TECH: BK / System 7 P1 & P2 display anomaly...

Tags:
  • Displays
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 6:34:39 PM

Intermittantly, my player 1 and player 2 displays (ONLY these two
displays) start flickering and acting odd. P1 flickers with different,
dimmer digits showing in a couple of places... P2 starts to show all
dim 7's. The P2 7's pulse and flash with the P1 display like it's
somehow getting some of the same information.

The other odd thing noticed is that in attract mode, the flickering and
dim 7's ONLY show up when displaying the score of the last game played,
not the high score to date. The high score to date displays fine.
This seems important, but I'm not sure why it would be happening.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks, as always, in advance.

More about : tech system display anomaly

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:53:20 PM

First thing to try is re-seat the edge connectors to display 1 and 2 at
least 7 times. If this doesn't work, swap your player 3 and 4 displays
to see if the same thing is happening. If so, you've narrowed it down
to a display driver board problem. Then if it still occurs, remove the
display driver board and check for cold solder or open solder joints at
the header pins. Inspect the entire board for any open or cold solder
joints. That should do it.

John
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 8:01:05 PM

I have seen problems like this occur when CPU and/or driver board
chips sockets are bad. For example, any SCANBE sockets? Something
to try, if the PIAs are socketed, is to switch them around. There
are 3 on the driver board and one on the CPU. Don't go nuts but
they are all 6821 PIAs and just start by swapping 2 of them (if
possible start with the CPU PIA), and see if anything changes.

multieng@netzero.net wrote:
> Intermittantly, my player 1 and player 2 displays (ONLY these two
> displays) start flickering and acting odd. P1 flickers with different,
> dimmer digits showing in a couple of places... P2 starts to show all
> dim 7's. The P2 7's pulse and flash with the P1 display like it's
> somehow getting some of the same information.
>
> The other odd thing noticed is that in attract mode, the flickering and
> dim 7's ONLY show up when displaying the score of the last game played,
> not the high score to date. The high score to date displays fine.
> This seems important, but I'm not sure why it would be happening.
>
> Any input would be helpful.
>
> Thanks, as always, in advance.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:33:16 PM

this is excellent advice too. because all all the score
displays light, it puts stress on the regulated 100 volt
power section. as the displays light see if the voltage
stay steady at +100/-100. now there could be a 90 volt
zener diode installed too, so it could be +90/-90, but
most people don't do that (some do to increase display
life).

Fred Kemper wrote:
> Start by checking your high voltage section
> of the power supply. (The +100vdc and -100vdc).
>
> If okay, proceed.
>
> Try swapping, (with the power off!), players 1&2
> with players 2&3. See if problem moves with the
> display(s). If so, you probably have a faulty display
> tube. Swap between known "good" display and
> bad one(s) to isolate problem.
>
> --
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> ******************
>
> <multieng@netzero.net> wrote in message news:1121376879.537662.283400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Intermittantly, my player 1 and player 2 displays (ONLY these two
> > displays) start flickering and acting odd. P1 flickers with different,
> > dimmer digits showing in a couple of places... P2 starts to show all
> > dim 7's. The P2 7's pulse and flash with the P1 display like it's
> > somehow getting some of the same information.
> >
> > The other odd thing noticed is that in attract mode, the flickering and
> > dim 7's ONLY show up when displaying the score of the last game played,
> > not the high score to date. The high score to date displays fine.
> > This seems important, but I'm not sure why it would be happening.
> >
> > Any input would be helpful.
> >
> > Thanks, as always, in advance.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:59:53 PM

Start by checking your high voltage section
of the power supply. (The +100vdc and -100vdc).

If okay, proceed.

Try swapping, (with the power off!), players 1&2
with players 2&3. See if problem moves with the
display(s). If so, you probably have a faulty display
tube. Swap between known "good" display and
bad one(s) to isolate problem.

--
Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
******************

<multieng@netzero.net> wrote in message news:1121376879.537662.283400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Intermittantly, my player 1 and player 2 displays (ONLY these two
> displays) start flickering and acting odd. P1 flickers with different,
> dimmer digits showing in a couple of places... P2 starts to show all
> dim 7's. The P2 7's pulse and flash with the P1 display like it's
> somehow getting some of the same information.
>
> The other odd thing noticed is that in attract mode, the flickering and
> dim 7's ONLY show up when displaying the score of the last game played,
> not the high score to date. The high score to date displays fine.
> This seems important, but I'm not sure why it would be happening.
>
> Any input would be helpful.
>
> Thanks, as always, in advance.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:02:48 AM

grus_jc@yahoo.com wrote:
: First thing to try is re-seat the edge connectors to display 1 and 2 at
: least 7 times. If this doesn't work, swap your player 3 and 4 displays
: to see if the same thing is happening. If so, you've narrowed it down
: to a display driver board problem. Then if it still occurs, remove the
: display driver board and check for cold solder or open solder joints at
: the header pins. Inspect the entire board for any open or cold solder
: joints. That should do it.

Highly doubtful it's the connectors.

Most likely, it's one of the BCD -> 7 segment decoders going.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu