Sign in with
Your question

The Road to Windows "Longhorn" Part Two

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2003 1:00:57 AM

<A HREF="http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2..." target="_new">http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2...;/A>

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
August 13, 2003 1:26:46 AM

there are hacked alpha releases of longhorn already in circulation...if that makes any diffrence...

How many bits are in a nibble?
Related resources
August 13, 2003 1:57:18 AM

Well read the article. Doesn't seem like a heck of a lot is comming out. Right now I'd say it was just the next release of Windows XP.

Getting rid of drive letters doesn't impress me. Instead of c:\ we now get \c\ ??? or other directory name of your choice? Not much wow factor there.

They seem to be moving the graphics capabilities on nicely.

More bet is it is more marketing hype than anything amazing. Probably some nice solid improvements blown out of proportion. You've absolutely got to get the horn u know! :evil: 

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/12/03 09:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 13, 2003 2:32:20 AM

Now why would anyone want to hack longhorn?
August 13, 2003 3:39:31 AM

Longhorn's #1 priority better be SECURITY. WinXP is great but the holes in it are a bit too much coming from a company with the resources of MSFT.

August 13, 2003 3:44:27 AM

Why not...i am curious...i was actually thinking about doing it...

August 13, 2003 1:45:09 PM

Quote:
Longhorn's #1 priority better be SECURITY. WinXP is great but the holes in it are a bit too much coming from a company with the resources of MSFT.

No kidding! I just recently installed XP Pro SP1 on a new machine and then did a 'Windows Update' and it wanted me to download something like 26MB <i>just</i> of critical hotfixes. That's damn near insane. (Especially since I didn't see any CD offered and I'm on a dialup connection that's typically at a 36K rate.) I had to leave the computer downloading over night just to patch the darn securty holes.

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>
August 13, 2003 1:52:25 PM

wonder how easy it will be to crack?
August 13, 2003 1:56:48 PM

looks mac-ish
August 13, 2003 6:22:28 PM

Are we talking about the final release or the alpha version?

Because i think the alpha also needs some minor crackage...

IMO...microsoft is just killing theselves...no matter what if we (enthusiasts) want their product...we will crack it...so far M$ has been pretty weak on their "uncrackable OS's"

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
August 13, 2003 6:55:59 PM

I have to agree with PIII Man, I simply refuse to pay for any software that is produced by a company who's majority owner is worth over 40 billion. Whats going to happen is MS is going to walk themselves right out of market share.

Drones use MS at work because its easy
Drones then go home and use it on the home PC
Everyone makes everything compatible with WinDOZE

What will happen is someone will create a Unix/Linux Varient that is just as easy to use, when that happens MS is PHUCKED

The Rig
2.4c @ 3.0
OCZ pc3500
Asus P4C800-E
4 Maxtor 250gig serial ata drives
Enermax 465watt
Viewsonic 17" tft
ATI 9800Pro @ stock
August 13, 2003 8:38:45 PM

The Athens PC prototype better not be the determining and final one. Look at it! It's a freakin' Mac in disguise, with an annoying micro-keyboard and cheap speakers!
Hell no, I ain't ever switchin' to such.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.
August 13, 2003 11:55:39 PM

Quote:

Four.
August 14, 2003 2:15:47 AM

Quote:
Getting rid of drive letters doesn't impress me. Instead of c:\ we now get \c\ ??? or other directory name of your choice? Not much wow factor there.

If WinFS is based on relational databases the answer to your question is no.

Instead, it would probably result in something more like...

programs
documents
images
music

Everything else will probably hidden.

But if you save a document anywhere on the drive, my educational guess is it gets registered in a relational database in a table that stores document names. So no matter what you do, or what programs do, you will always have a list of all the documents existing on your drive.

It will just make your drive appear to be less cluttered and probably make it easier to find files.

I envision that their "my documents" idea will really be a "my documents" folder since now you can't misplace things.

This is all speculation however.

Note: I'm not saying that when you save a document, it will always end up in the document folder. I am saying that no matter how the document is saved on the disk, it gets registered into an "index" which also stores it's location on the disk. Therefore, if we just look at this "index" we get a list of all the documents.
August 14, 2003 2:43:54 AM

Ok we'll hack Longhorn.
August 14, 2003 4:41:06 AM

just another way microsoft will give the power user less freedom...not seeing system files...ARGH!

August 14, 2003 4:45:44 AM

NAW i am really happy with 2k3...if you are hacking an OS might as well go with that...

I was haven trouble playing games before...but i did some snooping and found that by default direct draw...and all of the features that go with it (direct 3d) were off...so all i had to do was DXdiag and turn em on...and now i can play any game...WOOOOOT!..

Dare i say i like it better than 2k pro...hard to tell...but it is very nice...like an XP without the bloat and without the shity user interface...the "windows" root folder is only 1gb...very close to what it is for 2k...so this is a pretty "lean" os...unlike obease xp

August 15, 2003 2:59:05 AM

Looks like you have a winner there. 2k3 being as good as 2kpro.
August 15, 2003 3:00:22 AM

From what I've been reading. I'm staying with 2000 Pro.
August 15, 2003 3:00:59 AM

Longhorn looks like a clone of XP!!!!!
August 15, 2003 5:00:59 PM

Quote:
I simply refuse to pay for any software that is produced by a company who's majority owner is worth over 40 billion.

So what you're saying is that people who make products that are good enough to sell and make money from should not be allowed to make money by selling their products?

Quote:
Whats going to happen is MS is going to walk themselves right out of market share.

I soooooo wish that this was true. Somewhere along the way M$ forgot how to actually listen to what their customers want and started instead dictating to us what we want. And that's just silly. So I do hope that they lose market share. Unfortunately I don't really see it happening though. :( 

Quote:
Drones use MS at work because its easy
Drones then go home and use it on the home PC
Everyone makes everything compatible with WinDOZE

So you're saying that no one who is actually capable of independant thought could have possibly chosen M$ products for a good reason? They must just <i>all</i> be drones.

Quote:
What will happen is someone will create a Unix/Linux Varient that is just as easy to use, when that happens MS is PHUCKED

<i>IF</i> that ever happened it certainly would make M$'s life much more difficult. I don't see it happening though ... <i>ever</i>. Every Linux user that I've ever met prides themselves on actually knowing the intricacies of Linux. And so long as such intricacies actually exist (and are 99.9% of the time needed at <i>some</i> point in the life of the PC) then Linux will <i>never</i> be as easy to use as Windows. And since <i>everyone</i> (as far as I can tell anyway) prides Linux on these intricacies and in a purist extremism scoff at anyone who even suggests getting rid of them, this will always be the way things are. I personally don't see how Linux could <i>ever</i> be as easy to use as Windows. <i>Not</i> because it is technologically impossible, but because of the mentality of the very people who drive the advancement of Linux in the first place.

Besides, for as cool as Linux is, there are still some things that M$ does better. I have a Mandrake9/Win2K Pro dual boot system at work. I replaced the mouse. (Which also switched from PS2 to USB.) Microsoft asked me to reboot, but even without rebooting the new mouse worked right away, without even having to specify new drivers. Windows had a generic mouse driver that it used as a holdover and worked peachy keen so that I was never without mouse functionality. Linux on the other hand forced me to use the keyboard until I could finally convince it that indeed there was another mouse present already and it'd work just fine if only it tried.

Things like these are trivial in a way, however they can instantly sour and frustrate an inexperienced user. And that's really the point. Linux is based on the concept that users actually have a clue how to use a PC. It always has been and it always will be. Windows however is quite adept at working flawlessly without user intervention. And until basic things like that change for Linux, Windows will <i>always</i> be the first choice for <i>most</i> computer owners.

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>
August 16, 2003 1:20:31 AM

Quote:

So what you're saying is that people who make products that are good enough to sell and make money from should not be allowed to make money by selling their products?

M$ may deserve money from the US people, because most of them are capable to pay for the software. But from the people of the poor countries, they don't deserve a single cent. Very few people would be able to use PC in Indian subcontinent if they were forced to buy legit version of software. So M$ could not make a good profit from Indian subcontinent. Now they are not paying M$ but using the software. In both cases, M$ is getting the same ammount of money from Indian subcontinent, but the local people are getting benefit. So why not suppot piracy for poor countries?

The Asian pirates make me proud for being an Asian.

Don't waste your time by preaching anti-piracy crap. The only way to stop piracy is good freeware alternative. Take LAME MP3 for example. It almost stopped illegal use of Fraunhofer IIS MP3 codec.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
!