Very basic printer query

I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.

Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (I think an IP 4000) for us to
use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).

OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
port.

My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer for
most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as perhaps
printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.

Mel

BigJim

when you decide to print you will have the option of selecting the printer
you want to use.
I use a usb and parallel printer also works great in xp.
"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
>(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
>keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.
>
> Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (I think an IP 4000) for us
> to use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).
>
> OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
> port.
>
> My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer for
> most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as
> perhaps printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.
>
> Mel

The IP4000 is a fantastic printer. I bought one for my Canon SD200. My HP
Laserjet is my default printer and when I click on the print icon, all print
jobs are sent to it unless I manually select the IP4000.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
>(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
>keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.
>
> Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (I think an IP 4000) for us
> to use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).
>
> OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
> port.
>
> My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer for
> most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as
> perhaps printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.
>
> Mel

Hmmm... does it work well with text, too?
Maybe I'll just make it my default printer (once I get it set up)

(I can try it and see, but it seems to be primarily a photo printer)

Mel
> The IP4000 is a fantastic printer. I bought one for my Canon SD200. My
> HP Laserjet is my default printer and when I click on the print icon, all
> print jobs are sent to it unless I manually select the IP4000.
>
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
>>(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
>>keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.
>>
>> Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (I think an IP 4000) for us
>> to use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).
>>
>> OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
>> port.
>>
>> My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer
>> for most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as
>> perhaps printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.
>>
>> Mel

MB_,
One consideration is the cost of printing. Generally for example a laser
jet (B&W) costs less to operate than an inkjet. So for just text or where
color isn't important I use a laser jet. For other applications my inkjet
with duplex printing saves on the cost of paper. Your requirements may be
different.
Paul