Passwords on large compressed folders not working

August 24, 2005 11:48:04 PM

I am creating some large files (~500MB) that will be burned to disc to share.
The content needs to be protected, so I tried using the password function
within compressed folders in WinXP. By compressing the file into a folder, I
should be able to add a password. I'm using XP Home edition tonight, can't
wait to try out XP Pro tomorrow at work to verify this problem.

Anyway, I can password protect a file in a compressed folder that is 183MB,
but the 500MB file won't take the password. I'm allowed to specify the
password when I select Apply Password, but I don't see the pop-up saying it
is applying the password, and the file is not protected. Bug? Feature? User
error?
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:29:27 PM

An workaround:
I used Winzip to create the archive, and it offers a backwards-compatible
password function that can be opened using windows "compressed folders"
feature. So, users without Wnizip will be able to open the file with the
password, but I do have to use Winzip to apply the password in the first
place on large files.

!