Event ID: 489
Date: 8/25/2005
Time: 3:48:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PRIMARY
wuauclt (1456) An attempt to open the file
"G:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read only
access failed with system error 3 (0x00000003): "The system cannot find the
path specified. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1023
(0xfffffc01).

--- From yesterdays message ----

No wonder it crashed. I have no G: drive on my system according to My
Computer or Disk Management so, like J. Buffett's tattoo, where it came from
I haven't a clue. Is there a remedy for this? Perhaps a registry edit or
even a repair/install?

Searching the registry via regedit reveals numerous entries for G: but I am
leery of messing around with them without some guidance.

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
(F4)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> The crash occurred just after I opened Outlook Express and began composing
> message for a newsgroup. And was the same nature I reported yesterday in a
> post entitled Event Log Error Message.
>
> The blue screen showed the following:
>
> Stop:0x000000F4(0x00000003,0x830B9020,0xB20B9194,0x805FA7A8
>
> The Event Log contained:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: ESENT
> Event Category: General
> Event ID: 489
> Date: 8/25/2005
> Time: 3:48:46 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: PRIMARY
> wuauclt (1456) An attempt to open the file
> "G:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read only
> access failed with system error 3 (0x00000003): "The system cannot find
> the
> path specified. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1023
> (0xfffffc01).

> --- From yesterdays message ----
>
> No wonder it crashed. I have no G: drive on my system according to My
> Computer or Disk Management so, like J. Buffett's tattoo, where it came
> from
> I haven't a clue. Is there a remedy for this? Perhaps a registry edit or
> even a repair/install?
>
> Searching the registry via regedit reveals numerous entries for G: but I
> am
> leery of messing around with them without some guidance.

Thank you, Will,

I will look at and try to understand the article.

Jack

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand
> column
> (F4)
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>> The crash occurred just after I opened Outlook Express and began
>> composing a
>> message for a newsgroup. And was the same nature I reported yesterday in
>> post entitled Event Log Error Message.
>>
>> The blue screen showed the following:
>>
>> Stop:0x000000F4(0x00000003,0x830B9020,0xB20B9194,0x805FA7A8
>>
>> The Event Log contained:
>>
>> Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: ESENT
>> Event Category: General
>> Event ID: 489
>> Date: 8/25/2005
>> Time: 3:48:46 AM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: PRIMARY
>> wuauclt (1456) An attempt to open the file
>> "G:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read only
>> access failed with system error 3 (0x00000003): "The system cannot find
>> the
>> path specified. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1023
>> (0xfffffc01).

>> --- From yesterdays message ----
>>
>> No wonder it crashed. I have no G: drive on my system according to My
>> Computer or Disk Management so, like J. Buffett's tattoo, where it came
>> from
>> I haven't a clue. Is there a remedy for this? Perhaps a registry edit
>> or
>> even a repair/install?
>>
>> Searching the registry via regedit reveals numerous entries for G: but I
>> am
>> leery of messing around with them without some guidance.

OK, Will,

I have looked at the link you supplied. It seems to apply to F4 after
returning from standby and having XP installed on a slave drive. Neither is
the case here. XP is on Disk 0 (Master) and never goes into standby as far
as I know -- at least I told it not to in Power Options. Also, I have
Automatic Updates turned off. So that leaves me wondering what ESENT's
purpose is.

I have added no hardware in a long time so that doesn't seem to apply.

I am still puzzled by the reference to G: in the Event Log error indication
and in the registry. I've no G: installed, only C: , D: and E: on Disk 0
and F: on Disk 1.

Still searching for an answer. Oh yes, I did replace the ribbon cables to
the disks as suggested by the article.

Thanks again for your interest.