Scheduled Task problem

Hi All,

I was fixing a clients computer and encountered something I have not seen
before. First a little background; I cleaned a trojan off of her computer
as well as some adware. I am guessing that this was caused by the trojan,
but Norton A/V has a scheduled scan in the Scheduled Tasks folder that will
not run any more. The message it gives is that a password was not entered.
Her computer runs XP Home and she is the only person who uses it and she
does not have a password to log on to her computer. Other scheduled tasks
come up with the message that the Task Scheduler service is not running, so
they would not run. I checked, and the Scheduler service is running and is
set to automatic.

Any input on how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks all,
Brian
1 answer Last reply
More about scheduled task problem

    Hi Brian,

    Suggestion: Rid of Norton
    Fix: Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:

    For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
    This is enabled by default, disable it.

    For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

    Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "Brian Scholfield" <bdsmcse(removethis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was fixing a clients computer and encountered something I have not seen
    > before. First a little background; I cleaned a trojan off of her computer
    > as well as some adware. I am guessing that this was caused by the trojan,
    > but Norton A/V has a scheduled scan in the Scheduled Tasks folder that
    > will not run any more. The message it gives is that a password was not
    > entered. Her computer runs XP Home and she is the only person who uses it
    > and she does not have a password to log on to her computer. Other
    > scheduled tasks come up with the message that the Task Scheduler service
    > is not running, so they would not run. I checked, and the Scheduler
    > service is running and is set to automatic.
    >
    > Any input on how I can resolve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > Brian

Trojan Computers Microsoft Windows XP