CD rom use for another computer???

August 24, 2005 11:03:04 PM

Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with no
OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy, onto
my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I have
installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.

More about : rom computer

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:03:22 AM

Without an OS on the laptop it's totally impossible.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Gabe" <Gabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
> desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with
> no
> OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
> want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
> reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy,
> onto
> my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I
> have
> installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:47:44 PM

"Gabe" <Gabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
> desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with
> no
> OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
> want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
> reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy,
> onto
> my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I
> have
> installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.

Hi gabe,

This is a tricky one. How old is the laptop, does it meet Windows XPs min
specifications?

--

- Hayden Kirk
Manager,

It's about two to three years old. Yes, it does meet the requirements. Had
XP Prof on it previously.

"Hayden Kirk" wrote:

> "Gabe" <Gabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
> > desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with
> > no
> > OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
> > want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
> > reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy,
> > onto
> > my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I
> > have
> > installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi gabe,
>
> This is a tricky one. How old is the laptop, does it meet Windows XPs min
> specifications?
>

> --
>
> - Hayden Kirk
> Manager,
> Mobile PC LTD
> www.mobilepc.co.nz

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:47:46 PM

Gabe wrote:

> It's about two to three years old. Yes, it does meet the requirements. Had
> XP Prof on it previously.

Any capability within the notebook at the present time?
That is, does it presently have an OS and connectivity to
a network? The interesting part is to copy the Windows XP
installation files into its own i386 directory in the
notebook. Also, does the notebook have a 1.44 MB floppy
disk drive?
August 25, 2005 6:47:47 PM

No OS at the present time. Wish they just took regular hard drives, as that
would make it a lot easier. LOL. No, unfortunately not even a floppy. It
was a freebee, so I can't really complain. Just wish I could load something
on it. I suppose I could look on ebay for a bootable, external CD rom,
either by card or usb. .

"Mistoffolees" wrote:

> Gabe wrote:
>
> > It's about two to three years old. Yes, it does meet the requirements. Had
> > XP Prof on it previously.
>
> Any capability within the notebook at the present time?
> That is, does it presently have an OS and connectivity to
> a network? The interesting part is to copy the Windows XP
> installation files into its own i386 directory in the
> notebook. Also, does the notebook have a 1.44 MB floppy
> disk drive?

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:47:48 PM

Gabe wrote:
> No OS at the present time. Wish they just took regular hard drives,
> as that would make it a lot easier. LOL. No, unfortunately not even
> a floppy. It was a freebee, so I can't really complain. Just wish I
> could load something on it. I suppose I could look on ebay for a
> bootable, external CD rom, either by card or usb. .

Seems to me that external CD drives are no longer expensive since
the computer tech stores are now pushing external DVD R/RW drives.

Ann W.
!