Obtaining Information from Hard Drives as Data Disks

Al

Hey, I recently had a registry problem on my computer culminating in the
'blue screen of death'. In a desperate attempt to retreive a ton of files
that I will otherwise lose I have added my hard drive to another computer as
a slave, and data disk. I didnt even think I would be able to open the drive
and look in it but I can, the only problem I have now is that when I try to
open E:\Document Settings\Alex(Owner)\ I get the message "E:\Document
Settings\Alex is not accessible, access is denied." Is there any way for me
to get around this? And/or is there another way to retreive the folders and
information that was saved onto my old computers desktop???

I would be very grateful for any help, I have about 90 Gig of files resting
on this.
Thanks for any reply
Alex

Yep there's a lot of ways. The easiest is to use an NTFS to DOS reader
(available for free from www.sysinternals.com) to copy the files to a FAT32
drive. Unfortunately, you'll have to have about 90 gB of free space on the
FAT drive to do this.

Here's the recommended way:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

This method has worked for me - but be aware that it was a bit "flakey". I
wasn't able to just take ownership of the drive and be done with it. I had
to keep drilling down into the directory structure to get to every last file.

"Al" wrote:

> Hey, I recently had a registry problem on my computer culminating in the
> 'blue screen of death'. In a desperate attempt to retreive a ton of files
> that I will otherwise lose I have added my hard drive to another computer as
> a slave, and data disk. I didnt even think I would be able to open the drive
> and look in it but I can, the only problem I have now is that when I try to
> open E:\Document Settings\Alex(Owner)\ I get the message "E:\Document
> Settings\Alex is not accessible, access is denied." Is there any way for me
> to get around this? And/or is there another way to retreive the folders and
> information that was saved onto my old computers desktop???
>
> I would be very grateful for any help, I have about 90 Gig of files resting
> on this.
> Thanks for any reply
> Alex

Al

Okay, I looked around on that site, and I am really at a loss. I downloaded
NTFSDOS Professional, but when I opened the porgram it started talking about
"bootable disks etc". Is there any way you could let me know exactly which
program to download, and breifly explain how I can retreive an entire folder
from my old desktop?

Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for the quick reply.
Al

Al wrote:

> Hey, I recently had a registry problem on my computer culminating in the
> 'blue screen of death'. In a desperate attempt to retreive a ton of files
> that I will otherwise lose I have added my hard drive to another computer as
> a slave, and data disk. I didnt even think I would be able to open the drive
> and look in it but I can, the only problem I have now is that when I try to
> open E:\Document Settings\Alex(Owner)\ I get the message "E:\Document
> Settings\Alex is not accessible, access is denied." Is there any way for me
> to get around this? And/or is there another way to retreive the folders and
> information that was saved onto my old computers desktop???
>
> I would be very grateful for any help, I have about 90 Gig of files resting
> on this.

What is the operating system of the other computer? If it
is Windows NT/2000/XP, then one has to take ownership of
the particular folder. Otherwise, the logged on user of the
computer which is attempting to read the folder has been
locked out, resulting in the denial of access.

Al

Both computers are running XP...when I right click the folder I want to
access on the drive and choose properties there is no security tab for me to
click. And when I check the properties of the fold it says it's empty.

Al

"Ghostrider" wrote:

> Al wrote:
>
> > Hey, I recently had a registry problem on my computer culminating in the
> > 'blue screen of death'. In a desperate attempt to retreive a ton of files
> > that I will otherwise lose I have added my hard drive to another computer as
> > a slave, and data disk. I didnt even think I would be able to open the drive
> > and look in it but I can, the only problem I have now is that when I try to
> > open E:\Document Settings\Alex(Owner)\ I get the message "E:\Document
> > Settings\Alex is not accessible, access is denied." Is there any way for me
> > to get around this? And/or is there another way to retreive the folders and
> > information that was saved onto my old computers desktop???
> >
> > I would be very grateful for any help, I have about 90 Gig of files resting
> > on this.
>
> What is the operating system of the other computer? If it
> is Windows NT/2000/XP, then one has to take ownership of
> the particular folder. Otherwise, the logged on user of the
> computer which is attempting to read the folder has been
> locked out, resulting in the denial of access.

Malke

Al wrote:

> Both computers are running XP...when I right click the folder I want
> to access on the drive and choose properties there is no security tab
> for me to
> click. And when I check the properties of the fold it says it's
> empty.

1. If you have XP Home, you will need to boot into Safe Mode to see the
security tab. Here is more information about that:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Other things that are necessary to have the Security tab:

a. The drive must be NTFS
b. If you have XP Pro, in Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple
File Sharing'. That is the level used in Home, and for some strange
reason is on by default in Pro, too.

2. If the above does not work for you, boot the computer with Knoppix.
Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. In
your case since you have two hard drives in the system right now, there
should be an icon on the desktop for hdb1, which will be your slave
drive.

If you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the
K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Al

Hey again, I managed to change the ownership of the Owner folder, but mid way
through changing the ownership of one of the files inside a subfolder the
process completely froze. So I tried to get ownership of the subfolder
itself, but it froze on the same file again...is their anyway for me to get
access to the rest of the files and folders beyond this point where it stops?
Because I cant see the folders, I cant right click them to get to the
security options.

Thanks for all the replies.
Alex

"Malke" wrote:

> Al wrote:
>
> > Both computers are running XP...when I right click the folder I want
> > to access on the drive and choose properties there is no security tab
> > for me to
> > click. And when I check the properties of the fold it says it's
> > empty.
> >
> 1. If you have XP Home, you will need to boot into Safe Mode to see the
> security tab. Here is more information about that:
>
> Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>
> Other things that are necessary to have the Security tab:
>
> a. The drive must be NTFS
> b. If you have XP Pro, in Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple
> File Sharing'. That is the level used in Home, and for some strange
> reason is on by default in Pro, too.
>
> 2. If the above does not work for you, boot the computer with Knoppix.
> Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
> two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
> enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
> with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
> Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
> cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. In
> your case since you have two hard drives in the system right now, there
> should be an icon on the desktop for hdb1, which will be your slave
> drive.
>
> If you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the
> Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
> Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
> in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
> instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the
> K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Al

What I am getting now is like a cycle redundancy when I try to obtain
ownership of each individual subfolder. The transfer window appears but
doesnt make any progress, then the window stops responding...any suggestions?

Al