Problems with DirectSound

Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What am I
suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
channel sound card.
P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level from
4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound delays)
Please help me...
Maether
7 answers Last reply
More about problems directsound
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi Maether,

    If reducing acceleration helps, that usually indicates that you
    need to update the sound card's drivers. I hope that helps!

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Maether" <maether@o2.pl> wrote in message news:144801c4ad27$57acf8e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    | Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
    | sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
    | wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
    | usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What am I
    | suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
    | channel sound card.
    | P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level from
    | 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound delays)
    | Please help me...
    | Maether
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    What drivers are you using? Finding 8738 drivers is not all that easy.
    The "latest" (assuming you're running XP) are 6.44 and a google search
    could find them for you. I say "latest" because there's a later driver
    for the 8768 that should work with the 8738. See the thread at
    http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Forum21&Number=143093&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

    I haven't tried the latter driver myself (still using 6.43, since it
    works fine for me).

    Eyal

    Maether wrote:
    > Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
    > sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
    > wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
    > usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What am I
    > suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
    > channel sound card.
    > P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level from
    > 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound delays)
    > Please help me...
    > Maether
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks for the tip but updating the drivers to 639 (wdm)
    didn't work :(

    Maether

    Shell / User
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=sz;en-us;top
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"Maether" <maether@o2.pl> wrote in message
    >| Hi, I've got a problem with DirectSound and/or with my
    >| sound card. After running quake3 (1.31), winvice (1.59),
    >| wmp (9 pl) etc. with DirectSound diver selected, I'm
    >| usually receiving error messages and/or silence. What
    am I
    >| suppose to do to fix this problem? I'm using cmi8738 6
    >| channel sound card.
    >| P.S. After decreasing DirectSound acceleration level
    from
    >| 4 to 2 everything works fine (except for few sound
    delays)
    >| Please help me...
    >| Maether
    >

    >.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Thank you for reading my post. I'm using 98se and updating
    driver to 639 (the latest 98 wdm driver at cmedia.com.tw)
    didn't work :(

    Maether

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    I've just found the solution. Everything works fine after
    installing the latest vxd drivers from cmedia.com.tw
    Thank you for your help

    Maether

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    I've just found the solution. After installing the latest
    vxd drivers from cmedia.com.tw everything works fine.
    Thank you for your help.

    Maether

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Great news Maether, you're very welcome! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

Games Microsoft Sound Cards Video Games