Eight Ball Deluxe blowing 20A fuse (lamp driver)

After a week in my garage working fine, a customer's 20A fuse (F1 =
controlled lights) on the 2518-54 power supply blows upon power up. Does it
with the playfield unplugged, so it's likely the power supply board, but
could it also be the lamp driver board or solenoid driver board?

CPU controlled lamp fuse blowing usually means the bridge rectifier is
shorted. very common as the bridges they used were just barely rated
for this usuage. they used a 20 amp fuse on games with axiliary lamp
driver boards, 10 amp fuse on ones without it. but the bridge is only
rated at 8 amps so really a 10 amp fuse should be used.

Toddy wrote:
> After a week in my garage working fine, a customer's 20A fuse (F1 =
> controlled lights) on the 2518-54 power supply blows upon power up. Does it
> with the playfield unplugged, so it's likely the power supply board, but
> could it also be the lamp driver board or solenoid driver board?

Most likely failure is the bridge rectifier on
the board mounted to the transformer.

It is over 20 years old! ;)

--
Fred
TX

"Toddy" <pinballs.no.spam@mindspring.com> wrote

> After a week in my garage working fine, a customer's 20A fuse (F1 =
> controlled lights) on the 2518-54 power supply blows upon power up. Does it
> with the playfield unplugged, so it's likely the power supply board, but
> could it also be the lamp driver board or solenoid driver board?

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:31:42 -0500, "Fred Kemper"
<pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote:

> Most likely failure is the bridge rectifier on
>the board mounted to the transformer.
>
> It is over 20 years old! ;)

Yeah just cover the fuse with foil or stick a screw or nail in place
of the fuse... problem solved! ;-)

Definately sounds like the bridge is bad on the rectifier board. Do
yourself a favor and replace them ALL at the same time. They really
need it and it's easier to get the new larger rectifiers positioned
correctly on the board if you just do them all. Bally rectifier boards
are a pain to repair due to the way the transformer wires are directly
soldered to the back.

Toddy wrote:
> After a week in my garage working fine, a customer's 20A fuse (F1 =
> controlled lights) on the 2518-54 power supply blows upon power up. Does it
> with the playfield unplugged, so it's likely the power supply board, but
> could it also be the lamp driver board or solenoid driver board?

Unplug all 4 outputs from the power supply board- playfield, backbox, main
cabinet. If it still blows, then you most likely have a shorted bridge
rectifier on the board.

Very, very common problem- I can't remember how many of these I've replaced
over the years.

Always use a heavy-duty 35a 400v rectifier as a replacement instead of the
wimpy 25a 200v (original type). The 35a will do a much better job at
handling the high current in this circuit.

We have these available on our website- see: www.actionpinball.com

This circuit just supplies power to the feature lamp buss, so nothing on the
solenoid or lamp driver boards would have anything to do with it. The lamp
driver board just handles switching of individual lamps on the low side of
each lamp's circuit- it doesn't actually "drive" anything at all- it's
really just a big switch board. Most people get confused by this- how it
really works- and the name is misleading too- "driver"- it's really just a
switching board that doesn't drive power out to anything at all. So don't
waste time looking there.

Good luck!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Toddy" <pinballs.no.spam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> After a week in my garage working fine, a customer's 20A fuse (F1 =
> controlled lights) on the 2518-54 power supply blows upon power up. Does
it
> with the playfield unplugged, so it's likely the power supply board, but
> could it also be the lamp driver board or solenoid driver board?

If I'm not mistaken, the early Bally SS games used the VJ248 rectifier which
was a 10 amp unit (maybe even 8 amp- replacements now are 10a). But the
later games (1980-up) with the rectifier board mounted in main cabinet I
believe use the 25a 200v unit- larger metal body rectifier. I replace with
35a 400v for durability.

Ray J.