Sign in with
Your question

Reg ECC Memory the reason for A64 socket madness ?

Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2003 4:05:20 PM

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10954" target="_new">Clicky</A>

<i>This certainly explains a lot:
Socket 754: single channel, 3 unbuffered DIMMs/channel
Socket 940: dual channel, 1 unbuffered DIMM/channel, 2 buffered DIMMs/channel
Socket 939: dual channel, 2 unbuffered DIMMs/channel

Socket 939 and 940 will be incompatible with each others. Socket 939 motherboard is the best bet if you want low price and compatibility.
</i> - <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=105029764" target="_new">JACK (Aceshardware)</A>

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
August 10, 2003 5:52:59 PM

i am sure several hardcore INTELLIOTS will bash this system
August 10, 2003 6:56:05 PM

By that logic, it was only the AMD fanboys who didn't like Intel's Socket 423 / Socket 478 fiasco.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2003 10:05:53 PM

Fiasco? They announced that Socket 423 was only a temporary platform before they even introduced it! Basically they issued a warning: If you want to run the next revision of the P4 CPU, DON'T buy a Socket 423, wait for the next socket. And people bought them anyway, but you can't blame Intel for that.

So for enthusiast, Socket 423 is irrelavent since enthusiast knew it was a dead end from the get go.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 10, 2003 11:13:50 PM

well anyone stupid enough to upgrade to p4 back then was out of their mind!

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2003 11:38:58 PM

Yes, it was slower than a PIII and required RDRAM which was around 3x the price at the time IIRC.

Most of them went out in Dell systems and the like, where buyers didn't know anything about the technology and were simply impressed by the word Pentium 4, as well as the GHz thing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!