Ebay SWE1-is this a scam?

Though it seems his first transaction is valid I'd still be careful
since he didn't provide pics or let you see it.

Chas

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

If you can not pick up the machine if you wish to then that should be a
red flag. Why should you be forced to have it shipped? Pass, how many
of these were made again?

Remember it is only a game, do you want to be all upset for months when
you end up getting ripped off or do you want to keep looking and keep
your money? Just not worth the risk.

Looks like he accepts paypal for the item, so you could always get your
money back through your credit card or paypal if nothing got delivered
or it was not what it was suppose to be.

Brian

BrianAce wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193990628
> I guess if I have to ask...
> I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the actual machine being
> sold, BTW. Since he refuses to allow local pick up, I don't know how
> accomodating he will be with this request. I want a SWE1, but not bad
> enough that I'd risk getting ripped off to buy one.
> Brian

His reason for no local pickup is pretty lame. If his "valuable star
wars memorabilia" is worth THAT much...you wouldnt keep it in a
"storage unit". Funny how he trusts a moving company to meet him there
(and see/steal his valuable things) but not someone giving him
thousands of dollars!

May not be a scam...but from the Q & A near the bottom he IS an ass for
sure.

I'd pass.

Barry - NY

Brian Morris wrote:
> Looks like he accepts paypal for the item, so you could always get your
> money back through your credit card or paypal if nothing got delivered
> or it was not what it was suppose to be.

Note this line from the auction:

THIS ITEM SHIPS OUT NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST, AND NO
LATER THAN AUGUST 7TH! Please make sure you are okay with this time
frame BEFORE YOU BID!

Paypal won't accept complaints after thirty days and since he's said it
may not ship it until August 7th, he could easily string you along
("It's in transit") until the 30 days are up. Then you're screwed.

-- Rich Fife --

Thanks for all the replies-definitely not worth it. Still looking for
one of these, if anyone has one for sale, Legitimately, that is!
Brian

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I would hate to miss a chance to get what (if legitimate) would be a
really nice pinball machine.

His first auction showed a location of Colton, CA - though he will not
"reveal" his location now:)

Guess that is always the dilemma. The logical part of my brain says
"Too good to be true" - but the other part says "Don't miss a great
deal!".

His other active items are not high dollar. This machine is the "big
one". And being new (at least with his current Ebay ID), I see a big
red flag. But on the other hand . . . . .

Bottom line, I believe there is a scam or hook there. But it will be
interesting to watch.

Rick

BrianAce wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193990628
> I guess if I have to ask...
> I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the actual machine being
> sold, BTW. Since he refuses to allow local pick up, I don't know how
> accomodating he will be with this request. I want a SWE1, but not bad
> enough that I'd risk getting ripped off to buy one.
> Brian

When buying a pig in a poke, bid accordingly. This seller is a jerk,
not a scam artist. Scam artists don't say things like "can't" and
"won't" in their auctions, it scares the pigeons away. This guy is
probably going to lose 50 percent or more of the value of his machine
due to his stupidity and orneriness. Frankly, I'm surprised he's not
from "Illions" like that other master of customer relations who gets
written about on RGP. There's real a pinball machine here, but what
condition it's in is anyone's guess. If I were in the market for one
of these, I'd bid $1,375, which is the amount he says will qualify for
free shipping.

- Josh A.

Try reading the text and QA of the auction in the voice of Comic Book
Shop Guy from The Simpsons. He's got the rhythm and word patterns down
perfectly.

-- Rich Fife --

Tonight at 11:00

BIG STAR WARS HEIST!

Precious collection stolen! Carrie Fishers panties, Harrison Ford's
hair brush! George Lucas's hair trimmings from a cut he had done while
shooting episode IV!

The owner was quoted as saying, "I KNEW EBAY WAS BAD! Damm my trusting
nature! My vault is gone...."

More on this as it develops..

Josh A. wrote:
> When buying a pig in a poke, bid accordingly. This seller is a jerk,
> not a scam artist. Scam artists don't say things like "can't" and
> "won't" in their auctions, it scares the pigeons away. This guy is
> probably going to lose 50 percent or more of the value of his machine
> due to his stupidity and orneriness. Frankly, I'm surprised he's not
> from "Illions" like that other master of customer relations who gets
> written about on RGP. There's real a pinball machine here, but what
> condition it's in is anyone's guess. If I were in the market for one
> of these, I'd bid $1,375, which is the amount he says will qualify for
> free shipping.
>
> - Josh A.

I'd take it a step further, offer that price and then tell him you'll
pay him the day before he ships it. That way, if it doesn't ship, you
can file the complaint in a timely fashion. If he's legite, he should
take it... of course, if he was really legite, he'd let you pick it up,
but we mustn't endanger his secret Jedi Lair.

-Deech

Not worth the effort in my mind. Afterall he has supplied no pics of the
actual machine or other info about it AND look at the responses to the
questions.

I would look for another opportunity if I was you, but thats just me.

Greg

"BrianAce" <blaceb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193990628
> I guess if I have to ask...
> I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the actual machine being
> sold, BTW. Since he refuses to allow local pick up, I don't know how
> accomodating he will be with this request. I want a SWE1, but not bad
> enough that I'd risk getting ripped off to buy one.
> Brian

Oh and he just joined in April of this year and has had 1 auction and 1
feedback. Too much trouble in my eyes.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:39:57 GMT, Greg S wrote:
> Oh and he just joined in April of this year and has had 1 auction and 1
> feedback. Too much trouble in my eyes.

ANd the auction wasn't even for things from his Jedi Fortress of Cool
Stuff.

Maybe it's not a scam, but the guy sounds like a paranoid flake who's
going to be a pain to deal with. It's not like SWE1 is a rare machine...

--
45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for
what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not

My "Baydar" indicates that this is not a scam but
a fairly clueless and rude seller. It could still be a bad
deal, but I don't get the feeling he's the usual scammer.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/

"Rick" <rblethen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would hate to miss a chance to get what (if legitimate) would be a
> really nice pinball machine.
>
> His first auction showed a location of Colton, CA - though he will not
> "reveal" his location now:)
>
> Guess that is always the dilemma. The logical part of my brain says
> "Too good to be true" - but the other part says "Don't miss a great
> deal!".
>
> His other active items are not high dollar. This machine is the "big
> one". And being new (at least with his current Ebay ID), I see a big
> red flag. But on the other hand . . . . .
>
> Bottom line, I believe there is a scam or hook there. But it will be
> interesting to watch.
>
> Rick
>
> BrianAce wrote:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193990628
>> I guess if I have to ask...
>> I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the actual machine being
>> sold, BTW. Since he refuses to allow local pick up, I don't know how
>> accomodating he will be with this request. I want a SWE1, but not bad
>> enough that I'd risk getting ripped off to buy one.
>> Brian

Wow, he told us.. Guess we are all idiots..

BUT.... My money is not tied up in toys for kids, my wife is here with
me, and I am not seeking out people posting about me on a web site...
I score us ahead here..

All I do not have is HIS game.. yet I feel I am missing nothing..

Anyone else picturing Ralph from the Simpsons skipping down the street
chanting "I beat the smart kids"

"Oh no.. I bent my Wookie"

I love being part of the Idiots, it worked for my Red Sox last year!

"Removed because the item is no longer for sale."

Maybe someone came and picked it up. :)

"BrianAce" <blaceb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193990628
> I guess if I have to ask...
> I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the actual machine being
> sold, BTW. Since he refuses to allow local pick up, I don't know how
> accomodating he will be with this request. I want a SWE1, but not bad
> enough that I'd risk getting ripped off to buy one.
> Brian

He is a just plain ass. You don't need his headaches,
Malcom
"Pac-Man Fever" <pacmanfeverR3M0V3THYS@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Removed because the item is no longer for sale."
>
> Maybe someone came and picked it up. :)
>
> "BrianAce" <blaceb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193990628
> > I guess if I have to ask...
> > I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the actual machine being
> > sold, BTW. Since he refuses to allow local pick up, I don't know how
> > accomodating he will be with this request. I want a SWE1, but not bad
> > enough that I'd risk getting ripped off to buy one.
> > Brian

> seeking out people posting about me on a web site...

I heard some ass sent him the link to R.G.P. in the high-hopes this
would happen!

:p

Barry - NY
(Who also pokes bees-nests)

Good call on this one BrianAce. It was a scam. The whole sob story
really proves it. I wish people would get a clue when they sell their
Pinball on EBAY. Take a picture of the game you are selling..... How
do we know this game wasn't dropped en route to your storage unit ...
or has been crushed in storage by the 12 Carbonite Han Solo's you have
in storage.
I would suggest to the seller is to have a trusted friend help you take
the game out of storage and take it to your place or his and play a few
games and take pictures.. Then sell it on EBAY and allow for local P/U
by the winning bidder. Pulling your listing only hurts you and has no
effect on Collectors. There is just to many SWE1 out there along with
playfields to be put into RFM for us to care about your 1 game.
Also if your strapped for cash you might to consider a different
attitude when answering questions on EBay. Your answers to the
questions really make you look bad. in a funny way though hehe.
Lewis

I think it would have been fair to at least send some pictures. If I
was to spend the money I would at least like to see what I am buying.
Would you buy anything site unseen? Additionally, if you really wanted
to sell it and you where afraid of people seeing the rest of your
collection then why couldn't you meet a block or so away from your
storage unit if somebody wanted to pick it. This way neither party
gets ripped off. I don't think it would be that much of an effort to
do this.

If you still couldn't do this then I would say your either a scam
artist who diserves what people are saying about you or somebody who
has no clue what Ebay is about.

My two cents!