Sign in with
Your question

Barton Shims

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2003 8:04:15 PM

How come Most shims wotn work for barton proccesors? Couldnt they just make one that was the right size/thickness o w/e makes them not work? is there sumthing im missing? thanx in advance for the replies.

AMD Barton 2500+
A7N8X Delux
Corsair Matched 256x2 PC3200 w/ Platinum Heat Spreaders
Saphire Radeon 9600 pro
Thermaltake X3
Thermaltake 420 PS

More about : barton shims

August 9, 2003 9:37:53 PM

i did not know that some shimms did not work for bartons...

but i would immagine it would be because they have a larger core (more cache) than the tbred cpus...but i would also guess a shim for a palamino cpu would fit the barton...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 10, 2003 5:13:54 AM

haven't heard of a <b> shim </b> before. what's that.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>
August 10, 2003 5:21:21 AM

a shim is sometimes used on athlon and coppermine/medichino processors...it is because these processors lack a heatspreader...so if you are not careful/have a very tight fitting heatsink there is a chance that you could crack/chip off the cpu's core....in this case it would not be covered under warantee...

the shim is a tad bit thinner than the cpu core...it stops the heatsink from sitting askew when you mount it and therefore adding an ounce of protection...it could go a long way...i personally do not know of anyone who has broken a core...but for a few bux i suppose it is worth it...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
!