Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Notebook won't shutdown

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 6, 2012 7:48:40 AM

Good day to all.
I have problem with my notebook with Win 7. I can't shutdown using the start menu. Only the sleep or hibernate function. Please help me.

Ryan

More about : notebook shutdown

a c 288 $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 2:49:14 PM

You may have an application or process running in the background that is not shutting down properly. Close all tray applications that you can, make sure you close all programs first, and try again. If that works, you need to see what you have installed that may be causing this. Check the Event Log for any application erorrs.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 3:04:14 PM
Share

Have you gone into the power options and checked the settings to make sure that the option for shut down is selected and not just sleep and hibernate. You will have to select the power plan your usinf and the advanced button to check the settings. You can also create your own power plan to have the settings the way you want and currently you may have a power saving plan selected because it is a laptop.
You can shut the laptop off by pressing and holding the power button.
Related resources
November 7, 2012 8:20:55 AM

Best answer selected by ryan711.
November 7, 2012 8:21:09 AM

Thanks! It's back to normal.
August 1, 2013 11:22:05 PM

ryan711 said:
Good day to all.
I have problem with my notebook with Win 7. I can't shutdown using the start menu. Only the sleep or hibernate function. Please help me.

Ryan


I had the same issue, turns out there is a hotfix that seems to do the job!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

Cheers
August 2, 2013 8:15:40 PM

Thanks Jack for sharing this. Ryan

JackScarlet said:
ryan711 said:
Good day to all.
I have problem with my notebook with Win 7. I can't shutdown using the start menu. Only the sleep or hibernate function. Please help me.

Ryan


I had the same issue, turns out there is a hotfix that seems to do the job!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

Cheers


August 3, 2013 12:22:12 AM

Mandy711 said:
Thanks Jack for sharing this. Ryan

JackScarlet said:
ryan711 said:
Good day to all.
I have problem with my notebook with Win 7. I can't shutdown using the start menu. Only the sleep or hibernate function. Please help me.

Ryan


I had the same issue, turns out there is a hotfix that seems to do the job!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

Cheers




No worries :D  I searched for days through dozens of forums without luck untill I came across the Hotfix in a very loosely related google search. I have posted it in a number of places on this forum in the hope it will be easier for others to find.
!