I was running Adaware with the latest updates, and got a Norton Antivirus
Pop up that it had found
C:\windows\system32\apihookdll.dll pws.hooker.trojan

I could not repair the file with NAV and could not close the popup unless I
used task manager.

I did a google and found out this is a keylogger.
Did a full scan with NAV it found the virus and could not repair it but
quarantined it.

The symantec site had this info for removal

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
1.. Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

2.. Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

3.. In the right pane, delete the following value:

"kernel32"="C:\%System%\kern32.exe"

4.. Click Registry, and click Exit.
5..
I could not find that file.

Ran a full trojan scan with The Cleaner and it did not find anything.

Am I now rid of the problem since it was quarantined by NAV, or do I need
to take some further steps?

Bob

This is the first virus or trojan I had found in about 3 years.

here is trend micro's instruction on how to repair it with the additional
comment on how to avoid it in the future (update windows with the security
patch to close the door on what this thing tries to exploit)...
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BUGBEAR.A

"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I was running Adaware with the latest updates, and got a Norton Antivirus
>Pop up that it had found
> C:\windows\system32\apihookdll.dll pws.hooker.trojan
>
> I could not repair the file with NAV and could not close the popup unless
> I used task manager.
>
> I did a google and found out this is a keylogger.
> Did a full scan with NAV it found the virus and could not repair it but
> quarantined it.
>

> The symantec site had this info for removal
>
> Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
> 1.. Type regedit
>
> Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
>

> 2.. Navigate to the key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
>

> 3.. In the right pane, delete the following value:
>
> "kernel32"="C:\%System%\kern32.exe"
>

> 4.. Click Registry, and click Exit.
> 5..
> I could not find that file.
>

> Ran a full trojan scan with The Cleaner and it did not find anything.
>
> Am I now rid of the problem since it was quarantined by NAV, or do I need
> to take some further steps?
>
> Bob
>
> This is the first virus or trojan I had found in about 3 years.

> I was running Adaware with the latest updates, and got a Norton Antivirus
> Pop up that it had found
> C:\windows\system32\apihookdll.dll pws.hooker.trojan

ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/

clrav.com

One shot program, has 4 possible outcomes - nothing found, found and
cleaned, found & cleaned but needs a reboot and re-run to complete, and
program error.

Covers all the major showstoppers from the last few years

Thanks for the link. I had all of the current MS patches for XPhome SP2.
Does this get on a PC by simply opening an email (not an attachment)? The
grandkids are coming tomorrow and they know not to open attachment when they
check their email. And I never open an attachment or a suspicious email.

Bob
> here is trend micro's instruction on how to repair it with the additional
> comment on how to avoid it in the future (update windows with the security
> patch to close the door on what this thing tries to exploit)...
> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BUGBEAR.A
>
> "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>I was running Adaware with the latest updates, and got a Norton Antivirus
>>Pop up that it had found
>> C:\windows\system32\apihookdll.dll pws.hooker.trojan
>>
>> I could not repair the file with NAV and could not close the popup unless
>> I used task manager.
>>
>> I did a google and found out this is a keylogger.
>> Did a full scan with NAV it found the virus and could not repair it but
>> quarantined it.
>>

>> The symantec site had this info for removal
>>
>> Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
>> 1.. Type regedit
>>
>> Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
>>

>> 2.. Navigate to the key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
>>

>> 3.. In the right pane, delete the following value:
>>
>> "kernel32"="C:\%System%\kern32.exe"
>>

>> 4.. Click Registry, and click Exit.
>> 5..
>> I could not find that file.
>>

>> Ran a full trojan scan with The Cleaner and it did not find anything.
>>
>> Am I now rid of the problem since it was quarantined by NAV, or do I
>> need to take some further steps?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> This is the first virus or trojan I had found in about 3 years.

Thanks for the link.
Ran it and nothing found.

Bob
"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I was running Adaware with the latest updates, and got a Norton Antivirus
>> Pop up that it had found
>> C:\windows\system32\apihookdll.dll pws.hooker.trojan
>
> ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/
>
> clrav.com
>
> One shot program, has 4 possible outcomes - nothing found, found and
> cleaned, found & cleaned but needs a reboot and re-run to complete, and
> program error.
>
> Covers all the major showstoppers from the last few years
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

you would have had to run (click) on the attachment. you probably were not
infected. mantec/nav advertises when the find something and bother/confuses
the user... all so that they can promote their name. the end result of
which was wasting your time with something that the program automatically
dealt with (stopping it before it became a problem). other vendors software
(mcafee, ca, etc) do not do this unless it is something that requires user
intervention. just another reason to dislike symantec/nav.

> Thanks for the link. I had all of the current MS patches for XPhome SP2.
> Does this get on a PC by simply opening an email (not an attachment)? The
> grandkids are coming tomorrow and they know not to open attachment when
> they check their email. And I never open an attachment or a suspicious
> email.
>
> Bob
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> here is trend micro's instruction on how to repair it with the additional
>> comment on how to avoid it in the future (update windows with the
>> security patch to close the door on what this thing tries to exploit)...
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BUGBEAR.A
>>
>> "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>>I was running Adaware with the latest updates, and got a Norton Antivirus
>>>Pop up that it had found
>>> C:\windows\system32\apihookdll.dll pws.hooker.trojan
>>>
>>> I could not repair the file with NAV and could not close the popup
>>> unless I used task manager.
>>>
>>> I did a google and found out this is a keylogger.
>>> Did a full scan with NAV it found the virus and could not repair it but
>>> quarantined it.
>>>

>>> The symantec site had this info for removal
>>>
>>> Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
>>> 1.. Type regedit
>>>
>>> Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
>>>

>>> 2.. Navigate to the key:
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
>>>

>>> 3.. In the right pane, delete the following value:
>>>
>>> "kernel32"="C:\%System%\kern32.exe"
>>>

>>> 4.. Click Registry, and click Exit.
>>> 5..
>>> I could not find that file.
>>>

>>> Ran a full trojan scan with The Cleaner and it did not find anything.
>>>
>>> Am I now rid of the problem since it was quarantined by NAV, or do I
>>> need to take some further steps?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>>> This is the first virus or trojan I had found in about 3 years.

thanks:
I ran all of the mentioned scans and nothing was found. Like I said I never
open attachments. I think I am done with NAV.

Bob
> you would have had to run (click) on the attachment. you probably were
> not infected. mantec/nav advertises when the find something and
> bother/confuses the user... all so that they can promote their name. the
> end result of which was wasting your time with something that the program
> automatically dealt with (stopping it before it became a problem). other
> vendors software (mcafee, ca, etc) do not do this unless it is something
> that requires user intervention. just another reason to dislike
> symantec/nav.

> Thanks for the link.
> Ran it and nothing found.

I`d seriously consider NAV being wrong on this one then :-}

I run a firewall; webroot spysweeper is always active: Spybot Search and
Destroy in always active: my email is checked with NAV: and I do not click
on any ads on websites: and the preview pane is off for my email. I check my
email with telnet on the server before I download anything. I have a feeling
it might have been a site the grandkids went to. Just in case I always run
all of the security software and do a Ghost Image before they get here. All
unneeded services are turned off also.

Bob

"Cyclops" <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote in message

my experience with the software and support from symantec vs mcafee is the
complete opposite of yours.
trend micro is the current best of the lot in terms of effectiveness and
efficiency... symantec is at the bottom of my list in large part because of
their subscription renewal service which i consider to be horribly
misleading. they happily take peoples money to renewing their old software
subscriptions without adequately warning them that the subscription renewal
of old software leaves then wide open to the current big threats of trojans
and spyware... many people come to me to solve their trojan/spyware problems
telling me that they renewed their norton anitvirus subscription and keep it
up to date and wonder why their computer is infected...

"Cyclops" <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote in message

Leanin Cedar,
I pretty much follow your procedure as well. But what is: " check my
email with telnet on the server"?
I use Outlook with the preview panes off, how would I employ telnet?
Paul

>I run a firewall; webroot spysweeper is always active: Spybot Search and
>Destroy in always active: my email is checked with NAV: and I do not click
>on any ads on websites: and the preview pane is off for my email. I check
>my email with telnet on the server before I download anything. I have a
>feeling it might have been a site the grandkids went to. Just in case I
>always run all of the security software and do a Ghost Image before they
>get here. All unneeded services are turned off also.
>
> Bob
>
> "Cyclops" <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote in message

Although, I certainly *could* check with telnet, I think it is a bit of
overkill.
I use a product called mailwasher, which essentially does the same thing -
and allows me to either delete the message, bounce the message (send an NDR
to the sender), add the sender to a blacklist file, or add the sender to a
whitelist.
Once it pre-processes all the mail, it then launches my regular email
program (outlook express) which does the actual email collection from my
ISP.
This system works EXTREMELY well for me, but YMMV.
Jerry