  • Windows XP
  • Microsoft
  • Hard Drives
August 24, 2005 10:49:01 PM

Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.

Eric

More about : product key

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:23:15 AM

eric6556 wrote:
> Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
> me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
> installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
> few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
> a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
> a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
>

> Eric

You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
rare occasions.

Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:23:16 AM

Great replies guys. I had that happen to me on a couple of occasions and
until I finally figured out I was entering a wrong letter or number, I was
faced with the same error. I'd bet a cup of coffe that that's where the OP's
problem lies.

Cheers
Redwagon

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> eric6556 wrote:
> > Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
> > me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
> > installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
> > few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
> > a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
> > a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
> >

> > Eric
>

> You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
> easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
> a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
> leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
> sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
> this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
> rare occasions.
>
> Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

August 25, 2005 3:10:36 AM

In news:414C8B5F-61CC-4AC7-9E24-C8D2249F291D@microsoft.com,
eric6556 <eric6556@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's
> telling me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this
> when i'm installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat
> my hard drive a few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard
> drive. I now have installed a brand new drive in my system and would
> like to install xp again. Is there a way to get a new key code or a
> way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
>

> Eric

If you're using legal installation media/CD and the same CD key you got with
it, and it isn't working during your install, you can contact Microsoft or
the OEM/manufactuer with your proof of purchase for help.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:52:27 AM

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

Have you checked the for the product key which is stored in the CD
packaging on a bright orange sticker?

Sometimes 'B' looks like '8' or,'o'looks like '0'.May be a trial n error
will fix your issue.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
eric6556 wrote:
> Hi, i've been installing my version of xp on my system and now it's telling
> me that the key is invalid. Is there any way around this when i'm
> installing? It's my original copy and i've had to reformat my hard drive a
> few times now because of virus and/or a bad hard drive. I now have installed
> a brand new drive in my system and would like to install xp again. Is there
> a way to get a new key code or a way to make the old one work again? Thanks.
>

> Eric
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:45:47 PM

Hi,

Also, if your key is being rejected my microsoft, give them a call on one of
their support numbers and they will issue you a code.

--

- Hayden Kirk
Manager,

!