Random Help Screen Pop Ups in Win XP

August 25, 2005 1:06:43 PM

Hi,
I have a user with a Compaq nx9010 laptop running Win XP SP2. 266Ghz
and 192 Mb Ram.

His problem is that he can be in an application - ANY application - and
quite at random and without warning the application's help screen will
pop up.

Needless to say, he hasn't asked for the help screen(s). I have asked
the user if he is pressing any specific sequence of keys prior to the
help pop up.

He has said that this can happen 3 or 4 times during a morning and not
to any set time frequency that he has noticed.

Any adeas, please as to whether XP has a keystroke set up for help
shortcuts?

Thanks a lot
AVmetA4

--
AVmetA4
August 25, 2005 1:06:44 PM

AVmetA4 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a user with a Compaq nx9010 laptop running Win XP SP2. 266Ghz
> and 192 Mb Ram.
>
> His problem is that he can be in an application - ANY application -
> and quite at random and without warning the application's help screen
> will pop up.
>
> Needless to say, he hasn't asked for the help screen(s). I have asked
> the user if he is pressing any specific sequence of keys prior to the
> help pop up.
>
> He has said that this can happen 3 or 4 times during a morning and not
> to any set time frequency that he has noticed.
>
> Any adeas, please as to whether XP has a keystroke set up for help
> shortcuts?

F1 will usually start Help in applications. However, Compaq has their
own laptop keyboard program so you should look at its options first. Of
course, the laptop's keyboard may be failing and for that you would
need to contact Compaq.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In many applications pressing F1 brings up the help file, so I'm thinking that key may be sticking and making contact without a direct key press. Often a sticking key can be fixed by just turning the keyboard upside down and shaking out the accumulation of crumbs, but if that doesn't work I would try a substitute keyboard to see if that changes the situation.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/