Email folder content gone!

I'm running OutLook Express 6.0 About a year ago I noticed that a two
subfolders all of a sudden were empty/gone! I tried desperately to find the
lost mail to no avail. Now it has happened again!?! Under OL Exp > Local
Folders I have four of my own folders. The oldest folder is intact and wasn't
touched, but I am very scared now that it can happen to any of the folders.
Please help
6 answers Last reply
More about email folder content gone

    Not using Norton 2003 are you?? There was a problem similar to your
    description with the early releases. It was fixed by their updates.

    I should save the contents of the remaining folder immediately. Search for
    the folders by name via start menu and check the deleted items folder and
    your recycle bin - it always worth a try.

    "Putin" <Putin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running OutLook Express 6.0 About a year ago I noticed that a two
    > subfolders all of a sudden were empty/gone! I tried desperately to find
    > the
    > lost mail to no avail. Now it has happened again!?! Under OL Exp > Local
    > Folders I have four of my own folders. The oldest folder is intact and
    > wasn't
    > touched, but I am very scared now that it can happen to any of the
    > folders.
    > Please help

    .......and also Mcafee version 6.
    check for the patch if that is what you are usiing. Your mails disappear
    once you close outlook.

    Spikey <hedge_hogg@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> schreef in artikel
    <#hSbtNVqFHA.3136@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > Not using Norton 2003 are you?? There was a problem similar to your
    > description with the early releases. It was fixed by their updates.
    >
    > I should save the contents of the remaining folder immediately. Search
    for
    > the folders by name via start menu and check the deleted items folder
    and
    > your recycle bin - it always worth a try.
    >

    > "Putin" <Putin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm running OutLook Express 6.0 About a year ago I noticed that a two
    > > subfolders all of a sudden were empty/gone! I tried desperately to find

    > > the
    > > lost mail to no avail. Now it has happened again!?! Under OL Exp >
    Local
    > > Folders I have four of my own folders. The oldest folder is intact and
    > > wasn't
    > > touched, but I am very scared now that it can happen to any of the
    > > folders.
    > > Please help

    I'm using Norton SystemWorks 2005. Are you talking about Norton Anti Virus
    2003?

    ******Here is another post with instructions on trying to get back the old
    folder.

    Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
    of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
    location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will put the location
    in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the
    location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

    In WindowsXP &2K, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
    marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
    Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
    Options>View.

    In Windows Explorer, click on the file and drag it to the Desktop. Open OE
    and create a folder with the *exact* same name as the one on your desktop.
    ***Copy a message from any folder to the new one. You MUST do this.*** Close
    OE. Go back to Windows Explorer and Click Desktop and drag the folder from
    the Desktop to the OE store folder that you clicked on to reveal the .dbx
    files. Prompt - "Do you want to overwrite......."? Click Yes.

    Bruce Hagen
    MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    ******Here is a post concerning scanning emails.
    Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
    protection.

    The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
    Published: November 18, 2004
    By Tom Koch
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

    Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
    times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
    attachments, which exasperates the problem.
    Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
    switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. Norton invented email
    scanning and here's what they say:

    "Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
    that
    are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
    incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
    email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
    make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
    Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
    the most recent virus definitions."
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0

    "...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect
    scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are
    saved to your hard drive."
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001100907323806

    "NAV provides multiple layers of protection. Email scanning is just one of
    those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
    protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
    Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
    attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
    Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
    and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
    definitions."
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/f7d6cb402f0b760785256ee600549628/abcba312aed2225285256edd00478dbd?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    See also
    http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml

    So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
    have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
    know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    ******Here is a post on recommended maintenance.
    Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
    become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
    mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly.
    Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as
    is feasible.

    After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually
    while working *offline* and do it often.

    Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
    open. Then: File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status
    Bar).
    File>Folder>Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting
    is completed.

    In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
    and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

    Bruce Hagen
    MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    --
    Ron Sommer

    > I'm using Norton SystemWorks 2005. Are you talking about Norton Anti Virus
    > 2003?

    The problem was reported in "the Register" several years back. It was Norton
    Antivirus 2003 but after a few months they patched it via liveupdate. It was
    affecting some 2000/XP users. I havent heard of it affecting later
    versions??

    If the folders have only just gone you could try a restore point to a few
    days earlier and see if they are back. I sucessful you could try further
    back for the other folder.

    I hate to be an old nag but you need to back up regularly - how often is
    dependant on how critical your files are.

    :o)

    Spikey wrote:

    > Not using Norton 2003 are you?? There was a problem similar to your
    > description with the early releases. It was fixed by their updates.

    "email folder gone after using norton"

    "cant send email after nortons update"

    What's up with nortons?

Outlook Express Email Microsoft Windows XP