suspicious startup

August 25, 2005 1:07:04 AM

When I am logging onto my XP, SP2 (after reboot), the screen says "1 unread
message" (or maybe "mail"). I am suspicious of this, as I just reloaded
everything after a blue screen, have gotten everything running, and now it
seems like there is almost some way the computer is not wiping itself clean
when I reboot.

Additionally (and I just posted this elsewhere), when I was in explorer and
looking at files and how to share them, I stumbled onto the "security" tab.
It seems that all my files, on that tab, have some user, whose "picture" (the
little side profile face) has a question mark next to it. Permissions for
that user are all set to allow.

Am I being royally spied on, or what is going on?

Thx.
--
Boris

More about : suspicious startup

August 25, 2005 3:17:30 AM

Hi Boris,

Both are normal, relax. :o )

1. For Passport/Unread Mail Issues:

Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manage
Passwords/Remove.

Tip:

Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

Use TweakUI/Logon/Unread Mail and Repair/Unread Mail Count
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

or:

Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen (Line 100)

To remove an account or to change the count manually Go to:
Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Your
E-Mail Address]. In the right pane modify: Message Count, Change it to 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail. In
the right pane modify: MessageExpiryDays Change it to 0.

Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1...

2. To Remove the Security Tab: Start/Settings/Control Panel/Appearance &
Themes/Folder Options. View/Advanced and check "Use Simple File Sharing".

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"BorisS" <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D C7859D2-68E6-4E50-A1B4-AED552826465@microsoft.com...
> When I am logging onto my XP, SP2 (after reboot), the screen says "1
> unread
> message" (or maybe "mail"). I am suspicious of this, as I just reloaded
> everything after a blue screen, have gotten everything running, and now it
> seems like there is almost some way the computer is not wiping itself
> clean
> when I reboot.
>
> Additionally (and I just posted this elsewhere), when I was in explorer
> and
> looking at files and how to share them, I stumbled onto the "security"
> tab.
> It seems that all my files, on that tab, have some user, whose "picture"
> (the
> little side profile face) has a question mark next to it. Permissions for
> that user are all set to allow.
>
> Am I being royally spied on, or what is going on?
>
> Thx.
> --
> Boris
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:20:19 AM

Wiping your computer does NOT clear what may be on the Microsoft mail server
waiting for you to download it. Get your email!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

!