Computer auto connects to internet

August 25, 2005 4:04:46 AM

For the past few weeks, every time I exit the internet the computer
immediately re-dials and re-connects. It does this no matter how many times
I disconnect.If I try to open explorer or Outlook Express it tells me that
it cannot establish a connection.
AVG, Adaware and Spybot haven't found any problems.
I have changed the modem without success.
The only thing that seems to clear it is to switch off the modem for some
time ( Hayes Accura speakerphone external). If I switch off for just a few
minutes it immediately re-dials the connection when switched on.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:04:47 AM

What does your firewall have to say about this?

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Peter Warburton wrote:
> For the past few weeks, every time I exit the internet the computer
> immediately re-dials and re-connects. It does this no matter how many
> times I disconnect.If I try to open explorer or Outlook Express it tells
> me that it cannot establish a connection.
> AVG, Adaware and Spybot haven't found any problems.
> I have changed the modem without success.
> The only thing that seems to clear it is to switch off the modem for some
> time ( Hayes Accura speakerphone external). If I switch off for just a few
> minutes it immediately re-dials the connection when switched on.
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
August 25, 2005 4:04:47 AM

Hi Peter,

Right click My Network Places/Properties/Advanced (top toolbar)/Dial-Up
Preferences/Enable Auto-Dial by Location/Uncheck all locations and check off
always ask me before auto dialing. Also, Disable autodial while I am logged
on.

In the Enable Auto-Dial By Location dialog box, select each location for
which you want the automatic dialing feature to operate. Reboot.

Disable or Enable AutoDial (Line 91)

To view the list of names and addresses recorded by AutoDial, type the
following command at a command prompt: rasautou -s

To delete a name or address entry from the list: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Addresses

You can delete any TCP/IP addresses that you see under this key. Note that
AutoDial can use IP addresses, DNS fully qualified domain names (FQDN), and
NetBIOS names.

Disable "Log on using dial-up connection" pop-up message (Line 77)

Modem Automatically Attempts a Dial-Up Connection [Q316530]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316530

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Peter Warburton" <pw@nospamhere.co.uk> wrote in message
> For the past few weeks, every time I exit the internet the computer
> immediately re-dials and re-connects. It does this no matter how many
> times
> I disconnect.If I try to open explorer or Outlook Express it tells me that
> it cannot establish a connection.
> AVG, Adaware and Spybot haven't found any problems.
> I have changed the modem without success.
> The only thing that seems to clear it is to switch off the modem for some
> time ( Hayes Accura speakerphone external). If I switch off for just a few
> minutes it immediately re-dials the connection when switched on.
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

August 25, 2005 5:12:33 AM

Thanks, I will check the info listed.
Windows firewall isn't showing anything.
> What does your firewall have to say about this?
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

> (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
> **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> for expert analysis, not here.**
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> Peter Warburton wrote:
>> For the past few weeks, every time I exit the internet the computer
>> immediately re-dials and re-connects. It does this no matter how many
>> times I disconnect.If I try to open explorer or Outlook Express it tells
>> me that it cannot establish a connection.
>> AVG, Adaware and Spybot haven't found any problems.
>> I have changed the modem without success.
>> The only thing that seems to clear it is to switch off the modem for some
>> time ( Hayes Accura speakerphone external). If I switch off for just a
>> few
>> minutes it immediately re-dials the connection when switched on.
>> Any advice would be much appreciated.

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:12:34 AM

No surprise as the Windows Firewall is a one-way (incoming) firewall.
Thought mebbe you had a third-party firewall instead.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Peter Warburton wrote:
> Thanks, I will check the info listed.
> Windows firewall isn't showing anything.

> > What does your firewall have to say about this?
> >
> > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
> >
> > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
> > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
> > use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
> > hijackware/spyware. **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
> >
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >

> > Peter Warburton wrote:
> > > For the past few weeks, every time I exit the internet the computer
> > > immediately re-dials and re-connects. It does this no matter how many
> > > times I disconnect.If I try to open explorer or Outlook Express it
> > > tells me that it cannot establish a connection.
> > > AVG, Adaware and Spybot haven't found any problems.
> > > I have changed the modem without success.
> > > The only thing that seems to clear it is to switch off the modem for
> > > some time ( Hayes Accura speakerphone external). If I switch off for
> > > just a few
> > > minutes it immediately re-dials the connection when switched on.
> > > Any advice would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 5:38:48 PM

Many thanks for the advice, the problem seems to be resolved.I am sorry that
I do not know exactly how, which would have been useful, but thanks again.

!