Just want: XP (on IDE C) ghosted to SATA & become new driv..

I haven't seen a recipe on how to do this successfully.

I've tried Ghosting my XP IDE C-Drive to my SATA (F-Drive, marked as
having OS after copying). If I reboot, the F-Drive appears to be my
system disk, with the C-Drive being the swap drive (?).

If I disconnect the IDE drive, the SATA is still the F-Drive and the
system appears to hang.

Is there an idiot-proof way of doing this? My SATA drive is the 5th
physical drive since there are 2 IDE channels. Does WinXP remember that
it was installed on the 1st "physical" drive...and refuse to work?
3 answers Last reply
More about just want ghosted sata driv

    Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

    How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pat Coghlan" wrote:

    | I haven't seen a recipe on how to do this successfully.
    |
    | I've tried Ghosting my XP IDE C-Drive to my SATA (F-Drive, marked as
    | having OS after copying). If I reboot, the F-Drive appears to be my
    | system disk, with the C-Drive being the swap drive (?).
    |
    | If I disconnect the IDE drive, the SATA is still the F-Drive and the
    | system appears to hang.
    |
    | Is there an idiot-proof way of doing this? My SATA drive is the 5th
    | physical drive since there are 2 IDE channels. Does WinXP remember that
    | it was installed on the 1st "physical" drive...and refuse to work?

    You cant ghost IDE to SATA or vis-versa,only IDE to IDE on same cable.Youre
    best bet is clean xp installation,and run file transfer wizard on youre IDE
    hd first,set the wizard as old computer.

    "Pat Coghlan" wrote:

    > I haven't seen a recipe on how to do this successfully.
    >
    > I've tried Ghosting my XP IDE C-Drive to my SATA (F-Drive, marked as
    > having OS after copying). If I reboot, the F-Drive appears to be my
    > system disk, with the C-Drive being the swap drive (?).
    >
    > If I disconnect the IDE drive, the SATA is still the F-Drive and the
    > system appears to hang.
    >
    > Is there an idiot-proof way of doing this? My SATA drive is the 5th
    > physical drive since there are 2 IDE channels. Does WinXP remember that
    > it was installed on the 1st "physical" drive...and refuse to work?

    > Andrew E. wrote:
    >
    >> You cant ghost IDE to SATA or vis-versa,only IDE to IDE on same cable.Youre
    >> best bet is clean xp installation,and run file transfer wizard on youre IDE
    >> hd first,set the wizard as old computer.

    Well, part of that is wrong, and I strongly suspect that ALL of it is wrong.
    First, one *can* make a clone (or image file) of a partition on one IDE
    channel (i.e. cable) and have it placed in the cloning (or imaging) operation
    onto a HD on another IDE channel (i.e. another cable).
    Secondly, I have yet to hear that Serial ATA is not IDE and that cloning/
    imaging utilities treat SATA and PATA differently - they're differentiated
    only between the controller and the HD.
    Thirdly, I've never read any literature for cloning/imaging utilities that
    mentions any limitations on SATA versus PATA drives.

    Unless shown otherwise, I would conclude that whatever can be done
    through software for a PATA drive can be done for a SATA drive.
    For HD manufacturers to make SATA incompaitble with software
    written for PATA would be totally suicidal, and I doubt that they would
    make such a blunder.

    *TimDaniels*

SATA Windows XP