Scenario: Travelling w Palm + phone + Dig camera

November 9, 2004 8:15:57 PM

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Tungsten E, and upgrading to a tri-band
phone.

I have questions which are mabye better illustrated with a scenario:

You've been travelling and you've just arrived in some tiny town with
no Internet cafe. You have your Tungsten E, your dig Camera, and your
tri-band phone.

You want to:
1. send/receive your emails
2. update your webpage which you were (mostly text) editing on the
plane
3. Use the Tungsten to receive pictures from your dig camera, and then
minimize, and add them to emails/upload them to your webpage.

You do all this using the software in the Tungsten to get the phone to
connect to a local ISP using (eg) GRIC dialler.

The Tungsten hangs up after the send/receive/upload is over, so the
call should take less than 60 seconds (obviously more if you're
uploading pictures).
You then (offline) read and respond to emails.

Also, your email prog doesn't automatically download attachments, so
you wont be forced to dl a 2mb attatchment, or spam filled with pics.

Is this scenario a fantasy/possible?

thanks,

Andy
ps if theres a web page /FAQ which already covers this please let me
know
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:33:20 PM

Hi Andybaby,

I've just spent the last 2 months researching Palm solutions for
e-mail/Internet. I just met with the client today to discuss the
hardware/software package I am recommending

1. Motorola V505 GSM phone
2. Palm Tungsten|T3
3. SnapperMail Premium
4. LightNzip
5. BtToggle Pro
6. WebPro
7. Agendus
8. Smartlist-to-Go
9. BackupMan
10. FileMan
11. 512MB SD card

The only thing this package won't do is straight 'ftp' upload/download.

I've been using the above setup for about a month, and it has been
working extremely well.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

Andybaby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of getting a Tungsten E, and upgrading to a tri-band
> phone.
>
> I have questions which are mabye better illustrated with a scenario:
>
> You've been travelling and you've just arrived in some tiny town with
> no Internet cafe. You have your Tungsten E, your dig Camera, and your
> tri-band phone.
>
> You want to:
> 1. send/receive your emails
> 2. update your webpage which you were (mostly text) editing on the
> plane
> 3. Use the Tungsten to receive pictures from your dig camera, and then
> minimize, and add them to emails/upload them to your webpage.
>
> You do all this using the software in the Tungsten to get the phone to
> connect to a local ISP using (eg) GRIC dialler.
>
> The Tungsten hangs up after the send/receive/upload is over, so the
> call should take less than 60 seconds (obviously more if you're
> uploading pictures).
> You then (offline) read and respond to emails.
>
> Also, your email prog doesn't automatically download attachments, so
> you wont be forced to dl a 2mb attatchment, or spam filled with pics.
>
> Is this scenario a fantasy/possible?
>
> thanks,
>
> Andy
> ps if theres a web page /FAQ which already covers this please let me
> know
November 10, 2004 2:11:14 AM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> The only thing this package won't do is straight 'ftp'
> upload/download.
So google for it, and you'd probably find Lftp, among others.
November 10, 2004 5:31:56 AM

On 9-Nov-2004, privacy_101@hotmail.com (Andybaby) Flushed this thought from his
brain to the screen::

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of getting a Tungsten E, and upgrading to a tri-band
> phone.
>
> I have questions which are mabye better illustrated with a scenario:
>
> You've been travelling and you've just arrived in some tiny town with
> no Internet cafe. You have your Tungsten E, your dig Camera, and your
> tri-band phone.

Your scenario would be a lot easier with a BlueTooth enabled Palm (Z72, T3, T5)
since the only way you could connect with the T|E would be by IrDA. The
software that came with my Z72 fulfills your needs, and it connects great to my
Sony Ericsson T616 wirelessly with BT.

WyreNut

--
If you had to ~run~ for your life, how long would you live?
Anonymous

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:31:56 GMT, WyreNut had this to say...

> Your scenario would be a lot easier with a BlueTooth enabled Palm (Z72, T3, T5)
> since the only way you could connect with the T|E would be by IrDA

Dito

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Don't you think that you miss a bluetooth earpiece?

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<2vdgg8F2l9g8aU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Hi Andybaby,
>
> I've just spent the last 2 months researching Palm solutions for
> e-mail/Internet. I just met with the client today to discuss the
> hardware/software package I am recommending
>
> 1. Motorola V505 GSM phone
> 2. Palm Tungsten|T3
> 3. SnapperMail Premium
> 4. LightNzip
> 5. BtToggle Pro
> 6. WebPro
> 7. Agendus
> 8. Smartlist-to-Go
> 9. BackupMan
> 10. FileMan
> 11. 512MB SD card
>
> The only thing this package won't do is straight 'ftp' upload/download.
>
> I've been using the above setup for about a month, and it has been
> working extremely well.
>
> Ciao . . . C.Joseph
>
> That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
> He esteems too lightly
>

> Andybaby wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm thinking of getting a Tungsten E, and upgrading to a tri-band
> > phone.
> >
> > I have questions which are mabye better illustrated with a scenario:
> >
> > You've been travelling and you've just arrived in some tiny town with
> > no Internet cafe. You have your Tungsten E, your dig Camera, and your
> > tri-band phone.
> >
> > You want to:
> > 1. send/receive your emails
> > 2. update your webpage which you were (mostly text) editing on the
> > plane
> > 3. Use the Tungsten to receive pictures from your dig camera, and then
> > minimize, and add them to emails/upload them to your webpage.
> >
> > You do all this using the software in the Tungsten to get the phone to
> > connect to a local ISP using (eg) GRIC dialler.
> >
> > The Tungsten hangs up after the send/receive/upload is over, so the
> > call should take less than 60 seconds (obviously more if you're
> > uploading pictures).
> > You then (offline) read and respond to emails.
> >
> > Also, your email prog doesn't automatically download attachments, so
> > you wont be forced to dl a 2mb attatchment, or spam filled with pics.
> >
> > Is this scenario a fantasy/possible?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Andy
> > ps if theres a web page /FAQ which already covers this please let me
> > know
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:10:42 PM

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 3:56:57 PM

Hi Drayton,

You could always buy a Sony Erricsson T630, it is cheap, nice looking, small
and with camera, with the saved money you can buy the Bleutooth headphone :)
I gess that you don't need a very expensive mobile when you have the T3.

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> escreveu na mensagem
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 12:33:24 PM

!