my son's computer will not boot, the message given is
problem with setupdd.sys
page fault in non paged area
check all hardware and software for correct installation
the computer has no floppy drive, anyone know how to make a bootable cd to
do the same job as the floppy rescue disks?
TIA

You can create a bootable CD which gives you the Recovery Console (like the
floppy disk set) by downloading and burning this little 7mb ISO file
http://home.comcast.net/~access_denied/DTU/RC.iso

You must have third party CD Burning software installed to correctly burn an
ISO image file. This should help if you are unsure
http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm Scroll down to the section for your CD
Burning software.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> my son's computer will not boot, the message given is
> problem with setupdd.sys
> page fault in non paged area
> check all hardware and software for correct installation
> the computer has no floppy drive, anyone know how to make a bootable cd to
> do the same job as the floppy rescue disks?
> TIA

thanks harry but the link you give takes me to a page that is 'unavailable
at this time'
i will keep trying it time to time
> You can create a bootable CD which gives you the Recovery Console (like
> the
> floppy disk set) by downloading and burning this little 7mb ISO file
> http://home.comcast.net/~access_denied/DTU/RC.iso
>
> You must have third party CD Burning software installed to correctly burn
> an
> ISO image file. This should help if you are unsure
> http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm Scroll down to the section for your CD
> Burning software.
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> my son's computer will not boot, the message given is
>> problem with setupdd.sys
>> page fault in non paged area
>> check all hardware and software for correct installation
>> the computer has no floppy drive, anyone know how to make a bootable cd
>> do the same job as the floppy rescue disks?
>> TIA

Same here - the link is a Comcast page that says the page is unavailable at
this time.

"iz0nlee" wrote:

> thanks harry but the link you give takes me to a page that is 'unavailable
> at this time'
> i will keep trying it time to time
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > You can create a bootable CD which gives you the Recovery Console (like
> > the
> > floppy disk set) by downloading and burning this little 7mb ISO file
> > http://home.comcast.net/~access_denied/DTU/RC.iso
> >
> > You must have third party CD Burning software installed to correctly burn
> > an
> > ISO image file. This should help if you are unsure
> > http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm Scroll down to the section for your CD
> > Burning software.
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> my son's computer will not boot, the message given is
> >> problem with setupdd.sys
> >> page fault in non paged area
> >> check all hardware and software for correct installation
> >> the computer has no floppy drive, anyone know how to make a bootable cd
> >> do the same job as the floppy rescue disks?
> >> TIA

"iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>my son's computer will not boot, the message given is
>problem with setupdd.sys
>page fault in non paged area
>check all hardware and software for correct installation
>the computer has no floppy drive, anyone know how to make a bootable cd to
>do the same job as the floppy rescue disks?
>TIA

Can you start the computer in Safe Mode? To start Windows XP in Safe
Mode turn the computer on and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as
soon as the first information of any kind shows on the screen. Keep
tapping until the Windows XP Startup Menu appears and choose Safe Mode
from the menu.

If it will start okay in Safe Mode then use System Restore to set the
computer back to most recent restore point that is prior to the onset
of the problem.

You also need to check for hardware problems, as these can cause the
same error. Download a free memory diagnostic from one of the
following sites and create a bootable CD containing the program:
DocMemory http://www.simmtester.com (diskette only)
Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
(will create CD)
Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/ (will create CD)

Also go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download their
free diagnostic software. With some manufacturer's the download will
create a bootable CD while others are diskette only.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP