CPU Overheating Issue...Motherboard Related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, so hears the deal.

The other day my friend was out having a nice ice coffee when she spilled it on her Fujitsu S2110 Laptop. It ran for another 2 mins and shutdown, refusing to start up.

She asked me to have a fiddle around to see if I could get it to work so I started tonight on it to some success!

Before I started on it, if I had power plugged in and battery in the computer would not start at all. No lights/LED displays even when AC was plugged in.
I took the whole thing apart and found clumps of solidified milk in between different components and found that the GPU was covered in solidified coffee. I cleaned this all up (Most of what I could see) with a damp cloth and a Flat Head screw driver to get in between tight gaps.

I then tried to start the computer again and it worked! The only thing is though is that it shuts down within 1min of starting up!
I cleaned out the fan and the Heatsink but while monitoring the temperature manually with my finger I booted it up again and found that the CPU Temperature ontop climbed in a matter of seconds to boiling temperatures in which I had to remove my finger. Bloody Hot! A couple of seconds later, Shutdown.

Im wondering if there may be something un-repairable within the motherboard which would be channeling too much power to the CPU. Before the comp shuts down the fan goes from Idle to Extremely Crazy, reaching its highest rotational speed within 2 seconds. Nothing was spilt (to what I could see) near the CPU but there are some areas I cannot reach such as the Lower RDS component.

Is this a motherboard issue? There is no residue near the CPU at all and I have done pretty much all I can to clean out the residue in the centre of the motherboard.

Here is a detailed picture of the motherboard:
bi3qdd.jpg

Thanks for any help or input,
Hiyoal

Hello Hiyoal,

I can't see the picture.

Do you know how to re-apply thermal compound to graphics cards and processors? If you are confident with taking apart the laptop more throughly - it could help to clean every inch of where the liquid was spilt.

I Reccomend Arctic Silver 5 if they even have any - I may be out of date to what Thermal compound is best these days.

Also when you clean the laptop - be careful if you use a "Damp cloth", I find using anything larger than a Q tip is dangerous to motherboard components. What I like to use to clean components of a computer are usually a q tip with some isopropyl alcohol on it (note: you don't need much, just enough to be damp). Also make sure none drips on the motherboard (if it does just wipe it off).

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for that Chainzsaw.
I was thinking about the paste, as I removed some of it when removing the copper off the GPU and CPU. What I used was a damp cloth with just water. Would this have caused any malfuntions by using water?
I also applied the cloth by pushing the tip of a small flat head into the fabric and using the screwdriver to maneuver it around the mobo.

Im just wondering how to get in between the parts.
Ill upload to photobucket this time. Heres the picture:

MotherboardS2110.jpg

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Water is a bad idea because: it doesn't dissolve fat (the milk coffee thing she was drinking has plenty of it) and it corrodes metal. Plus your way of cleaning it only has aesthetic value. For a clean motherboard get yourself a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and wash it down with it (Yes wash it, as in get the cpu out, hold the board 45 degrees vertical and spray alcohol on it till it's drenched) Also for the left over residue that is hard to clean use something like a tooth brush (the soft version for kids) to gently remove anything left. Leave the motherboard to dry out complety (warm room, near a heater) for about an hour then put back the processor, apply any thermal paste (AS5, MX-2, MX-3, etc) and give it a try.

Things to look for befor u start it up again. It might have blown a couple of capacitors if it turns itself off in 2 minutes or so, therefor check with a magnifying glass the SMD components near the spill area to check for burn marks. If that's the case, those can be replaces quite easily and cheap if u know the right ppl or have the necessary equipment. Good luck

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the reply's guys, Im going to look into both of those ideas. How can you replace SMD components too?! Would this need to be soldered on?

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks Spade. I think even though I may have killed the motherboard, it would be worthwhile for me to get one of the soldering stations :D Ive always wanted to try soldering. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.