nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
MICROSOFT'S RUSH to get Windows XP SP1 out and about may have been motivated by a desire to hide a vulnerability afflicting the operating system (cough) that allows hackers to delete files from a computer accessing a tweaked web page.

According to a site, there is, "a defect in Windows XP allows that anyone can erase archives of our computer if click becomes on a connection maliciously constructed, as much when visiting a malignant Web site, like a receiving a message with format HTML".

A reader writes a little more clearly that this vulnerability allows the files contained in any specified directory on your system to be deleted if you click on a specially-formed URL. He points to Gibson Research here, where they warn, "This URL could appear anywhere: sent in malicious eMail, in a chat room, in a newsgroup posting, on a malicious web page, or even executed when your computer merely visits a malicious web page. It is likely to be widely exploited soon."

This is a critical vulnerability and one Microsoft has done its best to keep secret, it seems.

Another reader tells us he saw a report on TechTV, the background to which they give here where they state that Microsoft has known about the flaw for some 11 weeks but kept the lid on it because it is so easy to exploit.

Microsoft urges Windows XP users to download the Service Pack and install it as quickly as possible. You can find that here . It's a large file, though, and CD versions are only available on the US and Canada at the moment, according to Microsoft.

The advice from various sources for users unable to install the Service Pack is to find and rename the affected file uplddrvinfo.htm

From <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net</A>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
*yawn*

My XP plays Aoe2 really well. I've even gotten sam and max to work on it with vdmsound, but you have to make a sample sound config file under win98 first because the sound config program will crash under xp.

And I lost the config file back when I formatted the wrong cdrw. I still don't know what all I lost in that format.

And I don't have 9x running on any machines, so my only hope is WineX. And I haven't figured out how to get it working yet, regardless that I have the dos 6.22 install disks and win95 osr2 cdrom.

Man, if it's not one workaround, it's another. There's a point where you just pull all of your people out, and nuke the entire site from orbit.

If I'd been running Normady, that's what I'd have done. It'd have been, "General? Yeah, I've got, like 300 B-52's inbound with about 100,000 pounds of nap. in each one. Yep, that's right; a little barbeque. You might get all your people out of there, and wait until the fire dies down. Oh, figure about 40 square miles. Yeah, they'll need shoes when they are walking around there afterwards..."

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!

Jezmund

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I haven't been around lately but when I heard about the XP security hole I thought I'd hear more people on this site talking about it.

I guess I'm just wondering if I missed the initial buzz about the flaw or something but when a link on a website can potentially erase files from a specified directory (like C:\Windows) then I'm more than a little intrigued.

Here's a link to a techtv article explaining how to fix the problem without SP1 having to be installed:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3399191,00.html

Excerpt:

"If, for whatever reason, you don't or can't download SP1, there is an alternative method to fixing the XP security hole.

The alternative solution involves renaming or deleting a file on your system. Here are the steps.

Start a file search in Windows XP.
Search for a file named uplddrvinfo.htm
Once you've found the file, delete it or rename it. Doing so will not hinder your ability to use Windows XP.

Posted September 11, 2002"

I'm no l33t h4xor or whatever so I may be just way out of the loop.

Jez

Keep your blood clean,your body lean,and your mind sharp.-Henry Rollins