i currently have windows xp home addition and it has over time acquired
several errors. I have purchased a copy of windows Xp pro. Can I install
this over my current operating system? Will I lose any of my data, or
documents? Will it affect any of the other programs I have loaded on the
computer?

firstcall wrote:

> i currently have windows xp home addition and it has over time
> acquired several errors. I have purchased a copy of windows Xp pro.
> Can I install this over my current operating system?

Assuming that yours is a retail copy (either Full or Upgrade) in general the
answer is yes (but see below).

But if it's an OEM copy, no. OEM copies can only do clean installations.

> Will I lose any
> of my data, or documents? Will it affect any of the other programs I
> have loaded on the computer?

By definition, an "upgrade" (as opposed to a clean installation) means that
all data, programs, etc. are kept intact.

However there are no guarantees that it always works perfectly. However
unlikely, it's always possible that something might go wrong. For that
reason it's prudent to be sure you have a backup of anything you can't
afford to lose before beginning.

Also note that the time doing an upgrade is *least* likely to be successful
is if you currently having problems. I would not advise trying this in your
situation.

Why do you want XP Professional instead of the XP Home you already have? Are
you aware that the two are identical except that Professional has a few
features (mostly related to networking and security) missing from Home? For
most (but not all) home users, even those with a home network, these
features aren't needed, would never be used, and buying Professional instead
of Home is a waste of money.

What problems are you having? If you'll post them here, it's likely that one
of us can help you, and no installation of either Home or Professional will
be needed.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

If the version of Pro is OEM, you will indeed lose all of your stuff.. OEM
XP allows only for clean installs

A full retail version will upgrade, as will the retail upgrade version..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"firstcall" <firstcall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i currently have windows xp home addition and it has over time acquired
> several errors. I have purchased a copy of windows Xp pro. Can I install
> this over my current operating system? Will I lose any of my data, or
> documents? Will it affect any of the other programs I have loaded on the
> computer?

BigJim

sometimes on an upgrade it will not get rid of the errors. A clean install
is the best way to go.

"firstcall" <firstcall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i currently have windows xp home addition and it has over time acquired
> several errors. I have purchased a copy of windows Xp pro. Can I install
> this over my current operating system? Will I lose any of my data, or
> documents? Will it affect any of the other programs I have loaded on the
> computer?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

If he's purchased XP Professional, I don't think he can return it. He should
back up everything, wipe the drive, and install Windows XP Professional.
> firstcall wrote:
>
>> i currently have windows xp home addition and it has over time
>> acquired several errors. I have purchased a copy of windows Xp pro.
>> Can I install this over my current operating system?
>

> Assuming that yours is a retail copy (either Full or Upgrade) in general
> the answer is yes (but see below).
>
> But if it's an OEM copy, no. OEM copies can only do clean installations.
>

>> Will I lose any
>> of my data, or documents? Will it affect any of the other programs I
>> have loaded on the computer?
>
> By definition, an "upgrade" (as opposed to a clean installation) means
> that all data, programs, etc. are kept intact.
>
> However there are no guarantees that it always works perfectly. However
> unlikely, it's always possible that something might go wrong. For that
> reason it's prudent to be sure you have a backup of anything you can't
> afford to lose before beginning.
>
> Also note that the time doing an upgrade is *least* likely to be
> successful is if you currently having problems. I would not advise trying
> this in your situation.
>

> Why do you want XP Professional instead of the XP Home you already have?
> Are you aware that the two are identical except that Professional has a
> few features (mostly related to networking and security) missing from
> Home? For most (but not all) home users, even those with a home network,
> these features aren't needed, would never be used, and buying Professional
> instead of Home is a waste of money.
>
> What problems are you having? If you'll post them here, it's likely that
> one of us can help you, and no installation of either Home or Professional
> will be needed.
>

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

usually, be re-installing the "same" version of XP over top of the installed
version will fix this. This is know as a repair reinstall. However, if you
Pro on top of Home, with-out doing an upgrade, then ythe results may not be
what you expect. You still could loose files/data and screw up programs to
a point that a "clean" installation of Xp Pro may be needed.

Brian wrote:

> If he's purchased XP Professional, I don't think he can return it.

Maybe. If it's still in the shrink wrap, most places should take it back.

Even if they won't take it back, rather than install something that will
provide him no extra benefits (*if* that's his case). he'd do better selling
it on the used market than just installing it because he has it.