Hi All,

I was fixing a clients computer and encountered something I have not seen
before. First a little background; I cleaned a trojan off of her computer
as well as some adware. I am guessing that this was caused by the trojan,
but Norton A/V has a scheduled scan in the Scheduled Tasks folder that will
not run any more. The message it gives is that a password was not entered.
Her computer runs XP Home and she is the only person who uses it and she
does not have a password to log on to her computer. Other scheduled tasks
come up with the message that the Task Scheduler service is not running, so
they would not run. I checked, and the Scheduler service is running and is
set to automatic.

Any input on how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks all,
Brian

kelly

Hi Brian,

Suggestion: Rid of Norton
Fix: Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts

--

All the Best,