upgrading compaq 50o0 from windows me to windows xp.

hi all,

yet another question. i want to put windows xp on a compaq 5000 that has
a amd athlon 1.1 ghz processor and the via kt133a apollo chip set.

can this be done easily. do i have to reinstall the apollo kt133 apollo
chipset driver afters i install xp professional.

any tips (besides buying a new machine) for upgrading would be appreciated.

im also adding memory and a new ati video card at the same time.

Before doing an upgrade, I would identify all chipsets in the computer and
download the necessary drivers from the chipset manufacturers' web sites,
including Via for the KT133A. Lack of available drivers is most frequent reason
for a failed upgrade to ANY Windows release.

The Windows ME drivers for the KT133A will not work. There may or may not be
KT133A drivers on XP. Micro$oft also has a free download of software to check
your computer for readiness to install XP. Try it. But, like other Microsoft
products, the information it yields may not be perfect... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:19:15 GMT, bob brozewicz <brozewicz.rf@verizon.net>
wrote:

>hi all,
>
>yet another question. i want to put windows xp on a compaq 5000 that has
>a amd athlon 1.1 ghz processor and the via kt133a apollo chip set.
>
>can this be done easily. do i have to reinstall the apollo kt133 apollo
>chipset driver afters i install xp professional.
>
>any tips (besides buying a new machine) for upgrading would be appreciated.
>
>im also adding memory and a new ati video card at the same time.

Hallo,

I have a Compaq Presario notebook 1230. OS W 95.
I want to put it into my network.using a silicom USB ethernet adapter.
I also use a laserprinter XEROX 4510 connected to this laptop.

The silicom USB ethernet adapter only runs om W 98 (SE?)
If I try to instal a W98 OS the running system does not accept any other OS.
Even formatting is denied.

I only want to be able to conect to my network, use my my printer and go to
WWW.
Has anybody a solution?

greetz,

Eugène

First of all, you would probably be a lot better off with a PCMCIA network
adapter than a USB one.

Second, to install WIndows 98 (Do you have First or Second Edition?), you need
the Windows 98 CD and a valid Certificate of Authentication.

Third, if the computer does not boot from the CD, you need a Windows 98 boot
disk, which can be obtained from www.bootdisk.com .

Next, using the boot disk, delete all partitions from the hard drive, then
create a single primary partition. Use the FDISK program.

Next, reboot, and Format the partition with system files. Use the command
FORMAT C: /S

Next, make sure the system boots from the hard drive, ending with the C: command
prompt displayed. If so, install Windows 98.

After installing Windows 98, you may still need to install drivers for the
motherboard chipset and video card.

Finally, install the network adapter of your choice and connect the computer to
your network, and install the Windows 98 drivers for the Xerox printer.

.... Ben Myers