Product key

Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.

Eric
5 answers Last reply
More about product

    eric6556 wrote:
    > Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
    > me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
    > installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
    > few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
    > a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
    > a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
    >

    > Eric

    You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
    easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
    a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
    leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
    sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
    this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
    rare occasions.

    Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Great replies guys. I had that happen to me on a couple of occasions and
    until I finally figured out I was entering a wrong letter or number, I was
    faced with the same error. I'd bet a cup of coffe that that's where the OP's
    problem lies.

    Cheers
    Redwagon

    In news:414C8B5F-61CC-4AC7-9E24-C8D2249F291D@microsoft.com,
    eric6556 <eric6556@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's
    > telling me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this
    > when i'm installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat
    > my hard drive a few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard
    > drive. I now have installed a brand new drive in my system and would
    > like to install xp again. Is there a way to get a new key code or a
    > way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
    >

    > Eric

    If you're using legal installation media/CD and the same CD key you got with
    it, and it isn't working during your install, you can contact Microsoft or
    the OEM/manufactuer with your proof of purchase for help.

    How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    Have you checked the for the product key which is stored in the CD
    packaging on a bright orange sticker?

    Sometimes 'B' looks like '8' or,'o'looks like '0'.May be a trial n error
    will fix your issue.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    eric6556 wrote:
    > Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
    > me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
    > installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
    > few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
    > a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
    > a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
    >

    > Eric

    Hi,

    Also, if your key is being rejected my microsoft, give them a call on one of
    their support numbers and they will issue you a code.

    --

    - Hayden Kirk
    Manager,

    "eric6556" <eric6556@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's
    > telling
    > me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
    > installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive
    > few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have
    > installed
    > a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is
    > there
    > a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again?
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Eric

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives