Windows Installer - User Name and Organization

August 25, 2005 5:00:06 AM

All - I am in the process of replacing about 20 computers. The problem is
they come from the manf. with " " as the user and organization. I am able
to update the windows owner info with the correct info, but when a new
installer windows opens, it still has the blank spaces for the name and
organization. Does anyone know where in the registry this info is stored?

Thanks,
Brian
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:57:00 AM

Not sure where in the registry it is but I'm sure if yuo search for "owner"
or "organization" you will find it.
Mike D
"Brian P. Hammer" <NoSpam@LotsOf.It> wrote in message
> All - I am in the process of replacing about 20 computers. The problem is
> they come from the manf. with " " as the user and organization. I am able
> to update the windows owner info with the correct info, but when a new
> installer windows opens, it still has the blank spaces for the name and
> organization. Does anyone know where in the registry this info is stored?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

August 25, 2005 6:15:17 AM

Hi Brian,

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

In the right pane, double click RegisteredOwner and change the Value data.

Or you can use this automated script:

Change Registered Owner and Organization (Line 7)

Change Computer Name (Line 109)

Change My Computer Name to User Name (Line 131)

How to change the company name and user name in Office XP programs
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290528

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Brian P. Hammer" <NoSpam@LotsOf.It> wrote in message
> All - I am in the process of replacing about 20 computers. The problem is
> they come from the manf. with " " as the user and organization. I am able
> to update the windows owner info with the correct info, but when a new
> installer windows opens, it still has the blank spaces for the name and
> organization. Does anyone know where in the registry this info is stored?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:51:28 PM

Kelly - Thanks for the tips. The registered owner and name were previously
changed and does not affect the default name or default organization that
comes up when running an installer. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

news:o g8lyRUqFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!