Problems with DirectSound

Last response: in Video Games
October 8, 2004 8:09:55 AM

Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What am I
suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
channel sound card.
P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level from
4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound delays)
Please help me...
Maether

More about : problems directsound

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 4:27:21 PM

Hi Maether,

If reducing acceleration helps, that usually indicates that you
need to update the sound card's drivers. I hope that helps!

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Maether" <maether@o2.pl> wrote in message news:144801c4ad27$57acf8e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
| sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
| wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
| usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What am I
| suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
| channel sound card.
| P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level from
| 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound delays)
| Please help me...
| Maether
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 4:55:24 AM

What drivers are you using? Finding 8738 drivers is not all that easy.
The "latest" (assuming you're running XP) are 6.44 and a google search
could find them for you. I say "latest" because there's a later driver
for the 8768 that should work with the 8738. See the thread at
http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat....

I haven't tried the latter driver myself (still using 6.43, since it
works fine for me).

Eyal

Maether wrote:
> Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
> sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
> wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
> usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What am I
> suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
> channel sound card.
> P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level from
> 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound delays)
> Please help me...
> Maether
October 12, 2004 11:11:19 AM

Thanks for the tip but updating the drivers to 639 (wdm)
didn't work :(

Maether

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"Maether" <maether@o2.pl> wrote in message
>| Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
>| sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
>| wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
>| usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What
am I
>| suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
>| channel sound card.
>| P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level
from
>| 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound
delays)
>| Please help me...
>| Maether
>

>.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:16:22 AM

Thank you for reading my post. I'm using 98se and updating
driver to 639 (the latest 98 wdm driver at cmedia.com.tw)
didn't work :(

Maether

Cat=&Board=Forum21&Number=143093&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5
&o=0&fpart=

>I haven't tried the latter driver myself (still using
6.43, since it
>works fine for me).
>
> Eyal
>
>Maether wrote:
>> Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
>> sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice
(1.59),
>> wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
>> usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What
am I
>> suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
>> channel sound card.
>> P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level
from
>> 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound
delays)
>> Please help me...
>> Maether
>.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:36:48 AM

I've just found the solution. Everything works fine after
installing the latest vxd drivers from cmedia.com.tw
Thank you for your help

Maether

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:39:23 AM

I've just found the solution. After installing the latest
vxd drivers from cmedia.com.tw everything works fine.
Thank you for your help.

Maether

bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?
>Cat=&Board=Forum21&Number=143093&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=
5
>&o=0&fpart=
>>
>>I haven't tried the latter driver myself (still using
>6.43, since it
>>works fine for me).
>>
>> Eyal
>>
>>Maether wrote:
>>> Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
>>> sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice
>(1.59),
>>> wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
>>> usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What
>am I
>>> suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
>>> channel sound card.
>>> P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level
>from
>>> 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound
>delays)
>>> Please help me...
>>> Maether
>>.
>>
>.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:38:36 PM

Great news Maether, you're very welcome! :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

!