Restore large icons on All Programs menu?

Hello,

While doing some cleanup on the "Start->All Programs" menu,
I moved a couple of the icons near the top into a subfolder.
Since then, the icons under AllProgs now appear small rather
than the same size as those on Start. I've tried everything
I can think of to fix this but nothing worked. For example,
I moved the original icons back; reset folder properties;
customized folders/icons; changed TaskBar/Start menu properties;
reset the theme; moved icons between different accounts;
messed with desktop.ini files; etc, etc.

I searched Google but only found one message that described
this exact issue (included below) - but there was no reply. :(
I don't want to reinstall and I can't use System Restore.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions/pointers. Thanks!

-----

[Yaakov Smirnov, Feb 8]

For some reason I can only view tiny icons in Start Menu >
All Programs, regardless of settings. All icons everywhere
else can be resized, but icons in the Start Menu > All Programs
and submenus remain small. It's a trivial problem but any help
would be appreciated, as I've found no info anywhere else.

I've tried the following fixes, each of which work as expected
for all other icons but have no effect in All Programs

- Start Menu > Properties > Customize > Large icon setting
- Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Advanced > Item: Icons
(various resizes)
- Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Effects > Use Large Icons
- Deleting all shortcuts in start menu folders (all users,
default user and current user)
- Stopping and starting all XP appearance settings and visual
effects
- Tweak UI rebuild icons (this problem began before installing
tweak - see below)
- Changing folder icon settings in Explorer, restoring defaults
and trying different icons. (I was thinking maybe a corrupted
icon file could be causing it)
- Setting a different start menu directory via Tweak UI
- Dragging icons into All Programs, adding new shortcuts etc etc.
- Reboot in safe mode, same issue occurs

And every menu item in All Programs displays the at proper size
in start menu folder in explorer. I've only got about 20
programs on a high resolution so there's no scrolling issues etc.

The problem initially occured when I did some rearranging of
the All Programs menu using an explorer window, dragging and
dropping several shortcuts between folders and creating a few
new folders.

Immediately after, All Programs displayed small icons, and has
ever since. It almost seems like that part of the start menu
is immune from any changes in icon settings.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

kelly

Hi,

They have always been smaller. To get the Start Menu icons to match:
Right click the Start Button/Properties/Start Menu/Customize/Small Icons.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

<dafr94041@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> While doing some cleanup on the "Start->All Programs" menu,
> I moved a couple of the icons near the top into a subfolder.
> Since then, the icons under AllProgs now appear small rather
> than the same size as those on Start. I've tried everything
> I can think of to fix this but nothing worked. For example,
> I moved the original icons back; reset folder properties;
> customized folders/icons; changed TaskBar/Start menu properties;
> reset the theme; moved icons between different accounts;
> messed with desktop.ini files; etc, etc.
>
> I searched Google but only found one message that described
> this exact issue (included below) - but there was no reply. :(
> I don't want to reinstall and I can't use System Restore.
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions/pointers. Thanks!
>
> -----
>
> [Yaakov Smirnov, Feb 8]
>
> For some reason I can only view tiny icons in Start Menu >
> All Programs, regardless of settings. All icons everywhere
> else can be resized, but icons in the Start Menu > All Programs
> and submenus remain small. It's a trivial problem but any help
> would be appreciated, as I've found no info anywhere else.
>
> I've tried the following fixes, each of which work as expected
> for all other icons but have no effect in All Programs
>
> - Start Menu > Properties > Customize > Large icon setting
> - Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Advanced > Item: Icons
> (various resizes)
> - Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Effects > Use Large Icons
> - Deleting all shortcuts in start menu folders (all users,
> default user and current user)
> - Stopping and starting all XP appearance settings and visual
> effects
> - Tweak UI rebuild icons (this problem began before installing
> tweak - see below)
> - Changing folder icon settings in Explorer, restoring defaults
> and trying different icons. (I was thinking maybe a corrupted
> icon file could be causing it)
> - Setting a different start menu directory via Tweak UI
> - Dragging icons into All Programs, adding new shortcuts etc etc.
> - Reboot in safe mode, same issue occurs
>
> And every menu item in All Programs displays the at proper size
> in start menu folder in explorer. I've only got about 20
> programs on a high resolution so there's no scrolling issues etc.
>
> The problem initially occured when I did some rearranging of
> the All Programs menu using an explorer window, dragging and
> dropping several shortcuts between folders and creating a few
> new folders.
>
> Immediately after, All Programs displayed small icons, and has
> ever since. It almost seems like that part of the start menu
> is immune from any changes in icon settings.
>
> Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the quick reply! I came across some of your posts before
and even checked out your website a while ago. :) Well, the thing
is, maybe they weren't the exact same size as the Start Menu icons
but the AllPrograms icons WERE bigger before and now they are much
smaller. I could immediately tell when it happened (I was still in
the process of moving icons around) but I just can't get it back to
the way it was before. I've tried what you've said several times
before (setting it to Small and then back to Large) - sometimes in
combination with resetting folder properties and/or changing font
sizes. There were two icons near the top - "Set Program Access
and Defaults" (also under Start) and "Windows Update". Once I moved
those off their coveted space at the top of the All Programs menu,
the rest of the icons and folders suddenly shrunk - making them harder
to read. Putting them back did nothing - I guess they have to be put
somewhere special or have their icons properly customized to be bigger.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of icon/folder cache that I
can't manually reset/fix/change. It seems like it's the difference
between "Tiles" (or "Icons") view and "List." Maybe this was
customized somehow by Dell? Any other ideas?

Kelly wrote:
> [...]
> > and trying different icons. (I was thinking maybe a corrupted
> > icon file could be causing it)
> > - Setting a different start menu directory via Tweak UI
> > - Dragging icons into All Programs, adding new shortcuts etc etc.
> > - Reboot in safe mode, same issue occurs
> >
> > And every menu item in All Programs displays the at proper size
> > in start menu folder in explorer. I've only got about 20
> > programs on a high resolution so there's no scrolling issues etc.
> >
> > The problem initially occured when I did some rearranging of
> > the All Programs menu using an explorer window, dragging and
> > dropping several shortcuts between folders and creating a few
> > new folders.
> >
> > Immediately after, All Programs displayed small icons, and has
> > ever since. It almost seems like that part of the start menu
> > is immune from any changes in icon settings.

Ok so no more suggestions on this one? I guess it's possible that
the two of us who experienced this are crazy (or have bad memories).
In that case, are there any ways to make the fonts/icons bigger on
the 'All Programs' part of the menu without affecting too many other
things? Thanks!

dafr94041@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > and trying different icons. (I was thinking maybe a corrupted
> > > icon file could be causing it)
> > > - Setting a different start menu directory via Tweak UI
> > > - Dragging icons into All Programs, adding new shortcuts etc etc.
> > > - Reboot in safe mode, same issue occurs
> > >
> > > And every menu item in All Programs displays the at proper size
> > > in start menu folder in explorer. I've only got about 20
> > > programs on a high resolution so there's no scrolling issues etc.
> > >
> > > The problem initially occured when I did some rearranging of
> > > the All Programs menu using an explorer window, dragging and
> > > dropping several shortcuts between folders and creating a few
> > > new folders.
> > >
> > > Immediately after, All Programs displayed small icons, and has
> > > ever since. It almost seems like that part of the start menu
> > > is immune from any changes in icon settings.

Kelly is getting pissed and playing cards because it's drizzling where she lives (Louisiana) and her electronic gear is turned off.

In Display in CP choose the standard theme. You may need to reboot if you've been messing about for all changes to show.