boot up problems

Hi, I have a new computer with an AMD 64 3400+ chip and windows XP Home
sp2. when I boot up, 9 times out 10, on the windows XP screen (with the
progress bar) it hangs, and then restarts itself, it then comes up with
the menu and 30 sec countdown to either start in safe mode (which
doesnt work) or start windows normaly, when I press return it restarts
and usualy after 2 or 3 goes it starts as normal and is fine with no
problems until I reboot again. Sometimes it will start normaly first
time. Also if I press f8 at start up and try to go into safe mode it
wont go, and usualy brings up the blue screen of death. I have upgraded
the Bios to the latest version, the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NS.
One more question, if I reformat and reinstall windows will I have to
activate it again, and if so is their any problems, as I only activated
it a week ago..

melh100@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a new computer with an AMD 64 3400+ chip and windows XP Home
> sp2. when I boot up, 9 times out 10, on the windows XP screen (with the
> progress bar) it hangs, and then restarts itself, it then comes up with
> the menu and 30 sec countdown to either start in safe mode (which
> doesnt work) or start windows normaly, when I press return it restarts
> and usualy after 2 or 3 goes it starts as normal and is fine with no
> problems until I reboot again. Sometimes it will start normaly first
> time. Also if I press f8 at start up and try to go into safe mode it
> wont go, and usualy brings up the blue screen of death. I have upgraded
> the Bios to the latest version, the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NS.
> One more question, if I reformat and reinstall windows will I have to
> activate it again, and if so is their any problems, as I only activated
> it a week ago..

If your problems started immediately after upgrading the bios, you may
have to clear the jumper.. See your motherboard manual. Other than that,
you don't provide enough information to suggest anything specific.

If you reformat and reinstall, you will have to reactivate. It shouldn't
be a problem, but you'll have to redo all the Microsoft updates.

Fireclown

Hi Thanks for your help, the problem was there before upgrading the
bios, I upgraded the bios to try and solve the problem.
Mel