I'm running OutLook Express 6.0 About a year ago I noticed that a two
subfolders all of a sudden were empty/gone! I tried desperately to find the
lost mail to no avail. Now it has happened again!?! Under OL Exp > Local
Folders I have four of my own folders. The oldest folder is intact and wasn't
touched, but I am very scared now that it can happen to any of the folders.
Please help

Not using Norton 2003 are you?? There was a problem similar to your
description with the early releases. It was fixed by their updates.

I should save the contents of the remaining folder immediately. Search for
the folders by name via start menu and check the deleted items folder and
your recycle bin - it always worth a try.

"Putin" <Putin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running OutLook Express 6.0 About a year ago I noticed that a two
> subfolders all of a sudden were empty/gone! I tried desperately to find
> the
> lost mail to no avail. Now it has happened again!?! Under OL Exp > Local
> Folders I have four of my own folders. The oldest folder is intact and
> wasn't
> touched, but I am very scared now that it can happen to any of the
> folders.
> Please help

sammy

.......and also Mcafee version 6.
check for the patch if that is what you are usiing. Your mails disappear
once you close outlook.

Spikey <hedge_hogg@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> schreef in artikel
<#hSbtNVqFHA.3136@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Not using Norton 2003 are you?? There was a problem similar to your
> description with the early releases. It was fixed by their updates.
>
> I should save the contents of the remaining folder immediately. Search
for
> the folders by name via start menu and check the deleted items folder
and
> your recycle bin - it always worth a try.
>

> "Putin" <Putin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running OutLook Express 6.0 About a year ago I noticed that a two
> > subfolders all of a sudden were empty/gone! I tried desperately to find

> > the
> > lost mail to no avail. Now it has happened again!?! Under OL Exp >
Local
> > Folders I have four of my own folders. The oldest folder is intact and
> > wasn't
> > touched, but I am very scared now that it can happen to any of the
> > folders.
> > Please help

I'm using Norton SystemWorks 2005. Are you talking about Norton Anti Virus
2003?

******Here is another post with instructions on trying to get back the old
folder.

Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will put the location
in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the
location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WindowsXP &2K, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
Options>View.

In Windows Explorer, click on the file and drag it to the Desktop. Open OE
and create a folder with the *exact* same name as the one on your desktop.
***Copy a message from any folder to the new one. You MUST do this.*** Close
OE. Go back to Windows Explorer and Click Desktop and drag the folder from
the Desktop to the OE store folder that you clicked on to reveal the .dbx
files. Prompt - "Do you want to overwrite......."? Click Yes.

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

******Here is a post concerning scanning emails.
Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:

"Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0

"...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect
scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are
saved to your hard drive."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001100907323806

"NAV provides multiple layers of protection. Email scanning is just one of
those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/f7d6cb402f0b760785256ee600549628/abcba312aed2225285256edd00478dbd?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

******Here is a post on recommended maintenance.
Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly.
Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as
is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually
while working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status
Bar).
File>Folder>Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting
is completed.

In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

--
Ron Sommer

> I'm using Norton SystemWorks 2005. Are you talking about Norton Anti Virus
> 2003?

The problem was reported in "the Register" several years back. It was Norton
Antivirus 2003 but after a few months they patched it via liveupdate. It was
affecting some 2000/XP users. I havent heard of it affecting later
versions??

If the folders have only just gone you could try a restore point to a few
days earlier and see if they are back. I sucessful you could try further
back for the other folder.

I hate to be an old nag but you need to back up regularly - how often is
dependant on how critical your files are.

:eek:)

Spikey wrote:

> Not using Norton 2003 are you?? There was a problem similar to your
> description with the early releases. It was fixed by their updates.

"email folder gone after using norton"

"cant send email after nortons update"

What's up with nortons?