Windows XP System Set up and Outlook

August 25, 2005 9:33:09 AM

Dear All,

It looks as either a virus or something else has reconfigured my Win XP
machine including Outlook. For instance it was working as normal and the
next time the machine was started up the backgound wallpaper had been changed
to a completely new setting and also when I try to go into Outlook it is now
trying to re-configure and set-up Outlook from scratch.

Can you please give me some ideas on what may have caused this and also how
to revert back to my original Windows settings. In addition I would
appreciate it if you could also let me know how I can recover my key Outlook
folders such as the Inbox and Outbox and the Address book if I do end up
having to re-install/re-configure Outlook and possibly Windows as well.

Prior to this occuring there was something that had changed the default home
page on IE and also there appeared to be some thing like an ISP which I did
not recognise which was trying to dial out to the internet. Any ideas on how
to reverse these will also be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

DRTP
August 25, 2005 10:56:50 AM

DRTP wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> It looks as either a virus or something else has reconfigured my Win
> XP
> machine including Outlook. For instance it was working as normal and
> the next time the machine was started up the backgound wallpaper had
> been changed to a completely new setting and also when I try to go
> into Outlook it is now trying to re-configure and set-up Outlook from
> scratch.
>
> Can you please give me some ideas on what may have caused this and
> also how
> to revert back to my original Windows settings. In addition I would
> appreciate it if you could also let me know how I can recover my key
> Outlook folders such as the Inbox and Outbox and the Address book if I
> do end up having to re-install/re-configure Outlook and possibly
> Windows as well.
>
> Prior to this occuring there was something that had changed the
> default home page on IE and also there appeared to be some thing like
> an ISP which I did
> not recognise which was trying to dial out to the internet. Any ideas
> on how to reverse these will also be greatfully received.

Your computer has viruses and/or malware and you will need to clean it
up. Here are malware removal steps. Do everything with updated tools in
Safe Mode. You may need to get the tools from a different, known-clean
machine with an Internet connection and a cd burner (or have a usb
thumbdrive with enough capacity to transfer the tools and updates).

If you do not have a current antivirus (not earlier than 2004) installed
with an up-to-date virus subscription, start the clean up by running
TrendMicro's Sysclean. Instructions for this are at the link below
also.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--