Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows Syste..

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 25, 2005 1:59:02 AM

Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from 2099.

This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go to
the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and double
click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time Properties
Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment u
cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So……..now what. As u can clearly see when
the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha…). As u can now
have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
Y2.1 scenario.

Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this glaring
mistake?

--
Debabrata Das

Software Engineer
Kolkata,
India

More about : increase windows syste

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:16:28 AM

If you think that any Win2K/XP/2003 boxes will be around in 2099, then I've
got a bridge to sell you.

Matt Gibson - GSEC
August 25, 2005 4:22:08 AM

>Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
>glaring
>mistake?

I really don't see this as a mistake but a wishful thought. Image if your
great-grandchildren were able to see your system clock needing to be changed
in 2099 on the same system. That said compare the prices now for systems
and operating systems compared to the 80's and then image the cost in 2099.
:o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
> 2099.
>
> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
> double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
> Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
> when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
> now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
> glaring
> mistake?
>
> --
> Debabrata Das
>
> Software Engineer
> Kolkata,
> India
Related resources
August 25, 2005 4:26:17 AM

Wanna trade for an igloo from Southern Louisiana?
--

"Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
> If you think that any Win2K/XP/2003 boxes will be around in 2099, then
> I've got a bridge to sell you.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

August 25, 2005 6:12:34 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0700, Debabrata
<Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Just go to
>the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen

Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner Clocks"
don't have any worries about this, its just the people that have their
clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the problems.....

Regards,
Ed
August 25, 2005 6:12:35 AM

DANG! You get the prize, Ed. I totally missed that. I really need to
think about giving up my day job which is sleeping as it doesn't seem to be
helping much.

--

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0700, Debabrata
> <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Just go to
>>the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen
>
> Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner Clocks"
> don't have any worries about this, its just the people that have their
> clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the problems.....
>
> Regards,
> Ed
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 8:22:01 AM

"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
> 2099.
>
> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
> double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
> Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
> when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
> now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
> glaring
> mistake?
>
> --
> Debabrata Das
>
> Software Engineer
> Kolkata,
> India

You will not be alive in that year, so it does not matter to you.
No one will be running Windows XP in the year 2099, so it does not matter.
Your life is so insignificant and boring that you have nothing more to fret
over than the date that
Windows XP will no longer function...I find that sad.

Get a life....

Bobby
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:02:07 AM

Matt Gibson wrote:
> If you think that any Win2K/XP/2003 boxes will be around in 2099, then I've
> got a bridge to sell you.

Get in line, please.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:25:13 AM

They must use the same clock system in 98SE, same thing happens.
"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
2099.

> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
glaring
> mistake?
>
> --
> Debabrata Das
>
> Software Engineer
> Kolkata,
> India
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:34:22 AM

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYWJyYXRh?= enlightened everyone with this
thoughtful response:

> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System
> Year from 2099.
>
> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out
> yesterday. Just go to the Windows Clock located on the
> bottom left corner of the screen and double click on it.
> Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
> Properties Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the
> magic starts. The moment u cross 2099 the Year becomes
> 1980. So……..now what. As u can clearly see when the
> year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows
> calendar will become 1980. That is u r actually going back
> in time (hahaha…). As u can now have understood the
> implications can be manifold. U we staring at another Y2.1
> scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification
> for this glaring mistake?

I've heard it said that our sun will extinguish itself and/or go
nova in a couple billion years. I don't much care, as I most
surely will be dead. Ditto for whatever will go bump in the
night in Windoze on January 1, 2100.

As to 1980, that's the original DOS date when Bill Gates stole
DOS from its original author then tricked IBM into allowing him
to market it himself by burying one small clause into a 120 page
license agreement. So, whenever any Gatesian software gets
confused, it runs home to momma - 1980.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

Highly irrelevant, I think. You likely will not be alive then and if you
are, you certainly won't be using a computer any longer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
> 2099.
>
> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
> double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
> Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
> when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
> now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
> glaring
> mistake?
>
> --
> Debabrata Das
>
> Software Engineer
> Kolkata,
> India
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:46:08 AM

But it is a lot colder there :o ))

--
Peter

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o uAP4UTqFHA.3180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Wanna trade for an igloo from Southern Louisiana?
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
>> If you think that any Win2K/XP/2003 boxes will be around in 2099, then
>> I've got a bridge to sell you.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:52:00 PM

Stan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:16:28 -0700, "Matt Gibson"
> <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote:
>
> >If you think that any Win2K/XP/2003 boxes will be around in 2099, then I've
> >got a bridge to sell you.
>
> You're right.
>
> However, the same justification was used in 1967 (I was a programmer
> then) for two-digit years because "these programs will all be
> rewritten long before the end of the century." Guess what -- not all
> of them were.
>
> Sure, it's silly to worry _now_ about 2099, and in 2098 it will be a
> crisis. But when exactly does it make sense to start worrying?
> That's not so frivolous a question as you make it out to be.

I don't know if your analogy is quite valid. The situation here is not
with individual programs, but rather with the operating system. I will
go out on a limb here and make a prediction that neither we nor anybody
else will be running WinXP SP2 in the year 2099.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:25:49 PM

"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
> 2099.
>
> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
> double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
> Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
> when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
> now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
> glaring
> mistake?
>
> --

I'll just stock up on water and ammunition.

Carl
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:28:28 PM

bxf wrote:

> I will
> go out on a limb here and make a prediction that neither we nor
> anybody else will be running WinXP SP2 in the year 2099.

Since even if you turn out to be wrong, few, if any, of us will be around in
2099 to prove you wrong, you're not really crawling very far out on that
limb.

Besides, in my darker moments, I'm not at all convinced that there will even
be a 2099.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ed wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0700, Debabrata
> <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Just go to
>> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen
>
> Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner Clocks"
> don't have any worries about this, its just the people that have their
> clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the problems.....

And those with the clocks in the upper right corner. ;-)

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:50:43 PM

Ken Blake wrote:
> bxf wrote:
>
> > I will
> > go out on a limb here and make a prediction that neither we nor
> > anybody else will be running WinXP SP2 in the year 2099.
>

> Since even if you turn out to be wrong, few, if any, of us will be around in
> 2099 to prove you wrong, you're not really crawling very far out on that
> limb.
>
> Besides, in my darker moments, I'm not at all convinced that there will even
> be a 2099.

Yes, the world may end, and it would be all because of that damned
WinXP clock problem!
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:53:33 PM

Debabrata wrote:
> Just go to
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen...

I've been looking for an hour and I can't find any clock on the bottom
left corner, which is where I have my START button. What gives?
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:54:19 PM

Ken Blake wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0700, Debabrata
> > <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Just go to
> >> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen
> >
> > Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner Clocks"
> > don't have any worries about this, its just the people that have their
> > clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the problems.....
>

> And those with the clocks in the upper right corner. ;-)

Is this possible? How? Why?
August 25, 2005 2:12:13 PM

As long as you don't fall asleep for 100 years, like Sleeping Beauty, you
should be ok

Jon

news:o 7Te8LUqFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> DANG! You get the prize, Ed. I totally missed that. I really need to
> think about giving up my day job which is sleeping as it doesn't seem to
> be helping much.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0700, Debabrata
>> <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Just go to
>>>the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen
>>
>> Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner Clocks"
>> don't have any worries about this, its just the people that have their
>> clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the problems.....
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ed

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:34:32 PM

Debabrata wrote:
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from 2099.

Micorsoft will have supplied an update to address this by then. It will
probably be called something like "I've got the horn".

--
Mark Jacobs
http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk

bxf wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> Ed wrote:

>>> Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner
>>> Clocks" don't have any worries about this, its just the people that
>>> have their clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the
>>> problems.....
>>

>> And those with the clocks in the upper right corner. ;-)
>
> Is this possible? How? Why?

The Task Bar, which contains the clock, is on the bottom of the screen by
default, but it can be dragged wherever you want it (unlock it first) Put it
on the left side of the screen and the clock is in the lower left corner.
Put it on the top, and it's in the upper right corner.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:54:45 PM

Ken Blake wrote:
> bxf wrote:
>
> > Ken Blake wrote:

> >> And those with the clocks in the upper right corner. ;-)
> >
> > Is this possible? How? Why?
>

> The Task Bar, which contains the clock, is on the bottom of the screen by
> default, but it can be dragged wherever you want it (unlock it first) Put it
> on the left side of the screen and the clock is in the lower left corner.
> Put it on the top, and it's in the upper right corner.

Of course, how silly of me! It's just that the OP referred to its
location in such a nonchalant way, as if the bottom-left was the usual
position.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:25:45 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:16:28 -0700, "Matt Gibson"
<mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote:

>If you think that any Win2K/XP/2003 boxes will be around in 2099, then I've
>got a bridge to sell you.

You're right.

However, the same justification was used in 1967 (I was a programmer
then) for two-digit years because "these programs will all be
rewritten long before the end of the century." Guess what -- not all
of them were.

Sure, it's silly to worry _now_ about 2099, and in 2098 it will be a
crisis. But when exactly does it make sense to start worrying?
That's not so frivolous a question as you make it out to be.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:47:55 PM

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0700, Debabrata
> <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Just go to
>>the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen
>
> Those of us that belong to the society of "Bottom Right Corner Clocks"
> don't have any worries about this, its just the people that have their
> clocks in the bottom left corner that will have all the problems.....

If the task bar is on the left side of the desktop, the clock would be at
the bottom left corner.

--
William
Anonymous

bxf wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> bxf wrote:

>>> Is this possible? How? Why?
>>

>> The Task Bar, which contains the clock, is on the bottom of the
>> screen by default, but it can be dragged wherever you want it
>> (unlock it first) Put it on the left side of the screen and the
>> clock is in the lower left corner. Put it on the top, and it's in
>> the upper right corner.
>
> Of course, how silly of me! It's just that the OP referred to its
> location in such a nonchalant way, as if the bottom-left was the usual
> position.

I think that was the point of his little joke (and my follow-up little
joke).

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
August 25, 2005 4:42:40 PM

[**Complete disclaimer from any problems caused**]

[**DO NOT TRY*** unless you know how to change the clock time within your
computer's BIOS]

Some pretty weird things start happening if you try and set it by using the
command line "date" function too

eg Start > run > cmd
date
Enter date eg 25-08-2100

The clock now shows the date.

Programs may crash and your computer may not reboot, so be careful

Jon

"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
> 2099.
>
> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
> double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
> Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
> when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
> now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
> glaring
> mistake?
>
> --
> Debabrata Das
>
> Software Engineer
> Kolkata,
> India
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:54:25 PM

news:o uAP4UTqFHA.3180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Wanna trade for an igloo from Southern Louisiana?

Is that igloo air-conditioned? It's gets mighty hot in southern Lousiana.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:42:49 PM

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> You will not be alive in that year, so it does not matter to you.
> No one will be running Windows XP in the year 2099, so it does not matter.
> Your life is so insignificant and boring that you have nothing more to fret
> over than the date that
> Windows XP will no longer function...I find that sad.
>
> Get a life....

<TONGUE SLIGHTLY IN CHEEK>
Some of us have children (those with lives, anyway) and want them to have our
grandchildren, so we have vested interests in 2099. How can I leave my great
great grandson a nice shiny PC if it doesn't work 'coz of the date? Come on,
NoNoBadDog, try caring a bit.
</TONGUE SLIGHTLY IN CHEEK>

--
Mark Jacobs
http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:04:49 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>DANG! You get the prize, Ed. I totally missed that. I really need to
>think about giving up my day job which is sleeping as it doesn't seem to be
>helping much.

Well, it seems as though I am the one with egg on my face after
reading some of the replies. It so happens that you can end up with
the clock on the lower left by relocating the task bar.

Blushing Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:25:38 AM

Anyone who seriously worries about the clock doing something wrong in
2099 I'd advise to seek some counseling, cause your life can be a whole
lot more fun and you don't know it :-D
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:53:10 AM

Rolled the date year forward without applying.
ZA Pros' truevector closed.
MS Outlook's calendar started notifying me of appointments and events.
No, not kidding here.

"Debabrata" <Debabrata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D CCBA786-B890-4751-8BDF-E4DDDCB85E9D@microsoft.com...
> Have u seen what happens when u increase the Windows System Year from
2099.

> This was a nice and disturbing thing that I found out yesterday. Just go
> the Windows Clock located on the bottom left corner of the screen and
double
> click on it. Double clicking on it will bring up the Date and Time
Properties
> Dialog Box. Now increase the Year field. Now the magic starts. The moment
> cross 2099 the Year becomes 1980. So....now what. As u can clearly see
when
> the year 2099 comes (and ends) the next ear on Ur Windows calendar will
> become 1980. That is u r actually going back in time (hahaha.). As u can
now
> have understood the implications can be manifold. U we staring at another
> Y2.1 scenario.
>
> Should not the Microsoft guys come out with a clarification for this
glaring
> mistake?
>
> --
> Debabrata Das