Closed

Outsourced tech support :)

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I think Dave Barry has it just about right in his latest column -

========================

I recently had a problem with a computer, so I called Technical
Support, and although the person on the other end sincerely tried to
help, the only word I consistently understood him saying was
''David.''

I felt like the dog in the Far Side cartoon who's getting a stern
lecture from his master, but the only thing the dog understands is his
own name:

TECH SUPPORT GUY: David, wokm todelc strsprot, David. Cnygv meth
serilnbr?

ME: The serial number? You want the serial Number?

TECH SUPPORT GUY: Thtsrdy ndimsng, David. Logndr btmmrstit, David?

ME: What?

TECH SUPPORT GUY: Sit, David! Lie down!
11 answers Last reply
More about outsourced tech support
  1. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I've enjoyed Dave Barry for many years. Thanks for posting that, it's
    hilarious.

    "Steve" <trn@sqwex.com> wrote in message

    > I think Dave Barry has it just about right in his latest column -
    >
    > ========================
    >
    > I recently had a problem with a computer, so I called Technical
    > Support, and although the person on the other end sincerely tried to
    > help, the only word I consistently understood him saying was
    > ''David.''
    >
    > I felt like the dog in the Far Side cartoon who's getting a stern
    > lecture from his master, but the only thing the dog understands is his
    > own name:
    >
    > TECH SUPPORT GUY: David, wokm todelc strsprot, David. Cnygv meth
    > serilnbr?
    >
    > ME: The serial number? You want the serial Number?
    >
    > TECH SUPPORT GUY: Thtsrdy ndimsng, David. Logndr btmmrstit, David?
    >
    > ME: What?
    >
    > TECH SUPPORT GUY: Sit, David! Lie down!

  2. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.

    Rocky

    "Steve" <trn@sqwex.com> wrote in message

    > I think Dave Barry has it just about right in his latest column -
    >
    > ========================
    >
    > I recently had a problem with a computer, so I called Technical
    > Support, and although the person on the other end sincerely tried to
    > help, the only word I consistently understood him saying was
    > ''David.''
    >
    > I felt like the dog in the Far Side cartoon who's getting a stern
    > lecture from his master, but the only thing the dog understands is his
    > own name:
    >
    > TECH SUPPORT GUY: David, wokm todelc strsprot, David. Cnygv meth
    > serilnbr?
    >
    > ME: The serial number? You want the serial Number?
    >
    > TECH SUPPORT GUY: Thtsrdy ndimsng, David. Logndr btmmrstit, David?
    >
    > ME: What?
    >
    > TECH SUPPORT GUY: Sit, David! Lie down!

  3. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    so what point are you trying to make? businesses need people that can
    properly communicate with their customers whether they are across the street
    or on the other side of the planet. but the bean counter mentality just
    sees how much they can save and doesn't care about these slight
    implementation details. i wonder if all those "savings" have been lost on
    bad publicity and lost sales? hard to quantify but you can't deny there is
    a cost to it.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    > Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Steve" <trn@sqwex.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I think Dave Barry has it just about right in his latest column -
    > >
    > > ========================
    > >
    > > I recently had a problem with a computer, so I called Technical
    > > Support, and although the person on the other end sincerely tried to
    > > help, the only word I consistently understood him saying was
    > > ''David.''
    > >
    > > I felt like the dog in the Far Side cartoon who's getting a stern
    > > lecture from his master, but the only thing the dog understands is his
    > > own name:
    > >
    > > TECH SUPPORT GUY: David, wokm todelc strsprot, David. Cnygv meth
    > > serilnbr?
    > >
    > > ME: The serial number? You want the serial Number?
    > >
    > > TECH SUPPORT GUY: Thtsrdy ndimsng, David. Logndr btmmrstit, David?
    > >
    > > ME: What?
    > >
    > > TECH SUPPORT GUY: Sit, David! Lie down!

  4. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:07:19 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

    >You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    >Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.

    You can cross the street and find someone you CAN deal with, but when
    a "service" is outsourced to an overseas location staffed with native
    speakers of that country you do not have that option and are forced to
    take what you get!
  5. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    That's not really correct. The Internet offers a wealth of resources for
    support. Are you opposed to accents or just to foreigners?

    Rocky

    <avoidspam@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:07:19 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    >
    > >You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    > >Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.
    >
    > You can cross the street and find someone you CAN deal with, but when
    > a "service" is outsourced to an overseas location staffed with native
    > speakers of that country you do not have that option and are forced to
    > take what you get!
  6. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    of course he's correct. sounds like he's opposed to not getting proper
    support due to the inadequate communication capabilities of the people
    supplying the support. or do you advocate we all learn hindi? or chinese?
    or russian?

    > That's not really correct. The Internet offers a wealth of resources for
    > support. Are you opposed to accents or just to foreigners?
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > <avoidspam@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:07:19 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    > > >Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.
    > >
    > > You can cross the street and find someone you CAN deal with, but when
    > > a "service" is outsourced to an overseas location staffed with native
    > > speakers of that country you do not have that option and are forced to
    > > take what you get!

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > That's not really correct. The Internet offers a wealth of resources for
    > support. Are you opposed to accents or just to foreigners?
    >
    > Rocky

    <snip>

    Coming in a little hot on the approach there Rocky.

    I agree with the poster about attempting to solve problems with techs who're
    miles away literally, culturally, and otherwise. There's nothing
    particularly warm and fuzzy about that experience, though I've been
    fortunate to have had 'satisfactory' results from those overseas calls.

    Likewise, I'd agree that one can find an drooling idiot of a tech locally
    without much problem. But as the poster said, at least locally I could
    count on word of mouth or upon first impressions.

    Outsourcing is a hot-button issue right now and apparently a legitimate one
    for dell's corporate customers, otherwise those calls would've never been
    directed back to domestic call centers.

    I'm not really sure what the internet has to do with the discussion, but
    anyway....

    Stew
  8. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <bP6dnZaQ4t8AUQrdRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, gooey@x.com says...
    > of course he's correct. sounds like he's opposed to not getting proper
    > support due to the inadequate communication capabilities of the people
    > supplying the support. or do you advocate we all learn hindi? or chinese?
    > or russian?

    I purchased about 1 million in hardware last year from Dell, much of it
    was commercial account based, but about 1/3 was SOHO/Home user based.

    The difference in Communication / Understanding and also in basic
    troubleshooting is dramatic when it comes to using off-shore resources.
    In many cases, my experience has been, the off-shore tech's don't
    understand non-proper-english terms, have a hard time being understood
    (difficult to understand), and have a limited ability to work outside
    the script. As for what country the off-shore person is located in, it
    doesn't matter if any of the above applies.

    I have actually moved all of my SOHO/Home user purchased to a local
    vendor that can get us a lower cost, custom configs, volume numbers of
    units, and OEM parts/software. The only drawback is the lack of 24/7
    phone support - but the reduced cost makes up for it since they always
    call us before Dell anyway.

    If Dell moves business support off-shore I will take our purchases to
    another company, maybe even IBM just to take a jab at Dell.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  9. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    foreigners
    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > That's not really correct. The Internet offers a wealth of resources for
    > support. Are you opposed to accents or just to foreigners?
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > <avoidspam@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:07:19 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    > > >Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.
    > >
    > > You can cross the street and find someone you CAN deal with, but when
    > > a "service" is outsourced to an overseas location staffed with native
    > > speakers of that country you do not have that option and are forced to
    > > take what you get!

  10. Archived from groups: misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I would say I am opposed to both if I have to deal with offshore resources.
    If they are legal American citizens living and working in America, then I
    don't care what language or culture they are, as they are contributing to
    the American economy. If they are offshore, then they are a threat to the
    American worker. Without going into the complexities that most people don't
    understand anyway, expecially our current Idiot in Chief in DC, it is also a
    large threat to many aspects of the American economy.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > That's not really correct. The Internet offers a wealth of resources for
    > support. Are you opposed to accents or just to foreigners?
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > <avoidspam@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:07:19 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >You can deal with someone just as unintelligible at the corner store.
    > > >Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.
    > >
    > > You can cross the street and find someone you CAN deal with, but when
    > > a "service" is outsourced to an overseas location staffed with native
    > > speakers of that country you do not have that option and are forced to
    > > take what you get!

  11. This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011

Dell Support Computer Computers