CPU, HARDWARE-GEEKS NEED YA HELP HERE PLEASE..

sandyk20

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Dear Readers,

Thanks a lot in advance, for the readers who are reading this post.
I am here all over from India, Need the expertise from worldwide readers :). Please post your comments.

I am a NEtworking Engineer for a Private Comapany here, also taking care of Databases. and also a die-hard gamer :)
I am planning to buy a new PC,I was a hardcore intel Fan.
But due to recommendations from a few friends, I thought of giving AMD a try. I am planning short on my new PC budget.
hence, looking for good advice from everyone here.

I have few options here:
FOR AMD;
AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 3000+, 3200+ (Barton)
Asus A7N8X DELUXE MOBO.
512 MB DDR Ram. Transcent. (only this is the available RAM module available locally here)

For intel:
2.4 Ghz 800 FSB and 3.0 GHZ 800 fSB (only these 2 models for 800 FSB are available locally, )
Mobo - Asus p4sdx.
Ram - same as for AMD.

My computer will be used 24*7 days, i will have a couple of OSs running on it, Linux, Solaris, XP and 2003.
and also A few Database Servers like MS SQL 2000 and Oracle.
And also its gonna be used a lot for gaming.

PLease recommend me, Can i GO FOr AMD, If I need to utilize my PC for things mentioned above.
I am very Confused @ the moment, hence, waiting for some real Good Tech-HELP from Geeks out here.
AMD or INTEL.

Please clear my doubts, and also recommend me whats the Best.

Thanks a lot in advance, for the readers who are reading this post.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The XP 3200+ will be a little faster than the 2.4C overall, but nowhere near as fast as the 3.0C P4.

So it really depends on how much you want to spend. At the top, Intel is a better value for people willing to spend money. In the middle and downward, it's AMD. If you think the XP2800+ will do the job, it's probably your cheapest option. If you want the best performance, the P4 3.0C is a better option.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Should perform about the same as the 2.4C. The 3000+ is only slightly faster than the 2800+, and the 3200+ is only slightly faster than the 3000+.

I'm assuming the 2800+ is cheaper than the 2.4C.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sandyk20

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Crashman.

Is AMD 2800+ (Barton) really worth buying as compared to intel 2.4 Ghz (800 FSB)
I am not planning to Overclock at all, not a hardware geek ;)

For Athlon i can have - Asus A7N8X mobo - nforce2
For intel i can have - any Asus i865 chipset Mobo.

ram. Remains the same.
Please tell me out of 2 above, what do i go for.

Thnx

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i perosnally would go for the p4...it does have SOME upgrade potential...

I think amd makes fine cpus but in this round intel has amd beat...

Most tasks that really require a high powered cpu...such as media encoding...games...

really benifit from the added bandwith of the p4 cpu...that is my .02...but both are good cpu's

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
In my Opinion
-------------
If you're chosing between the XP2800 and the P2.4C take the P2.4C. (I believe the prices are the same).

You have a better performance upgrade path should the higher Intel chip prices ever reach a target price you wish to spend the extra $$$ for. As the other gentlemen were saying, the later XP3xxx models don't offer that much performance enhancement.

--------------------------------------------------------
In some of my other posts I have argued <b>that for my personal use</b> I would be happy with the XP2500+ as this saves me a little money and will likely buy me a cheaper if much poorer upgrade path in the future.

However, the processors that you specified leave me no choice but to suggest the P2.4C.

The loving are the daring!

sandyk20

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Flinx,

Still didnt understand why you recommended me intel instead of that AMD.

Is that because of the price factor (coz both are same)?
OR
Is it becoz intel is better then AMD?
OR
the systems listed above, Intel is superior??
OR
What exactly you mean, upgrade are possible in intel?
coz I am not planning to upgrade the mobo and processsor for atleast next 2 years. :( (very tight on PC Budget)

So before actually inversting my hard-owned collect money since last couple of months, I want to be 100% satisfied with what I am buying. I hope you understand my state.

Regards,
Sandy...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it just seems that intel has amd beat...i am not saying this as a fanboy...i have owned more than 1 intel and amd cpus in the past...

I just think amd is only good for low end...mid end intel is the one to go to...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

G

What about that ram? 512 MB DDR Ram. Transcent
Is it DDR400(PC3200) with descent timmings? That could play an important role in your cpu decision. If the ram is so-so the P4 rig will take a bigger performance hit than the AMD. The i865 is more picky on ram than the nForce2 also the P4 need the full (800mhz) FSB to really perform well.
If the ram is off good qualtity and rated at DDR400 Id go with the P4 system...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i'll answer that...

they have no advantage in high end...more of a disadvantage IMO

the have an iffy advantage in mid end...lower mid range they are a good deal...higher mid range thay are a so so deal (really depends how you characterise mid range)...

Low end they cannot be beat...the current celeron is a joke...

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Why did I recommend the P2.4C over the XP2800+?

1) You limitied the choices with your initial specification. XP2500+ is not in the equation.
This meant that a "budget" solution was not what you
were really looking for, etc.

2) XP2800+ and P2.4C presently have comparable price and you were a little concerned about $$$ (but not a whole lot).

3) You have a better upgrade path on the P2.4C.
I can't say it plainer than that.

The XP line doesn't add much performance advantage with higher procesor numbers (the numbers are considered marketing ploys of sorts).

Say in a year or two you decide you need more power.
Much cheaper to just up the CPU. No mobo/memory required!
Prices for the faster processors will be more reasonable.

With the way it looks the AMD line will not be able to match the Intel line on the upgrade path with the architectures specified in ur selection list.

P.S. In another post I argued with someone why I saw the XP2500+ as <b>my</b> preferred option so I don't think I'm an Intel fanboy. In fact I feel kind of ripped off by them because they reduce their prices slowly if at all. Take a look at the PIII prices.

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
did you read flinx's post?

Both him and i agree that intel is the way to go...maybe next year amd will have the upper hand...but for now intel has amd beat...also intel seems to have a better upgrade path...so in 2 years you can pick up 3.6ghz cpu and slap it on there...and you can use the computer as your back up machine...

Call it stupid but really...in 2 years you will thank yourself for doing that...

sandyk20

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
One Last Question PIII Man
Thnx for all your replies.

Is AMD BARTON 2800+ worth a try or not ??
I mean, I have checked the reviews and found that 2800+ performs much better then the intel 2.4c with HT.

As i said, I would keep my machine ON 24*7
and also would be using Multiple OS and some Database related aPPZ.

At the moment, planning for 512 MB DDR - 333 Mhz - Transcent Memory (coz only transcent is available locally and also Hyundai)

Regards,
Sandy...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i disagree...you are probably looking a benchmarks of the p4 with a 400 or 533mhz bus...

Look at <A HREF="http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/p4_3200-07.html" target="_new">these</A> benchmarks (make sure you look at the 800mhz bus version of the p4 or 200mhz SDR)