Losing BIOS Settings

I have a Gateway G6-450 computer with Windows 2000 and Windows 98se
installed in dual boot configuration. The drives that the two
operating systems are installed to are the master and slaves drives,
respectively attached to a Maxtor ATA controller card. The BIOS has
been set up to boot CDROM, then floppy, and then hard drive. Under
boot options I have set up the hard drive order with the add-in card
(therefore ATA controller card) first. I do have another drive
attached to the primary IDE input, but I do not normally use it. This
drive is listed as fourth of four in the hard drive boot sequence.

Recently, I have had an issue with a boot-up error in which the order
of the hard drive changes so that the hard drive attached to the
primary IDE input on the motherboard becomes listed first rather than
the add-in controller card. This, of course, prevents the computer
from booting properly.

Is is worth reinstalling the BIOS, or might this be a problem with a
weak back-up battery on the motherboard, or other. I would appreciate
any suggestions.

Steve

It's time for a replacement CMOS battery.

sgoldstn@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I have a Gateway G6-450 computer with Windows 2000 and Windows 98se
> installed in dual boot configuration. The drives that the two
> operating systems are installed to are the master and slaves drives,
> respectively attached to a Maxtor ATA controller card. The BIOS has
> been set up to boot CDROM, then floppy, and then hard drive. Under
> boot options I have set up the hard drive order with the add-in card
> (therefore ATA controller card) first. I do have another drive
> attached to the primary IDE input, but I do not normally use it. This
> drive is listed as fourth of four in the hard drive boot sequence.
>
> Recently, I have had an issue with a boot-up error in which the order
> of the hard drive changes so that the hard drive attached to the
> primary IDE input on the motherboard becomes listed first rather than
> the add-in controller card. This, of course, prevents the computer
> from booting properly.
>
> Is is worth reinstalling the BIOS, or might this be a problem with a
> weak back-up battery on the motherboard, or other. I would appreciate
> any suggestions.
>
> Steve

Losing BIOS settings is a common indication of a low battery. Given the low
cost and ease of replacement, it's prudent to replace the battery.

<sgoldstn@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway G6-450 computer with Windows 2000 and Windows 98se
> installed in dual boot configuration. The drives that the two
> operating systems are installed to are the master and slaves drives,
> respectively attached to a Maxtor ATA controller card. The BIOS has
> been set up to boot CDROM, then floppy, and then hard drive. Under
> boot options I have set up the hard drive order with the add-in card
> (therefore ATA controller card) first. I do have another drive
> attached to the primary IDE input, but I do not normally use it. This
> drive is listed as fourth of four in the hard drive boot sequence.
>
> Recently, I have had an issue with a boot-up error in which the order
> of the hard drive changes so that the hard drive attached to the
> primary IDE input on the motherboard becomes listed first rather than
> the add-in controller card. This, of course, prevents the computer
> from booting properly.
>
> Is is worth reinstalling the BIOS, or might this be a problem with a
> weak back-up battery on the motherboard, or other. I would appreciate
> any suggestions.
>
> Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks to Mr. Neth and to mdp. A new battery is in place, and the
machine booted properly. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.