File Transfers

I want to copy files (txt, zip, doc) from my old Windows98 (FAT32) PC
to my new Windows XP Home (NTFS) PC via my home router.

Is it really necessary to use the Windows XP Files & Settings Transfer
Wizard?

Can I just open a connection between the two PCs and copy them
directly (which is much quicker)?

In article <eu6rg1t2qjhi6e4fe5h5tqvn325mcvn6ft@4ax.com>, Gary D.
<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>I want to copy files (txt, zip, doc) from my old Windows98 (FAT32) PC
>to my new Windows XP Home (NTFS) PC via my home router.
>
>Is it really necessary to use the Windows XP Files & Settings Transfer
>Wizard?
>
>Can I just open a connection between the two PCs and copy them
>directly (which is much quicker)?

You don't need to use the FAST Wizard. You can copy files directly
between the two PCs via a network connection, USB flash drive, CD-R,
etc.

The FAST Wizard is useful for people who don't know where their files
are stored, and for those who want to copy Outlook Express E-mail
settings and messages from one computer to another. I don't know of
any other easy way to copy Outlook Express if you want everything:
messages, address books, message rules, accounts, identities, etc.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:18:24 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
<winograd@pobox.com> wrote:

>The FAST Wizard is useful for people who don't know where their files
>are stored, and for those who want to copy Outlook Express E-mail
>settings and messages from one computer to another. I don't know of
>any other easy way to copy Outlook Express if you want everything:
>messages, address books, message rules, accounts, identities, etc.

Thanks.

?
I have never considered FAST for such a transfer.
I am not a speedy typist, so it would be easier for me to just copy
them with a network connection than to ask such a question.

Ami I missing something? (not unusual)

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems