UPGRADING CPU IN 8300

I have a Dell 8300 with a i875 chipset motherboard with a 800 MHz front side
bus. If I want to upgrade the CPU from it's current 2.6 to say 3.2 MHz, am
I right in thinking that this is a CPU with a 478 Socket? I was looking at
the www.newegg.com site and noted that it isn't as easy as just sticking in
a higher speed CPU and that is that. There are loads of different chips
from Intel that have pretty much the same specs but have different socket.
Some are for the Prescott/Northwood and some seem just for Pentium 4 with
Hyperthreading, which my current CPU has. Until I looked under the
motherboard section in Newegg, I didn't know what kind of socket was in my
Dell 8300.

Ron

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but in my opinion this
upgrade would be a waste of money - you just wouldn't see that much of
a difference (if any). On top of that you open can of worms here b/c
newer CPUs generate more heat, and your Dell may not be able to cool
your system block with new CPU effectively, which may create all kinds
fo hard to track problems. As we all know, Dell case isn't really
customizable to allow you to install more fans.

I don't know what the config of your system is and you goal, but
increasing the amount of RAM or getting faster hard drive can show real
benefits.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I would check Dell's customer forum for advice about upgrading your system.

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell 8300 with a i875 chipset motherboard with a 800 MHz front
>side
> bus. If I want to upgrade the CPU from it's current 2.6 to say 3.2 MHz,
> am
> I right in thinking that this is a CPU with a 478 Socket? I was looking
> at
> the www.newegg.com site and noted that it isn't as easy as just sticking
> in
> a higher speed CPU and that is that. There are loads of different chips
> from Intel that have pretty much the same specs but have different socket.
> Some are for the Prescott/Northwood and some seem just for Pentium 4 with
> Hyperthreading, which my current CPU has. Until I looked under the
> motherboard section in Newegg, I didn't know what kind of socket was in my
> Dell 8300.
>
> Ron

Well the reason behind the thought to upgrade to the 3.2 GB CPU is that was
the upper limit for the i875 when I purchased it from Dell, and I already
have tripled the RAM on the 8300 from 512 Mb to 1.5 GB and there was a
notable difference. Also the 80 GB HD is a 7000 rpm ATA drive and it is
just over half filled.

What would be a waste of money is I can also get the Extreme Graphics 3.2 GB
chip for the i875 chipset motherboard, but at almost triple the cost. I was
just curious since a 3.2 option was available on the computer when I bought
it back in 2003, and this is from the same Intel family of CPUs so as far as
I can tell, this would be a fair swap of CPUs from 2.6 to 3.2. I would
think that if I ever replaced the CPU I would also as a cautionary step
replace the CPU fan that came with it. Seems just prudent to do so.