juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
1 Opteron new benchmark

Just compare TOms result with Amd zone result and you will get your anserwer te best juicy part is Sisoft INT and FPU
score the disparity is huge

2 Dothan postpone

few month agao dothan were state to go at 2004 Q2 it was accelerate to 2003 Q4 at the same time as prescott.Now they have put it back from few week as it still can be release in 2003.

3 Suppost prescott postpone

That a false fact that come from nothing in any case intel have ever release a mobile CPU at a smaller Node that a desktop version so in simple word it will never come after Dothan.At worse it will be Q1.

4 Presscott power dissipation.

Nw 3.2 have a Max power consumation of 108 (around) in any case a Presccott at 4.0 GHZ will use this power so tho say they are the new found block heater look at actual CPU and just calculate a bit.In any case a later stepping can come to solve the proble and drop it by a nice 8 or 10 watt wich will result in a Prescoott 4.6 GHZ that still fit in the roadmap figure.

5 a higher that expect thermal figure dont lead to delay

6 The cpu architecture improvement will still be there and nothing can change that so as i know A64 is not a Nw killer.

I dont like french test<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 08/10/03 05:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
"Nw 3.2 have a Max power consumation of 108 (around) in any case a Presccott at 4.0 GHZ will use this power so tho say they are the new found block heater look at actual CPU and just calculate a bit.In any case a later stepping can come to solve the proble and drop it by a nice 8 or 10 watt wich will result in a Prescoott 4.6 GHZ that still fit in the roadmap figure."

prescott 103watt isnt max i think, its typical, max will be way higher, either way intel has accepted prescott has heat issues.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
also i guess scotty has smaller core (.13 => .9 micron) so will have very high thermal output per area.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

eden

Champion
Not really, it will have a lot of IPC increase which includes an extra 512KB L2, which is a whopping big amount in size, when you think of how much 256KB L2 added on the core size. All this will contribute to reset the new smaller size to something around the 0.13m Northwoods.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:
PS: New sexy users' sites now added! :smile:

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
extra cache does not help with cooling, as altough average thermal output per area decreases, size of the "core" (core meaning actual processing part of the cpu) of the cpu is unchanged and is actually smaller due to .9micron, so heat per area is higher, heat from "core" doesnt magical dissipate over the whole cpu, certain parts of the cpu will get hotter than others, cache uses relatively little power, thus most heat is dissipated by the relatively small "core".

barton demonstrated this well, as it doesnt clock much higher than tbred even though it has larger core.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I disagree...the barton does clock higher than a tbred b...when was the last time you saw a 2.5ghz tbre B...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
maybe your right, but what i said is still true, its just simple logic really.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i said this in another post...

but is the answer

"bios checksum error, press f1 to continue and DEL (or f2 on some boards) to enter setup"

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
LOL i dont think you understand, the mistake is that you cant press F1 or DEL if your keyboard isnt working/not present!!! its a genuine message (i just got it for some reason), you have to just turn the power off/reset.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
oh! damn

I knew that...it has happended to me too...

The messege is

Bios checksum error...

though...at least on phoenix award and ami bioses

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
aye...

on my lucky star board...if i overclocked my pIII too far...instead of failing post...i would just say

Bios checksum error non system boot disk (40)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it was a free board...so i don't really care...now my msi board just responds by not posting...lol...

I perfer the checksum errror over a no post...

eden

Champion
extra cache does not help with cooling, as altough average thermal output per area decreases, size of the "core" (core meaning actual processing part of the cpu) of the cpu is unchanged and is actually smaller due to .9micron, so heat per area is higher, heat from "core" doesnt magical dissipate over the whole cpu, certain parts of the cpu will get hotter than others, cache uses relatively little power, thus most heat is dissipated by the relatively small "core".
Not if your transistors DO use significantly less power.
That is what Intel is shooting for to make sure Prescott DOES NOT end up a heater. You need to make sure your transition works. If it does well, your transistors, even if smaller and more packed, will dissipate less and in the end you do end up with equalling what was the previous generation's heat dissipation.
Hopefully they can try to maintain consistency. It'll be hard.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
"Not if your transistors DO use significantly less power.
That is what Intel is shooting for to make sure Prescott DOES NOT end up a heater. You need to make sure your transition works. If it does well, your transistors, even if smaller and more packed, will dissipate less and in the end you do end up with equalling what was the previous generation's heat dissipation.
Hopefully they can try to maintain consistency. It'll be hard."

of course you are absolutely correct, i was just pointing out a part of the story most people overlook, and it is especially important in prescott case as it apparently does use so much power.

Solstice

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
Wow pick on a guy who's English is a second Language.

How many Languages do you speak? Piece of [-peep-] bully

"Bush+Rumsfield=Dictatorship"

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i know, but most people (including reveiwers) seem to think it does help.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL
Maybe you should read a few more of Juin's posts first.

A. They are allways blindly pro intel.
B. They are allmost allways poorly constructed grammatically.
C. The engrish gets worse if he gets upset.
C. BUT i <b>HAVE</b> seen Juin make a post or two constructed of PERFECT english, so i suspect its all a put-on.

P.S. The languages i can spead/understand are British english, Australian english and American English.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

eden

Champion
Nah, Juin is indeed bad at english, he admitted to not being able to pass his English AND French test, hence his sig. But he did state his GF is teaching him. I noticed he is getting better.

--