Problem with Fan on DELL latitude - plz help!

I have an annoying problem with my dual Fan C810 laptop.

After some hours usage (usually) the fans when turned on
(automatically) make a grating noise - very loud and can be heard in
the next room.

I suspect it has something to do with heat expanding the plastic? As
after cooling the fans seem to revert to normal behavior.

The behavior affects both fans - sometimes simultaneously sometimes in
isolation (I used a fan control program to test this)

I have managed to make the problem acceptable by running the CPU
permanently at 733MHZ (speedstepped from 1.13GHZ) - no great problem
for me as I only surf the web and use Office programs - but the
problem doesn't go away as the fans invariably need to be used and
switch on automatically and voila.... after a while the grating noise
reappears.

The Fan control program I use "Fan Control 2.2.0" by Christian Diefer
allows me to turn off the fans permanently. Now.. at 1.13GHZ I guess
this would make for a fried motherboard - but speedstepped permanently
to 733MHZ (via the authors Speedswitch XP) could I get away with this?
The temperature at the lower speed rarely reaches 60C and averages
around 52-55C... cooling required?

Thanks for any help

Chris

I can be e-mailed at: athena (at) rol (dot) ru
3 answers Last reply
More about problem dell latitude help

    replace the fan and run the system as it was designed. there are several of
    those fans listed on ebay starting at $10 (perhaps the same price as dell?)
    and the service manual is available for free here
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc810/sm_en/index.htm

    "rfc" <rfc2000@usa.net> wrote in message

    > I have an annoying problem with my dual Fan C810 laptop.
    >
    > After some hours usage (usually) the fans when turned on
    > (automatically) make a grating noise - very loud and can be heard in
    > the next room.
    >
    > I suspect it has something to do with heat expanding the plastic? As
    > after cooling the fans seem to revert to normal behavior.
    >
    > The behavior affects both fans - sometimes simultaneously sometimes in
    > isolation (I used a fan control program to test this)
    >
    > I have managed to make the problem acceptable by running the CPU
    > permanently at 733MHZ (speedstepped from 1.13GHZ) - no great problem
    > for me as I only surf the web and use Office programs - but the
    > problem doesn't go away as the fans invariably need to be used and
    > switch on automatically and voila.... after a while the grating noise
    > reappears.
    >
    > The Fan control program I use "Fan Control 2.2.0" by Christian Diefer
    > allows me to turn off the fans permanently. Now.. at 1.13GHZ I guess
    > this would make for a fried motherboard - but speedstepped permanently
    > to 733MHZ (via the authors Speedswitch XP) could I get away with this?
    > The temperature at the lower speed rarely reaches 60C and averages
    > around 52-55C... cooling required?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > I can be e-mailed at: athena (at) rol (dot) ru

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:05:23 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >replace the fan and run the system as it was designed. there are several of
    >those fans listed on ebay starting at $10 (perhaps the same price as dell?)
    >and the service manual is available for free here
    >http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc810/sm_en/index.htm

    Thanks for the advice - however having an earlier C800 the same
    problem occurred leading me to believe it is integral in the design
    and a new fan would perform similarly under heat stress

    What I need to know is as before, does the CPU need cooling below 60C?

    thanks

    >"rfc" <rfc2000@usa.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have an annoying problem with my dual Fan C810 laptop.
    >>
    >> After some hours usage (usually) the fans when turned on
    >> (automatically) make a grating noise - very loud and can be heard in
    >> the next room.
    >>
    >> I suspect it has something to do with heat expanding the plastic? As
    >> after cooling the fans seem to revert to normal behavior.
    >>
    >> The behavior affects both fans - sometimes simultaneously sometimes in
    >> isolation (I used a fan control program to test this)
    >>
    >> I have managed to make the problem acceptable by running the CPU
    >> permanently at 733MHZ (speedstepped from 1.13GHZ) - no great problem
    >> for me as I only surf the web and use Office programs - but the
    >> problem doesn't go away as the fans invariably need to be used and
    >> switch on automatically and voila.... after a while the grating noise
    >> reappears.
    >>
    >> The Fan control program I use "Fan Control 2.2.0" by Christian Diefer
    >> allows me to turn off the fans permanently. Now.. at 1.13GHZ I guess
    >> this would make for a fried motherboard - but speedstepped permanently
    >> to 733MHZ (via the authors Speedswitch XP) could I get away with this?
    >> The temperature at the lower speed rarely reaches 60C and averages
    >> around 52-55C... cooling required?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> I can be e-mailed at: athena (at) rol (dot) ru

    i like to solve the cause of a problem and not a symptom... but this should
    help you decide whatever it is that you want to do...
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentiumiii/sb/cs-007510.htm

    > On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:05:23 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    > <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >replace the fan and run the system as it was designed. there are several
    of
    > >those fans listed on ebay starting at $10 (perhaps the same price as
    dell?)
    > >and the service manual is available for free here
    > >http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc810/sm_en/index.htm
    > >

    > Thanks for the advice - however having an earlier C800 the same
    > problem occurred leading me to believe it is integral in the design
    > and a new fan would perform similarly under heat stress
    >
    > What I need to know is as before, does the CPU need cooling below 60C?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > >"rfc" <rfc2000@usa.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I have an annoying problem with my dual Fan C810 laptop.
    > >>
    > >> After some hours usage (usually) the fans when turned on
    > >> (automatically) make a grating noise - very loud and can be heard in
    > >> the next room.
    > >>
    > >> I suspect it has something to do with heat expanding the plastic? As
    > >> after cooling the fans seem to revert to normal behavior.
    > >>
    > >> The behavior affects both fans - sometimes simultaneously sometimes in
    > >> isolation (I used a fan control program to test this)
    > >>
    > >> I have managed to make the problem acceptable by running the CPU
    > >> permanently at 733MHZ (speedstepped from 1.13GHZ) - no great problem
    > >> for me as I only surf the web and use Office programs - but the
    > >> problem doesn't go away as the fans invariably need to be used and
    > >> switch on automatically and voila.... after a while the grating noise
    > >> reappears.
    > >>
    > >> The Fan control program I use "Fan Control 2.2.0" by Christian Diefer
    > >> allows me to turn off the fans permanently. Now.. at 1.13GHZ I guess
    > >> this would make for a fried motherboard - but speedstepped permanently
    > >> to 733MHZ (via the authors Speedswitch XP) could I get away with this?
    > >> The temperature at the lower speed rarely reaches 60C and averages
    > >> around 52-55C... cooling required?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help
    > >>
    > >> Chris
    > >>
    > >> I can be e-mailed at: athena (at) rol (dot) ru

Dell Computers Product