Hello,

I recently put together a computer with the following components:

Athlon XP 1700 Retail
Shuttle AN35N Ultra (nforce2 ultra 400)
2x256 MB Samsung DDR 400
Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm
Sapphire Radeon 9200SE
Codegen case w/350 watt psu

When I pushed the power button, nothing happened. I checked and rechecked the cables. My case did not have a manual so I am questioning some of the wires I connected from the front panel to the motherboard.

I connected the HDD LED and RESET connectors to the mb. Everthing else after that is different though. The other case wires are M/B switch, POWERLED (2 pins), and 2 pins that are blank. The power LED on the mb want 3 pins though. I also tried connecting the M/B switch to the Power On/Off Switch Connector (PWON) on the MB but with no success. The other connectors on the MB are Green LED, EPMI, and speaker connectors.

Also, I connected the ATX 12V and ATX Power wires to the MB from the PSU. However, I still have a bundle of wires (either 6 or 12, I forgot) that are not connected to the MB from the power supply, but I can't see any connector on the MB for them.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

More about : comp

August 8, 2003 11:21:42 PM

In no particular order

1)
a) Does the Mobo light up? Do you see a light on the Mobo?
b) If not turn on the PSU power switch.

2)
a) Are any fans running, especially the one from the CPU cooler?
b) Did you plug the one from the CPU cooler into the Mobo?

3)
a) Do you hear any beeps codes?
b) If yeis is the memory put in properly?

etc.

----------------------------
Usually a system is tested with minimum components and outside the case, before installation. (on non-conducting surface)

Minimum components: 1) CPU and cooler, 2) Video Card 3)1 stick of memory and 4) PSU. All components connected up.
Then using screw driver short the On/Off switch, on the mobo, to see if it posts.

Yep... forgot to say mobo... thx PIII

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/08/03 09:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a c 159 à CPUs
August 8, 2003 11:27:58 PM

Check the manual again for the power switch lead position. The board won't start unless it's connected properly. Also check the power supply toggle switch. If all else fails, remove the board and place it on the box it came in. Now use only the basics, cpu-heatsink, video card, one stick of memory, atx connector, and power switch lead. You might have to remove the power supply from the case to reach the board.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 9, 2003 12:17:04 AM

if you do all that and you have no luck...

remove the atx connector and short the green wire to the black wire with a paperclip...the psu fan should come on...if not you have a dud psu...

btw...

flinx said to short the on off switch...umm i think he ment the power sw connector on the mobo...or whatever your manufacturer is calling it....also see if you can download a manual from the manufacturer...that would help...lol

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 9, 2003 1:04:43 AM

Not the ole dud Psu? What a drag that is.
August 9, 2003 6:06:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.

How do you short the wires? Also, I checked the Codegen website and could not find any manuals to download. Does anyone know any site to look? I also checked Google but had no success. If the PSU is bad can I mail it back and get another one?

Thanks again.
August 9, 2003 6:34:25 PM

You still haven't cleared up what is going on over there.
Do you have any additional clues for us?

1) The case wires are labeled and so is the Mobo.
The mobo manual also, usually, gives a diagram for positions.

Look at the connectors from the case. There should be something marked Pwr Sw (power switch, or something close to that) or HHD (for Hard Disk Drive). Now look for similar marking on the motherboard.

Did you try shorting the on/off switch on the motherboard with a screw driver? You don't need a case manual for that but u do need a motherboard manual.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/09/03 02:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 9, 2003 8:44:57 PM

My problem is that the computer does not turn on (no fans moving, lights on inside, etc.) I flipped the PSU switch on and connected the 20 pin power connnector and the 4 pin 12V connector, but nothing happened. I bought an Antec 350W PSU and followed the same procedure but nothing happened. I followed the advise of just connecting the PSU, MB, video card, 1 stick of RAM, and the CPU and cooler.

The case has a RESET wire and a M/B SW wire. I connected the RESET to the RESET pins on the MB and the M/B wire to the ATX Power On/Off pins on the MB. I did not connect any of the LED wires yet because I am trying to figure out the problem.

How do you "short" the on/off switch on the motherboard with a screwdriver? I read the manual but could not find anything about that.

I hope this makes my situation more clear.
August 9, 2003 8:49:58 PM

short with a screwdriver..it has been said two times already...look at my previous posts in this forum explaining it...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 11, 2003 4:49:07 AM

Ok, I didn't know the paperclip thing was shorting. I got it now and everything finally turned on after shorting with a screwdriver. Thanks again for the help. I now have a new problem although not as bad.

I loaded XP Pro but whenever I shut down, the system seems to turn off except the fans (cpu and case fans) stay on. I have to turn off the power supply to turn them off. Any explanations? I am using an Antec 350w power supply now.
August 11, 2003 4:56:03 AM

does it come up with a screen...

"it is now safe to shut your computer down"

or something to that effect?

Also make sure you have all of your mobo and chipset drivers installed...

August 11, 2003 3:39:19 PM

Yes, there is a screen with my icons and the wallpaper. Everything works normal. When I go to Start and click Turn Off Computer, the screen turns gray and and turns off, which is expected. However, the fans stay on still, despite the system being off. I installed all the drivers for the mobo and chipset along with the video card.
August 11, 2003 4:18:27 PM

his fans are haunted :x

-------

bloops!
August 11, 2003 7:41:06 PM

odd...

ok here are some ideas...i will think of more later...but to get you started....

Go into power options (control pannel) enable anything along the lines of acpi support (if it is there)...

Go into the bios...look at the power options (or whatever your manufacturer is calling it...give it a once over...if you see anything suspicious report it back...also if there is an option make sure acpi support is enabled...

Also let me get this strait...you just see a Black screen when the computer should be shut down?

August 12, 2003 5:58:48 PM

The acpi support is enabled in the bios menu. I also checked the power management under windows xp but the problem is still there.
When I turn off the computer from Start, the computer shuts down normally (blue screen with Windows XP logo and says Logging Off, Saving Settings, Shutting Down, etc.) The computer turns off normal but the fans still stay on. Nothing else is wrong. It is not a big problem anymore since I am now used to turning off the PSU switch after I shut down.
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.
August 12, 2003 6:43:13 PM

Here's what I do when I have computer problems...Take your computer and carefully place it in the back of your pick-up truck. Drive it out to a remote, secluded spot where no one will hear it scream. Whisper to it reassuring words...and then wail on it with all your might!!!! You'll know when its had enough when it begs for mercy, or when it rattles...alot... Hope this helped...
BTW DIE NEWBIE DIE!!!
(You have just been officially greated by the Forum Grouch)

Get your own sig!!! :tongue:
August 12, 2003 7:15:50 PM

have you tried a windows reinstallation? Sounds kinda fishy...i think it is the os not the board...

August 12, 2003 8:35:55 PM

This is probably a silly question, but have you actually connected everything properly yet, or are you still shorting it to get it to run?

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
August 12, 2003 11:45:29 PM

I haven't done a reinstallation and I don't think I will because I already have a lot of stuff I downloaded (using a 56k) and installed. I can live with turning off the switch everytime I turn off the computer, if the OS is really the problem.
August 12, 2003 11:48:27 PM

I connected everything and went over my work. The computer case is closed right now.
!