changing name on registered product

I just got a new 'puter, so I have reformatted & re-installed XP on my old
computer, which I intend to give to my sister. I entered her name when I
went through the setup. When she tries to register XP will it be rejected?
It's a legit XP installation and only one person(her) will be using it- I
have registered XP on my new computer under my name. She has her own copy of
XP- will she(in other words, will I--as she is MUCH less computer literate
than me) have to reformat my old computer with her XP disk? Will that work,
or will the discrepancy between which drive XP is installed on the second
time around cause problems with registering? It doesn't seem quite right
that we have 3 legit XP installations and will only be using 2 of them(as she
is throwing her 'puter away.

kelly

Hi Ingrid,

>When she tries to register XP will it be rejected?

No. As a matter of fact registration isn't needed at all.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Ingrid" <Ingrid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new 'puter, so I have reformatted & re-installed XP on my old
> computer, which I intend to give to my sister. I entered her name when I
> went through the setup. When she tries to register XP will it be rejected?
> It's a legit XP installation and only one person(her) will be using it- I
> have registered XP on my new computer under my name. She has her own copy
> of
> XP- will she(in other words, will I--as she is MUCH less computer literate
> than me) have to reformat my old computer with her XP disk? Will that
> work,
> or will the discrepancy between which drive XP is installed on the second
> time around cause problems with registering? It doesn't seem quite right
> that we have 3 legit XP installations and will only be using 2 of them(as
> she
> is throwing her 'puter away.

Kelly,
When I reformatted & re-installed, XP asked if I wanted to activate product
now or be reminded every few days..... if it's not activated, it'll stop
working, right?
ingrid

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Ingrid,
>
> >When she tries to register XP will it be rejected?
>
> No. As a matter of fact registration isn't needed at all.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Ingrid" <Ingrid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just got a new 'puter, so I have reformatted & re-installed XP on my old
> > computer, which I intend to give to my sister. I entered her name when I
> > went through the setup. When she tries to register XP will it be rejected?
> > It's a legit XP installation and only one person(her) will be using it- I
> > have registered XP on my new computer under my name. She has her own copy
> > of
> > XP- will she(in other words, will I--as she is MUCH less computer literate
> > than me) have to reformat my old computer with her XP disk? Will that
> > work,
> > or will the discrepancy between which drive XP is installed on the second
> > time around cause problems with registering? It doesn't seem quite right
> > that we have 3 legit XP installations and will only be using 2 of them(as
> > she
> > is throwing her 'puter away.

All,
So, the question remains... will Microsoft allow the product to be
registered with a different name than it was originally activated with?
ingrid

Ingrid wrote:

> So, the question remains... will Microsoft allow the product to be
> registered with a different name than it was originally activated
> with? ingrid

I'm not sure whether you're mixing up activation and registration or not,
but just in case...

Registration is completely different from activation. Registration is
completely optional. It identifies the person who registers and is used
primarily for marketing purposes by Microsoft.

Activation is manditory. It's a completely anonymous procedure that
essentially ties the particular *hardware* (not the person) to a product
key.

So the answer to the question "will Microsoft allow the product to be
registered with a different name than it was originally activated with?" is
that it was never activated with a name, there is no reason for her to
register, there is no problem giving the computer to your sister, there is
no need for her to reinstall XP (since you said the copy on the computer
you're giving her won't be used elsewhere), and no need to reactivate.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> IF it is not activated then yes it will stop after 30 days . At
>> least that is how it is on a W2K3 and I presume same on a XP.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be
>> acknowledged.
>>
>> "Ingrid" <Ingrid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Kelly,
>>> When I reformatted & re-installed, XP asked if I wanted to activate
>>> product now or be reminded every few days..... if it's not
>>> activated, it'll stop working, right?
>>> ingrid

Yes you are correct- it's activation that I'm talking about... and XP is
saying that it has to be activated-- since it's tied to the hardware(which
hasn't changed) activating it should cause no problem at all, correct? I
guess I assumed when you activated a product the personal information was
"lifted" from the puter.
thank you, I beieve that the info that activation is tied to the hardware,
not the personal info, is the fact I was missing
ingrid