Event ID: 489
Date: 8/25/2005
Time: 3:48:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PRIMARY
wuauclt (1456) An attempt to open the file
"G:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read only
access failed with system error 3 (0x00000003): "The system cannot find the
path specified. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1023
(0xfffffc01).

--- From yesterdays message ----

No wonder it crashed. I have no G: drive on my system according to My
Computer or Disk Management so, like J. Buffett's tattoo, where it came from
I haven't a clue. Is there a remedy for this? Perhaps a registry edit or
even a repair/install?

Searching the registry via regedit reveals numerous entries for G: but I am
leery of messing around with them without some guidance.
3 answers Last reply
More about please hellp home crashed

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
    (F4)

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
    > The crash occurred just after I opened Outlook Express and began composing
    > message for a newsgroup. And was the same nature I reported yesterday in a
    > post entitled Event Log Error Message.
    >
    > The blue screen showed the following:
    >
    > Stop:0x000000F4(0x00000003,0x830B9020,0xB20B9194,0x805FA7A8
    >
    > The Event Log contained:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: ESENT
    > Event Category: General
    > Event ID: 489
    > Date: 8/25/2005
    > Time: 3:48:46 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: PRIMARY
    > wuauclt (1456) An attempt to open the file
    > "G:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read only
    > access failed with system error 3 (0x00000003): "The system cannot find
    > the
    > path specified. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1023
    > (0xfffffc01).

    > --- From yesterdays message ----
    >
    > No wonder it crashed. I have no G: drive on my system according to My
    > Computer or Disk Management so, like J. Buffett's tattoo, where it came
    > from
    > I haven't a clue. Is there a remedy for this? Perhaps a registry edit or
    > even a repair/install?
    >
    > Searching the registry via regedit reveals numerous entries for G: but I
    > am
    > leery of messing around with them without some guidance.

    Thank you, Will,

    I will look at and try to understand the article.

    Jack

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand
    > column
    > (F4)
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
    >> The crash occurred just after I opened Outlook Express and began
    >> composing a
    >> message for a newsgroup. And was the same nature I reported yesterday in
    >> post entitled Event Log Error Message.
    >>
    >> The blue screen showed the following:
    >>
    >> Stop:0x000000F4(0x00000003,0x830B9020,0xB20B9194,0x805FA7A8
    >>
    >> The Event Log contained:
    >>
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: ESENT
    >> Event Category: General
    >> Event ID: 489
    >> Date: 8/25/2005
    >> Time: 3:48:46 AM
    >> User: N/A
    >> Computer: PRIMARY
    >> wuauclt (1456) An attempt to open the file
    >> "G:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read only
    >> access failed with system error 3 (0x00000003): "The system cannot find
    >> the
    >> path specified. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1023
    >> (0xfffffc01).

    >> --- From yesterdays message ----
    >>
    >> No wonder it crashed. I have no G: drive on my system according to My
    >> Computer or Disk Management so, like J. Buffett's tattoo, where it came
    >> from
    >> I haven't a clue. Is there a remedy for this? Perhaps a registry edit
    >> or
    >> even a repair/install?
    >>
    >> Searching the registry via regedit reveals numerous entries for G: but I
    >> am
    >> leery of messing around with them without some guidance.

    OK, Will,

    I have looked at the link you supplied. It seems to apply to F4 after
    returning from standby and having XP installed on a slave drive. Neither is
    the case here. XP is on Disk 0 (Master) and never goes into standby as far
    as I know -- at least I told it not to in Power Options. Also, I have
    Automatic Updates turned off. So that leaves me wondering what ESENT's
    purpose is.

    I have added no hardware in a long time so that doesn't seem to apply.

    I am still puzzled by the reference to G: in the Event Log error indication
    and in the registry. I've no G: installed, only C: , D: and E: on Disk 0
    and F: on Disk 1.

    Still searching for an answer. Oh yes, I did replace the ribbon cables to
    the disks as suggested by the article.

    Thanks again for your interest.

Windows XP