Freeze during Boot

Don't know exactly what I did during an install of a new DVD burner, but mess
up some pretty good. After about 2 seconds of the Dell welome screen, it
freezes.

Is there a way to repair just the boot sequence or system. Havn't done a backup
in a month and don't want to lose some photos.

Ps got to the repair console, but that is way over my head
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

"JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
> Don't know exactly what I did during an install of a new DVD burner, but
> mess
> up some pretty good. After about 2 seconds of the Dell welome screen, it
> freezes.
>
> Is there a way to repair just the boot sequence or system. Havn't done a
> backup
> in a month and don't want to lose some photos.
>
> Ps got to the repair console, but that is way over my head
> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

I came in late. I wouldn't touch your OS/software. This is a hardware
problem, and it's likely the new DVD trying to initialize and
failing/locking the system.

Unplug it and verify the jumper is set to CS/Cable Select, and also verify
no bent pins. Next check your other optical drive (if you plan on using it
with the DVD burner). Verify that no connections on it have worked loose.

Once that's done attempt to boot again while looking at the LEDs on the
front of both optical drives to check for suspicious LED activity (i.e.-
constantly on or no activity).

See if you can get into the BIOS (F2). This may or may not be possible if
the machine hard locks at the Dell splash. If you can get in, be sure that
both IDE 2 /secondary drives are set to "auto" (detect).

You don't mention your system model number, but setting the BIOS to defaults
and clearing the NVRAM might fix this problem as well.

Post back.

Stew

Make sure the new drive is properly jumpered (as cable select).

JLP20 wrote:
> Don't know exactly what I did during an install of a new DVD burner, but mess
> up some pretty good. After about 2 seconds of the Dell welome screen, it
> freezes.
>
> Is there a way to repair just the boot sequence or system. Havn't done a backup
> in a month and don't want to lose some photos.
>
> Ps got to the repair console, but that is way over my head
> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

Try "last known good configuration".
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852