CD rom use for another computer???

Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with no
OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy, onto
my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I have
installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about computer

    Without an OS on the laptop it's totally impossible.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Gabe" <Gabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
    > desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with
    > no
    > OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
    > want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
    > reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy,
    > onto
    > my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I
    > have
    > installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.

    "Gabe" <Gabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to somehow have a notebook be able to use the cd rom on the
    > desktop I am on now? Networking somehow? It has to be able to do it with
    > no
    > OS installed on the notebook. Just as if it was it's own CD rom. I don't
    > want to buy an external USB CD rom drive as they are hella expensive. The
    > reason I ask is because I want to install Windows XP, yes a legal copy,
    > onto
    > my notebook, but it does not have a CD rom. It is not the same copy I
    > have
    > installed on this computer. Thanks in advance.

    Hi gabe,

    This is a tricky one. How old is the laptop, does it meet Windows XPs min
    specifications?

    --

    - Hayden Kirk
    Manager,

    It's about two to three years old. Yes, it does meet the requirements. Had
    XP Prof on it previously.

    Gabe wrote:

    > It's about two to three years old. Yes, it does meet the requirements. Had
    > XP Prof on it previously.

    Any capability within the notebook at the present time?
    That is, does it presently have an OS and connectivity to
    a network? The interesting part is to copy the Windows XP
    installation files into its own i386 directory in the
    notebook. Also, does the notebook have a 1.44 MB floppy
    disk drive?

    No OS at the present time. Wish they just took regular hard drives, as that
    would make it a lot easier. LOL. No, unfortunately not even a floppy. It
    was a freebee, so I can't really complain. Just wish I could load something
    on it. I suppose I could look on ebay for a bootable, external CD rom,
    either by card or usb. .

    Gabe wrote:
    > No OS at the present time. Wish they just took regular hard drives,
    > as that would make it a lot easier. LOL. No, unfortunately not even
    > a floppy. It was a freebee, so I can't really complain. Just wish I
    > could load something on it. I suppose I could look on ebay for a
    > bootable, external CD rom, either by card or usb. .

    Seems to me that external CD drives are no longer expensive since
    the computer tech stores are now pushing external DVD R/RW drives.

    Ann W.

Notebooks CD-Rom Windows XP