added hard drive

added new hard drive my computer sees it but need to know how to partition it
or add them together to use the memory...using xp
3 answers Last reply
More about added hard drive

    If you want to partition and format the drive, go to Control Panel, then to
    Administrative Tools (switch to Classic View if you don't see Administrative
    Tools), then to Computer Managment, then to Disk Management. From there,
    you'll see your new drive and can partition and format it.

    "booger111" wrote:

    > added new hard drive my computer sees it but need to know how to partition it
    > or add them together to use the memory...using xp

    Hi,

    It's not memory, it's hard drive space. Click start/run, type diskmgmt.msc
    and click ok. Right click the free space on the new drive, and you will have
    your partitioning options.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "booger111" <booger111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > added new hard drive my computer sees it but need to know how to partition
    > it
    > or add them together to use the memory...using xp

    Is this a second drive or the main drive? In other words are you planning on
    installing windows xp on it?

    If you are planning on installing xp on the drive then you can create a
    partition and format the partition when you install. Visit my website
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look
    at question 41 How do i partition and format my hard drive using xp set-up.
    Question 85 will also give you an illustrated guide to installing xp.

    If you are using the drive as a secondary (slave) drive for data and/or
    backup then you can partition and fromat the drive from control panel.

    1/ Go to control panel
    2/ Click Administartive tools icon
    3/ In admin tools window click the Computer Management icon
    4/ On the left of the computer management window you will see a list of
    options select Disk management fromt he storage section
    5/ a list of drives will appear ( a graphical display will also appear)
    6/ Locate your second drive
    7/ It should have the word 'unallocated' to say that it hasn't been
    partitioned/formatted
    8/ Right click on the unallocated drive and select New Partition from the
    drop down menu
    9/ Follow the wizard through to create and format the new partition. You
    will be able to select the size of the partition in the wizard.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
    either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
    reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
    direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
    of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

    "booger111" <booger111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > added new hard drive my computer sees it but need to know how to partition
    > it
    > or add them together to use the memory...using xp

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP