LCD confusion -2d call for help - please

I was looking over the specs on Dells Ultrasharp 17" LCD monitors. There's a
1704FPT and a 1704FPV, each with different specs.
The FPT has a 500:1 contrast ratio,13 response time, 300 nits brightness.
The FPV has a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 280 cd/m brightness, 25ms response
time.

It's difficult to compare nits with cd/m and what do FPT and FPV mean? This
is very confusing to me. Which is the better computer monitor? I want a DVI
input and don't care about watching TV or DVD movies on the computer.

Lenny Bruce wrote:
> I was looking over the specs on Dells Ultrasharp 17" LCD monitors.
> There's a 1704FPT and a 1704FPV, each with different specs.
> The FPT has a 500:1 contrast ratio,13 response time, 300 nits
> brightness. The FPV has a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 280 cd/m brightness,
> 25ms response time.
>
> It's difficult to compare nits with cd/m and what do FPT and FPV
> mean? This is very confusing to me. Which is the better computer
> monitor? I want a DVI input and don't care about watching TV or DVD
> movies on the computer.

Luminance in cd/m^2 (candellas per square meter) and nits are the same
unit. Response times are a real fuzzball: reviews indicate that
response times can be half of the cycle or full cycle and its not
generally possible except by testing to figure out which is being
reported. 13ms might be half cycle in which chase it the full cycle is
like 26ms. Further complicating the response time is the response vs
gray level which can be markedly different than the standard measurement
for a black/white transition and is a much better guide to real life
performance. IMO, reported response times should be used as a very
rough guide only. Contrast ratio is generally "higher is better". LCD
contrast ratios are good for when viewing up close, but even a 500
contrast ratio for moderately distant LCD television is poor for
daylight viewing.

This review at Tom's hardware illustrates the problems with LCD
specifications.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html

For my money, for gaming go with the lower response time; otherwise go
for the lower price. In the end, though, the best process for choosing
an LCD monitor is to view the choices in real life, paying attention to
the ability of the monitor to show subtle shades of grey and to
faithfully adhere to standard RGB. See for example
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1B.html#Gamma_3color

Very good monitors can be had for probably less than the cost of the
Dell at any decent computer store or via online purchase.
http://www.newegg.com , www.zipzoomfly.com for example. Go to your
nearest Best Buy or Circuit City to view the vast differences in monitor
color/contrast performance from the same video signal.