNT2M64
video, DirectX 8.1 installed. OK...now go ahead and laugh. I don't know if
you've ever seen this game but it starts out with the protagonist being a
prisoner in a ship's hold, and a guard coming and leading him to an upper
deck, pointing at a hatch to outside, and ordering him to open the hatch
and exit the ship. The game is fine during this part, and in fact once I
set resolution downward form 800x600 to 640x480, was quite smooth. But the
second I hit the space bar to open that hatch, the picture freezes. I hear
the *sound* of the hatch opening and then that of water lapping outside,
but the game is totally frozen and only thing to do is hit reset button.
I know I'm probably playing a losing game, so to speak, but I did see this
post at google, so wondered if turning down sound accelleration was worth
a try. I just don't know really, what sound accelleration is, or does, or
possible consequences to the sound when I run other programs if I turn it
down. Thanks again.

MB

Hi Marilyn,
In all likelihood, it is not your sound driver, since you still hear the
sound after the freeze. I would serioulsy look at the video drivers.
My kids just got Sims2, and at one point the freeze occurs just like you
describe - sound good, computer hosed.
I updated the video drivers from ATI, and rebooted...now all is well with
the game (until next time, laughing...).
Jerry