Dual Monitor - Old Graphic Card Problem

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2005 10:28:25 PM

Hi,
I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard. I have another old
graphic card - a PCI S3 Virge. The problem with this graphic card is
that its driver is not supported by Windows XP.
If I disable my graphic card on my motherboard - I can manage to get
this PCI graphic card to work.
If I hook up both the graphic cards - i.e. both of them are enabled,
the computer does not manage to boot (except in safe mode.) It should
also be mentioned that when my PCI card is plugged in - the computer
at time of booting uses it and not the monitor plugged into the graphic
card attached to the motherboard. Is there a way to change this. I
tried messing with i.e. all possible combinations of values in the
BIOS, but nothing seems to work.
I would be grateful if someone had some idea on what to try.

Thanks to all who take their time to think about this.
Regards,
Rio
August 25, 2005 12:23:31 AM

You cannot have the onboard video and a plugin video card operating at the
same time. Buy a new video card with dual outputs.

"carmaski" <carmaski@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
> graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard. I have another old
> graphic card - a PCI S3 Virge. The problem with this graphic card is
> that its driver is not supported by Windows XP.
> If I disable my graphic card on my motherboard - I can manage to get
> this PCI graphic card to work.
> If I hook up both the graphic cards - i.e. both of them are enabled,
> the computer does not manage to boot (except in safe mode.) It should
> also be mentioned that when my PCI card is plugged in - the computer
> at time of booting uses it and not the monitor plugged into the graphic
> card attached to the motherboard. Is there a way to change this. I
> tried messing with i.e. all possible combinations of values in the
> BIOS, but nothing seems to work.
> I would be grateful if someone had some idea on what to try.
>
> Thanks to all who take their time to think about this.
> Regards,
> Rio

August 25, 2005 1:11:09 AM

with both agp and pci cards, the pci card takes precedence. that is why the
systems booted up with your old card. When you are in windows, you can
select your agp connected monitor as the primary and everything should be
fine.

"carmaski" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
> graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard. I have another old
> graphic card - a PCI S3 Virge. The problem with this graphic card is
> that its driver is not supported by Windows XP.
> If I disable my graphic card on my motherboard - I can manage to get
> this PCI graphic card to work.
> If I hook up both the graphic cards - i.e. both of them are enabled,
> the computer does not manage to boot (except in safe mode.) It should
> also be mentioned that when my PCI card is plugged in - the computer
> at time of booting uses it and not the monitor plugged into the graphic
> card attached to the motherboard. Is there a way to change this. I
> tried messing with i.e. all possible combinations of values in the
> BIOS, but nothing seems to work.
> I would be grateful if someone had some idea on what to try.
>
> Thanks to all who take their time to think about this.
> Regards,
> Rio

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 2:26:46 AM

Andy wrote:
> with both agp and pci cards, the pci card takes precedence. that is why the
> systems booted up with your old card. When you are in windows, you can
> select your agp connected monitor as the primary and everything should be
> fine.
>
> "carmaski" wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>> I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
>>graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard. I have another old
>>graphic card - a PCI S3 Virge. The problem with this graphic card is
>>that its driver is not supported by Windows XP.
>> If I disable my graphic card on my motherboard - I can manage to get
>>this PCI graphic card to work.
>> If I hook up both the graphic cards - i.e. both of them are enabled,
>>the computer does not manage to boot (except in safe mode.) It should
>>also be mentioned that when my PCI card is plugged in - the computer
>>at time of booting uses it and not the monitor plugged into the graphic
>>card attached to the motherboard. Is there a way to change this. I
>>tried messing with i.e. all possible combinations of values in the
>>BIOS, but nothing seems to work.
>> I would be grateful if someone had some idea on what to try.
>>
>>Thanks to all who take their time to think about this.
>>Regards,
>>Rio

Question related to above post... I too am looking to connect a second
monitor to a WinXP-pro system. (I'm looking to install two because there
is space to fit my two 15" monitors; there isn't enough height for my
19" monitor in my new office configuration.)

Current KDS monitor is connected via AGP slot. When I installed in a
2001 vintage Diamond Stealth 64 video card (2 MByte RAM) in the last PCI
slot, the machine booted ok but Windows got lost searching for a "VGA
driver" for the new hardware. I was surprised that it even needed one as
I believe VGA drivers are used when Windows operates in the SAFE mode.
Original Win98 and WinXP CD's were of no help. Meanwhile, the machine
continued to operate via the AGP slot video card.

Am I best to give up trying to reuse old card and just go buy a new &
up-to-date PnP PCI slot video card? I think I can get one for under $50.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 2:46:19 AM

carmaski wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
> graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard. I have another old
> graphic card - a PCI S3 Virge. The problem with this graphic card is
> that its driver is not supported by Windows XP.
> If I disable my graphic card on my motherboard - I can manage to get
> this PCI graphic card to work.
> If I hook up both the graphic cards - i.e. both of them are enabled,
> the computer does not manage to boot (except in safe mode.) It should
> also be mentioned that when my PCI card is plugged in - the computer
> at time of booting uses it and not the monitor plugged into the
> graphic card attached to the motherboard. Is there a way to change
> this. I tried messing with i.e. all possible combinations of values
> in the BIOS, but nothing seems to work.
> I would be grateful if someone had some idea on what to try.
>
> Thanks to all who take their time to think about this.
> Regards,
> Rio

Buy a card that is dual monitor capable.

--
Peace!
Kurt

carmaski wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
> graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard.

So is mine (Intel Extreme), as is the one on my other laptop (ATI
Mobility Radeon), yet both have dual monitor support. You are sure that
yours doesn't?
August 25, 2005 1:43:42 PM

Trying to get two vid cards to coexist can be difficult.
Some work in combo some don't
There isn't a definitive list
Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a dual monitor capable card

"windsurferLA" <ps144nyc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
> > with both agp and pci cards, the pci card takes precedence. that is why
the
> > systems booted up with your old card. When you are in windows, you can
> > select your agp connected monitor as the primary and everything should
be
> > fine.
> >
> > "carmaski" wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >> I am trying to go from a single monitor to a dual monitor. My present
> >>graphic card is integrated on to my motherboard. I have another old
> >>graphic card - a PCI S3 Virge. The problem with this graphic card is
> >>that its driver is not supported by Windows XP.
> >> If I disable my graphic card on my motherboard - I can manage to get
> >>this PCI graphic card to work.
> >> If I hook up both the graphic cards - i.e. both of them are enabled,
> >>the computer does not manage to boot (except in safe mode.) It should
> >>also be mentioned that when my PCI card is plugged in - the computer
> >>at time of booting uses it and not the monitor plugged into the graphic
> >>card attached to the motherboard. Is there a way to change this. I
> >>tried messing with i.e. all possible combinations of values in the
> >>BIOS, but nothing seems to work.
> >> I would be grateful if someone had some idea on what to try.
> >>
> >>Thanks to all who take their time to think about this.
> >>Regards,
> >>Rio
> >>

> Question related to above post... I too am looking to connect a second
> monitor to a WinXP-pro system. (I'm looking to install two because there
> is space to fit my two 15" monitors; there isn't enough height for my
> 19" monitor in my new office configuration.)
>
> Current KDS monitor is connected via AGP slot. When I installed in a
> 2001 vintage Diamond Stealth 64 video card (2 MByte RAM) in the last PCI
> slot, the machine booted ok but Windows got lost searching for a "VGA
> driver" for the new hardware. I was surprised that it even needed one as
> I believe VGA drivers are used when Windows operates in the SAFE mode.
> Original Win98 and WinXP CD's were of no help. Meanwhile, the machine
> continued to operate via the AGP slot video card.
>
> Am I best to give up trying to reuse old card and just go buy a new &
> up-to-date PnP PCI slot video card? I think I can get one for under $50.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2005 8:32:20 PM

Thank you, Kurt, Jerry and Andy for taking your time to respond to this
post. I had some urgency in my job - so I almost forgot about this
post. I am sorry for it.

I am most disturbed by Jerry's post that says - an onboard video
and a plugin card cannot operate together. I have an onboard video card
- that means the only way out of this would be to buy a card with
dual outputs as Jerry suggested.
This is certainly going to be costly for me. I would like someone else
to confirm if this is the only option - or if I have some other
options like Kurt suggested i.e. buy a card that is dual monitor
capable.

Thank you guys once again.
Regards,
Rio
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2005 8:35:12 PM

Dear Andy,
When I boot up windows - it seems to tell me that my AGP connected
card is disconnected. (It boots using the PCI card.) I should also
mention that my AGP card is onboard.
I'd be grateful if you (or someone else) could think of a way to
sort this out.
Thank you
Rio
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2005 2:30:10 PM

The motherboard graphics are automatically disabled when you put in the
graphics card. This is a feature of the motherboard. To "think your way"
out of this you take your wallet out and replace the motherboard with
one that doesn't automatically disable the onboard graphics, OR buy a
dual headed graphics card OR just forget about dual monitors.

!