Empty web pages...

August 25, 2005 12:28:16 AM

Lately, we have been unable to view some sites, ie you can see along the
bottom that jpegs etc are downloading then when finished it says done.
But the page remains blank. This was never a problem before so
something must have been inadvertently tampered with. Our browser is
set to medium for security and we have NAV 2005 for anti virus. I
think our firewall is with SP2. We also have J2SE Runtime which is up
to date. Any ideas as to what can be wrong?

--
lassie

More about : empty web pages

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:38:07 AM

And if you disable NAV's Script Blocker...? ...NAV itself?

Turning off Script Blocking in Norton AntiVirus:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001...

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

lassie wrote:
> Lately, we have been unable to view some sites, ie you can see along the
> bottom that jpegs etc are downloading then when finished it says done.
> But the page remains blank. This was never a problem before so
> something must have been inadvertently tampered with. Our browser is
> set to medium for security and we have NAV 2005 for anti virus. I
> think our firewall is with SP2. We also have J2SE Runtime which is up
> to date. Any ideas as to what can be wrong?
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 10:16:39 AM

Are you using a pop up or ad stopper?

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

lassie wrote:

> Lately, we have been unable to view some sites, ie you can see along the
> bottom that jpegs etc are downloading then when finished it says done.
> But the page remains blank. This was never a problem before so
> something must have been inadvertently tampered with. Our browser is
> set to medium for security and we have NAV 2005 for anti virus. I
> think our firewall is with SP2. We also have J2SE Runtime which is up
> to date. Any ideas as to what can be wrong?

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:30:17 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:28:16 +0000, lassie

>Lately, we have been unable to view some sites, ie you can see along the
>bottom that jpegs etc are downloading then when finished it says done.
>But the page remains blank. This was never a problem before so
>something must have been inadvertently tampered with. Our browser is
>set to medium for security and we have NAV 2005 for anti virus. I
>think our firewall is with SP2. We also have J2SE Runtime which is up
>to date. Any ideas as to what can be wrong?

File system corruption within the web cache?
Commercial malware activity?

On the last, I'm thinking of that class of commercial malware that
captures sites, twiddles a few things to re-direct banner ad
commissions or paint in thier own ads and content, and then display
the new version what you thought you were going to be looking at.

Which is why I hate the term "spyware" - this is clearly stealthy
malicious commercial activity bordering on the criminal, but there's
no "spying" involved, in the sense of "calling home".

Try an alternate browser; does your mileage vary? If so, see that
your main browser isn't imposing a user-preference stylesheet or
settings that are broken - as that could null your content as a broken
commercial malware content "editor" would do.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!