Just want: XP (on IDE C) ghosted to SATA & become new driv..

August 24, 2005 8:07:51 PM

I haven't seen a recipe on how to do this successfully.

I've tried Ghosting my XP IDE C-Drive to my SATA (F-Drive, marked as
having OS after copying). If I reboot, the F-Drive appears to be my
system disk, with the C-Drive being the swap drive (?).

If I disconnect the IDE drive, the SATA is still the F-Drive and the
system appears to hang.

Is there an idiot-proof way of doing this? My SATA drive is the 5th
physical drive since there are 2 IDE channels. Does WinXP remember that
it was installed on the 1st "physical" drive...and refuse to work?

More about : ide ghosted sata driv

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 8:07:52 PM

Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/20...

How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pat Coghlan" wrote:

| I haven't seen a recipe on how to do this successfully.
|
| I've tried Ghosting my XP IDE C-Drive to my SATA (F-Drive, marked as
| having OS after copying). If I reboot, the F-Drive appears to be my
| system disk, with the C-Drive being the swap drive (?).
|
| If I disconnect the IDE drive, the SATA is still the F-Drive and the
| system appears to hang.
|
| Is there an idiot-proof way of doing this? My SATA drive is the 5th
| physical drive since there are 2 IDE channels. Does WinXP remember that
| it was installed on the 1st "physical" drive...and refuse to work?
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 8:08:55 PM

You cant ghost IDE to SATA or vis-versa,only IDE to IDE on same cable.Youre
best bet is clean xp installation,and run file transfer wizard on youre IDE
hd first,set the wizard as old computer.

"Pat Coghlan" wrote:

> I haven't seen a recipe on how to do this successfully.
>
> I've tried Ghosting my XP IDE C-Drive to my SATA (F-Drive, marked as
> having OS after copying). If I reboot, the F-Drive appears to be my
> system disk, with the C-Drive being the swap drive (?).
>
> If I disconnect the IDE drive, the SATA is still the F-Drive and the
> system appears to hang.
>
> Is there an idiot-proof way of doing this? My SATA drive is the 5th
> physical drive since there are 2 IDE channels. Does WinXP remember that
> it was installed on the 1st "physical" drive...and refuse to work?

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:25:51 AM

> Andrew E. wrote:
>
>> You cant ghost IDE to SATA or vis-versa,only IDE to IDE on same cable.Youre
>> best bet is clean xp installation,and run file transfer wizard on youre IDE
>> hd first,set the wizard as old computer.

Well, part of that is wrong, and I strongly suspect that ALL of it is wrong.
First, one *can* make a clone (or image file) of a partition on one IDE
channel (i.e. cable) and have it placed in the cloning (or imaging) operation
onto a HD on another IDE channel (i.e. another cable).
Secondly, I have yet to hear that Serial ATA is not IDE and that cloning/
imaging utilities treat SATA and PATA differently - they're differentiated
only between the controller and the HD.
Thirdly, I've never read any literature for cloning/imaging utilities that
mentions any limitations on SATA versus PATA drives.

Unless shown otherwise, I would conclude that whatever can be done
through software for a PATA drive can be done for a SATA drive.
For HD manufacturers to make SATA incompaitble with software
written for PATA would be totally suicidal, and I doubt that they would
make such a blunder.

*TimDaniels*
!