Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Picture is out, sort of

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 13, 2010 6:54:53 PM

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 931bf monitor. It is run to the pc by a digital monitor cable. The pc is an Acer Aspire 3700 with a GeForce G100 video card. There is an additional monitor (HD TV) attached to the HDMI which is working properly.

My main monitor, the 931bf, went blank. The power light indicates that there is a signal (not blinking). If I change the resolution, the monitor comes on for a few seconds, then goes blank again. Same thing if I restart the computer, unplug the HDTV from the HDMI slot, and/or if I press the Source button (to switch between analog and digital). The monitor also comes on for a few seconds sometimes if I turn it off and back on.

It did this about a week ago, too, and started working again after a hour or so.

I tried replacing the power cord and it's trying to come on every ten seconds or so.

I'd like to know if this is a problem with the monitor, video card, digital monitor cable, or some kind of software issue.

More about : picture sort

Best solution

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 14, 2010 3:09:49 AM

Try connecting the monitor to a friend's computer and see if the symptoms persist. If they do it needs a look from a tech. Depending on warranty position (or your courage in enforcing your normal consumer rights with the retailer outside the warranty period) you might be okay handing it to a small computer repair outfit.

The usual issue with flatscreens seems to be the power supply overheating in the confined space allowed for it with the result that capacitors routinely fail. Diagnosis is relatively easy (the failed capacitors often bulge or leak) Replacement parts cost peanuts and the job takes well under an hour, so may be cost-effective.
July 14, 2010 5:11:44 PM

Quote:
Try connecting the monitor to a friend's computer and see if the symptoms persist. If they do it needs a look from a tech. Depending on warranty position (or your courage in enforcing your normal consumer rights with the retailer outside the warranty period) you might be okay handing it to a small computer repair outfit.

The usual issue with flatscreens seems to be the power supply overheating in the confined space allowed for it with the result that capacitors routinely fail. Diagnosis is relatively easy (the failed capacitors often bulge or leak) Replacement parts cost peanuts and the job takes well under an hour, so may be cost-effective.

Yeah, looks like the monitor is bad by swap. I don't think I want to poke around in there. I'm looking at a Samsung 932bw. Any thoughts on it?
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2010 5:11:59 PM

Best answer selected by natazu.
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 14, 2010 5:59:07 PM

"I'm looking at a Samsung 932bw. Any thoughts on it?" Not really, as you might discern from my expertise on broken monitors, mine were dumped by businesses nearby. So I'm not up on latest retail developments.
m
l
!